It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP pathology not good...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
    jenebeka
    (female)

jenebeka HB User
    LEEP pathology not good...help

I went to the doctor today for my follow-up. I was so anxiously awaiting some good news so I can feel like my life is getting back to normal. However, it wasn't meant to be for me today. My pathology report did confirm severe dysplasia. I'm thankful it didn't say cancer. However, my margins were not clear. So, I will be going back to the doctor in three months for another pap smear. I don't think severe dysplasia is going to go away on its own. So, I'm guessing I will start all over with another colposcopy, biopsy, surgery....

Right now my emotions are all over the place. I'm very sad and have been crying all day. I'm angry that I have this from a STD. I'm terrified of cancer and losing my fertility. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get through the next three months with any peace. Two best friends and two close family members just had babies. It's so hard to watch them and know that this very well may never be a possibility for me.

I'm trying to stay positive. I'm praying, eating well, etc. However, it doesn't help the shock I'm feeling right now and the reality that has set in. I keep thinking why why why did this happen to me?

I need advise from anyone going through something like this. I'm making an appointment with a counselor today, that's my first step. I need to get through this gloom I feel.

Thanks!
    JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User
    Re: LEEP pathology not good...help

((JB)) I'm sorry that your LEEP pathology did not show clear margins, but good news that it was all severe dysplasia and NO CANCER . I know this is a frustrating, worrisome, confusing, all kinds of crazy emotions time. I have recently read some research that states the likelihood of CIN 3 regressing is 33%, so there IS a chance that it will regress. Also, not all cases of CIN 3 will progress to an invasive cancer, yes, there is a greater risk (over 12% according to the study I read), but it does not mean cancer is an eventuality. The LEEP is also a good tool because it cauterizes the tissue that has been cut and sometimes that cauterization can lead to a regression in the cell changes. I will keep my fingers crossed that this will happen in your case.

In the meantime, embrace the emotions you are feeling and validate them. You have every right to feel the way you are feeling. It is okay for you to feel this way. But then after doing this, be sure to tell yourself that you are going to beat this, you are going to gain strength from this, and this strength will kick those bad cells into oblivion and they are NOT going to control who you are.

Thinking of you, JB.

Karen

Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Studies show that people with positive margins are NOT more likely to have a recurrence of dysplasia than people with negative margins. That's because the wound is cauterized after the tissue is removed, so often any leftover dysplasia is often destroyed.

I can cite you the study(ies) if you want, and if I check the healthboard rules and see it's ok.

Just keep up with your Pap smears and do NOT freak out til it's really time to.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
    freesoul
    (female)

freesoul HB User

Hi JB, I'm so sorry to hear you did not get clear margin's on your LEEP.As the other ladie's said,it may clear over the next three month's,even the process of the tissue being removed is sometime's enough to get dysplasia to clear on it's own.And the biggest portion of it was removed,so try not to worry too much.It's hard not to though,your emotion's will be up and down with this for awhile.Just remember,it's still dysplasia and can be treated and booted out the door!! Your doctor I am sure will do everything possible to ensure your fertility,keep the faith!We are here for you,anytime.Let us know what happen's,take care.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
    spunkygal
    (female)

spunkygal HB User

Hi JB,

I'm new to this board and just wanted to let you know that I am in the same exact boat you are. I have always had normal paps until October 2005 when I found out that I have HPV. I was scared, worried, angry, you name it. I've been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since I found out I have not just the virus, but the dysplasia as well.

My biopsy in November showed that I had CIN2/CIN3. I had the LEEP in January 2006. The pathology report showed clear margin but a range of dysplasia from CIN1-CIN3. Then I played the waiting game for 4 months until my follow up last month. I had such high hopes that I could beat this thing since I'm otherwise healthy, don't smoke, eat right, exercise, and was taking a multivitamin. Apparently, that's not enough because my first follow up PAP came back abnormal again. Because I had CIN3 last time, my gyno didn't want to wait it out so I had yet another LEEP just this past Monday 6/19. She just called me last night with my pathology report and it came back showing severe dysplasia. She said she was glad we did a 2nd LEEP because of the severe dysplasia.

Needless to say, I was upset to hear that it was severe dysplasia. I cried and just felt drained last night. I woke up today feeling depressed. Then for the remainder of today, I was angry. And I'm still angry...for many reasons. For having this thing to begin with (I've always been very careful), because there is no cure for the virus, because I might end up having a hysterectomy (I don't have kids and I'm not sure I want any at age 37 but I don't like the choice being taken away from me)...I could list more but I'm sure anyone who is dealing with this feels the same way. I just want this thing to be over and done with. I've quit the birth control pill and I'm doing naturopathic treatments as well. I'm doing everything possible but it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

My post LEEP PAP will be 4 months now so I'm back to playing the waiting game again. This whole ordeal just sucks. I'd love to hear more positive outcomes from women who have had CIN3....that would at least give me more hope that I won't have to resort to a hysterectomy.

If anything, it was cathartic for me to post my story. Thanks for reading.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
    88Shadow
    (female)

88Shadow HB User

I too am sorry you all are facing this. I just want to offer a suggestion of something natural you might try. I'm still in the process of seeing if this works and I posted about it last year in a post called Using Vitamins and Minerals to reverse cervical dysplasia. This protocol was given to me by my doctor - not something I came up with. I've been fighting cervical dysplasia but it's never progressed past mild (thank goodness). My doctor did however use this exact protocol on one of her patients with severe dysplasia. After one three month cycle, the patient had regressed to mild. After the second three month cycle, she was normal and my doc said the patient has kept having normal paps. Now - would she have regressed on her own? Possibly. I have tried two cycles of this protocol and after the first had a normal pap. We waited three months and I was ASCUS. I did another three months of the vitamins and minerals and came back normal. Just had a follow up pap at six months and am waiting on the results next week with fingers crossed. I'm just offering this in case any of you want to approach your doctor about giving it a try while you're in the wonderful waiting mode. I've researched my doctor's recommendations and they all are valid. Here's what she put me on and keep in mind I was under a doctor's supervision and you can't even get folic acid in this doseage without a prescription so you'll have to find a doctor willing to let you do this:

A protocol of 25,000 i.u. Vitamin A and Cerviplex (which is 400 mg. Indole-3-Carbinol) once a day. These were both over the counter supplements. I was also on 5 mg of Folic Acid two times a day (for a total of 10 mgs a day - need a prescription for this!) and 500 mg. Vitamin C two times a day (for a total of 1000 mg). She also had me switch to natural cotton tampons and for seven days while not on my period, I put the liquid from a Vit. A capsule on the end of the tampon and stuck it up next to my cervix.

This was a three month deal each time followed by a pap smear. I just wanted to offer this info up to any of you who can't stand the sit and do nothing approach. I go crazy when I have to do that. I'll let you all know what my latest pap shows when I get the results. Oh - I also have high risk HPV.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
    spunkygal
    (female)

spunkygal HB User

Thanks for the suggestion 88Shadow. I'm going to the naturopathic doc this Wed. and will take your suggestion with me. She already has me on prescription strength folic acid and beta carotene so she mentioned adding some other things to my treatment now that she knows my Leep results came back as severe dysplasia. She did tell me that she had a patient who also had severe dysplasia, had 2 LEEPs done, had quit the pill and went on the naturopathic treatment. At this gal's 1st follow up pap after her 2nd LEEP, her dysplasia had regressed to mild. So hearing these cases where severe dysplasia had regressed (with or without naturopathic treatment) gives me some hope.

I'm still angry about this whole thing which I suppose is better than being depressed about it since anger tends to make me be more proactive about trying to do something about it. I really thought that I had been cured after the first LEEP so I didn't do more than just start taking multivitamins and eat more fruits/veggies. But now I'm hell bent on trying to do all I can to prevent the hysterectomy route. I've quit the BC pill as of this last LEEP and I've started this naturopathic treatment. I'll keep you posted to see how this goes for me. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
    jenebeka
    (female)

jenebeka HB User

Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies and homeopathic suggestions. I will definitely ask my doctor about that when I go in for my next appointment. I'm trying so hard not to freak out about all of this. I know that stress plays a big role in the body not getting well. I'm fighting this the best way I know how. It's a day to day thing for me. Somedays I'm fine and feel very hopeful. Other days, well, it's a different story.

I will keep you all posted on how things go for me. I really appreciate it when people post positive stories. These boards are meant for support and most of us are here because of this experience we are going through. We must all remember to come back when things get okay for us. I feel so hopeful when I hear other people having some good news. I'm so sick of having bad news from the doctor!

I have learned from this experience not to take life for granted. Thanks for all of you being here. Let's promise each other not to stress over this and let's know that everything will be okay because we are taking care of ourselves by going to the doctor.

Hugs to everyone,
    JB

Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
    serenity26
    (female)

serenity26 HB User

Hey ladies...

Just a quick little anecdote...may lessen your worries. I had mod-severe dysplasia about 2 years ago. I had my 1st leep and the margins were not clear. I feel your disappointment, pain, and worry. My doctor wanted to do a second leep. We did. And lo and behold--no dysplasia! Anywhere. Did it clear in a month's time? Probably not. It looks like her first cut was damn near perfect and we probably didn't need to do the second. (It did however quell my fears...erring on the safe side and all).

So, hopefully your story will end like mine...2 years later, I finally got the okay to have a full year in between pap smears!!! Good luck, try not to worry. Talk with your doc about all vitamin regimans b/c some have adverse effects on bone density and other things so just stay aware. Mine put me on a high dose of folic acid.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
    88Shadow
    (female)

88Shadow HB User

Absolutely you should be under a doctors care when using high doses of any vitamins or minerals. But keep in mind many doctors are so "pharmaceutical" minded that they aren't open to any type of natural methods to heal things. The point here is to get your body's own immune system strong so that it can fight off the HPV virus and the cell changes that it causes. That includes quitting smoking because smoking is extremely detrimental to your immune system.

If your doctor says you should just wait and see what happens in three months, you always have the option to get a second (or third) opinion. I feel so fortunate I came across my current doc because my original gyn. never gave me any options but to do nothing. In addition, he never explained the HPV issue to me - it was only through my own research that I learned all about it. I had to literally demand from him the info on whether I tested positive or not! Make sure to take charge of your health!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
    spunkygal
    (female)

spunkygal HB User

Thank you all so much for the positive stories. This board needs to have more of those.

JB - you mentioned seeing a counselor to help you deal with this. It's a great idea. I've been doing the same even before this whole HPV/cervical dysplasia thing.

I'm seeing the naturopathic doc on Wed. We'll see what suggestion she has. I'll keep you posted.

In the mean time...stay cool and try not to stress.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
    pp_keke
    (female)

pp_keke HB User

88Shadow, spunkygal,

I want to go see a naturopathic doctor for a second opinion too but I don't know where to find one. Do you have any recommendations? From what I see in the list of doctors of my insurance network, I can tell which doctor is open to alternative medicine!

Old 03-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
    88Shadow
    (female)

88Shadow HB User

My doctor is a family practicioner but she's done a lot of study into this whole situation. I kind of stumbled on her when I read Suzanne Somers book on natural hormone replacement and wanted more information. During the initial exam, my doctor noticed I'd said I had high risk HPV and was having abnormal pap smears. She asked if I'd be interested in trying this protocol that had worked for one of her patients with CINIII as well as several with CINI. That would be my suggestion - look for a doctor who prescribes natural hormone replacement because they're open to non-pharmaceutical health options. To find this out, call a compounding pharmacy in your area and ask which doctors in your town deal with natural hormones. Most likely that doctor would be open to letting you try vitamins and minerals as long as they can monitor you with regular paps. Hope that helps!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
    asilgirl33
    (female)

asilgirl33 HB User

Hello,

I am new to these boards. I've spent alot of time reading other people's stories and feel BLESSED that there is a community of people going through the same experience as I am.

I was diagnosed with HPV in July of 2006. Had a colp/biopsy in August of the same year with CIN I/VAIN I results. Four months later I had a PAP that came back MOD/LOW grade on the cervix and a corrected VIN II diagnosis after a biopsy/colp. Fast forward to March 22, 2007 my PAP came back high grade dysplasia, and my biopsies came make CIN I/CIN III. Just had my LEEP last Thursday and now spend my days dealing with brown, smelly, watery discharge! Everyday is a surprise. The reality of my surgery has started hitting me pretty hard. I've had bouts of crying, feelings of shame and anger. I want this to be over. I want to be healthy. I hate worrying about whether this can turn into something life threatening. So I take one day at a time. I make sure I laugh alot, smile at strangers, and keep family close. What has been the main source of my stress is dealing with HPV without insurance!!
    I've been going to a clinic that is sliding scale IF you qualify, and I was told today that my past procedures (before my surgery) may not be covered because I had lousy insurance at the time (that wasn't going to cover me because it was a pre-existing condition) and I should've told them i had insurance anyway. I was so ANGRY! These people are idiots and I really should've went to another place to begin with. Hindsight is always 20/20.

So now I'm waiting for my results and my follow-up appointment. I am nervous. I never know what to expect when I go to my appointments. My last PAP came as a surprise because like many people on these boards I was doing EVERYTHING RIGHT: exercise, eating right, multivitamins positive attitude...it progressed anyway. I can say alot about HPV, but what I will say is this: HPV definitely keeps you on your toes. It really is like a box of chocolates!

Thank you for letting me go on. I feel better now.

Good luck to you and everyone one of us dealing with this unpredictable virus.

LOVE. JOY.

Asilgirl

Closed Thread