It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Yaz Birth Control

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #106
    gooberj97
    (female)

gooberj97 HB User
    Question Re: Yaz Birth Control

hi .. Yaz is my first birth control, my main reason for being on birth control is to regulate my periods.. my periods can be 7-14 days late and it got way out of hand. The first week on the birth control my period was very heavy and ended very quickly, but I am still expeirencing some spotting and it is the 8th day. I also had painful stomachaches the first couple of nights on Yaz, I am taking thepill in the morning because I read comments on health board that it was a good idea to do that. Since then the only side effects I've noticed now is waking up in the middle of the night a couple of times and spotting. My question for everyone is when I get to the white pills when should I expect to get my period? Also.. (hope this all makes sense) when I start a new pack does my period still continue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #107
    saige_27
    (female)

saige_27 HB User
    Re: Yaz Birth Control

Hello all, well I did start bleeding again after my last post, but it has been shorter and shorter, less and less each day. It stopped again about 8 last night and hasn't started again yet. I'll keep you posted. I am taking pill 18 today. I also had to pay $40, and that was on my insurance b/c Yaz is not on their "Preferred" list. I'll be very glad when there is a generic version of Yaz where I'll only have to pay $10. I still have bouts of tiredness, but life has been very active and stressful lately, so I think that has a lot to do with it. Plus where I live is very hot and very dry. Not good in farming area. We have a burn ban in effect and the selling and shooting of fireworks has been banned. Sorry if I babbled on.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #108
    nboocher
    (female)

nboocher HB User
    Smile Re: Yaz Birth Control

It is interesting to read about all the various issues that everyone is having while taking these pills. It really becomes apparent that everyone's body handles these medication differently. I have never taken birth control and am 25 years old. I started taking Yaz 2 days ago because I am having problems with moderate acne and my doctor feels it is a hormone issue. So far I have not had any real symptoms but I do feel that pressure in my lower back like I could start my period any day now. After reading all the issue with breakthrough bleeding I am hoping this is something that will not last for weeks. Taking these pills makes me nervous after reading the insert that came with them!!! There are some real major things that happen to some people but I am trying not to focus on them. Good luck everyone

Last edited by nboocher; 06-26-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #109
    kt3360
    (female)

kt3360 HB User

I just visited my OBG today as I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for the last 10 years. Yes, that's not a typo - 10 years. I'm a little concerned after reading these posts as some small irregularities with Ortho Tri may be better than what may be in store for me by switching to YAZ. Is there anybody out there that switched from a pill they had been on for a long time to YAZ? Also, I'm a little concerned about switching to a lower level of estrogen. As for the depression/moods - I know I experience them on Ortho Tri so I can't really imagine it'd be worse. But you never know. I really just don't want to bleed for days on end. That is not what I'm looking for at all.

Anybody who has some experience with switching from a long running pill - please share your thoughts.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #110
    KD100
    (female)

KD100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kt3360
    I just visited my OBG today as I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for the last 10 years. Yes, that's not a typo - 10 years. I'm a little concerned after reading these posts as some small irregularities with Ortho Tri may be better than what may be in store for me by switching to YAZ. Is there anybody out there that switched from a pill they had been on for a long time to YAZ? Also, I'm a little concerned about switching to a lower level of estrogen. As for the depression/moods - I know I experience them on Ortho Tri so I can't really imagine it'd be worse. But you never know. I really just don't want to bleed for days on end. That is not what I'm looking for at all.

Anybody who has some experience with switching from a long running pill - please share your thoughts.
    Hello, I just found this site and read all 113 postings about YAZ. In response to your post, I was on Orthro Cyclen (no tri) since '98. My last regular pill of my first month is tomorrow. I didn't start feeling tired until a few days back but things have been stressful lately. HOWEVER, I have had spotting and cramping increasing each day for almost 2 wks now. Today its like a full blown period. I'm hoping and praying after this first pack, the spotting and bleeding will stop. I can't believe the vast differences in people's experiences. Having a pharma background I would have hoped to have more solid facts and statistics on this drug--rather than finding a bunch of us seeking answers. Then again, this site is the first research I've done, so maybe I speak to soon.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #111
    combatrock
    (female)

combatrock HB User

well, we have to keep in mind that people who haven't suffered from negative side effects probably won't be on the internet talking about their experiences. so looking here, though it'll give you an idea about what you could possibly experience, won't really accurately represent the percentage of people who suffer from these problems (i assume).

Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #112
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

I just started YAZ yesterday for ovarian cysts. I hope I have a good experience on it, I am only on it for one month to see if they shrink. I am 40, healthy and was having left sided abdominal pain and FINALLY they found the cyst through transvaginal ultrasound.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #113
    michskier01
    (female)

michskier01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooberj97
    hi .. Yaz is my first birth control, my main reason for being on birth control is to regulate my periods.. my periods can be 7-14 days late and it got way out of hand. The first week on the birth control my period was very heavy and ended very quickly, but I am still expeirencing some spotting and it is the 8th day. I also had painful stomachaches the first couple of nights on Yaz, I am taking thepill in the morning because I read comments on health board that it was a good idea to do that. Since then the only side effects I've noticed now is waking up in the middle of the night a couple of times and spotting. My question for everyone is when I get to the white pills when should I expect to get my period? Also.. (hope this all makes sense) when I start a new pack does my period still continue?
    Well, theoretically, you should get your period when you start the white pills - they are placebo pills with essentially nothing in them. When you start a new pack you may still be on your period, but I have found that if I am still on mine, starting a new pack typically ends it pretty fast. I am wondering if those who have been spotting and have been having abnormally long periods were on birth control before? I'm interested to see how mine goes next week...I usually start Sunday night, so we'll see what happens! Hoping I don't have such long periods! I am still experiencing fatigue, and wonder if the nausea and unusual loss of appetite is as a result of this as well. Trying to wait it out for another month...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #114
    sair20
    (female)

sair20 HB User
    Update!

I posted a little while ago about my frustrations with bleeding the entire month. I am happy to say that after all of my white pills and three days into my new pack i stopped bleeding completely. What a good feeling! I also feel a lot less tired and dizzy and stuff. I think my body has finally adjusted. phew. Good luck to everyone else!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #115
    bethy2300
    (female)

bethy2300 HB User

Uabblazer,

I had the panic attacks when I was on Estrostep. I switched to Yasmin and it stopped them completely. I knew it was my birth control because before Estrostep, I took OrthoTri Cyclen and didn't have them. It made my breasts so sore I couldn't stand it. Estrostep made my skin clearer than the Ortho, but I went insane mentally and emotionally and quit after 2 months on it. I've been taking Yasmin for over 2 years now and it's really, really great. I just started Yaz 3 days ago... I don't know why I would want to mess with such a good pill like Yasmin, but my doc said the Yaz was healthier in the long run with the same benefits I experience with Yasmin. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, I wanted to reply to your post because the anxiety attacks were very real for me and scared me. I am absolutely sure it was the Estrostep and I never have them anymore on the Yasmin. So if your pill doesn't help them, try Yasmin before searching around for something that might not work.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #116
    SkyeChandler
    (female)

SkyeChandler HB User

I'm glad to hear that other people were waiting for their periods during the white pills. I'm only on day 1 and of course, don't have it yet, but was a little put off because I switched from Ortho Lo and used to get my period on a Tuesday. It's only Wed. and I've just started the white pills, so we'll see. Other than that, I've had no weird side effects and I feel like I've lost a few pounds! I also don't have sore breasts, which was a big problem with every other pill I"ve tried.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #117
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

I started on YAZ on Monday due to cysts on my ovaries. The one side effect I am having is a strange taste in my mouth for HOURS after taking the pill. It almost makes me feel nauseous. Does anyone else have this or am I not swallowing the tiny thing all the way? Thanks for the help!

kerri

Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #118
    Gracie79
    (female)

Gracie79 HB User

Hi All - i just ask my dr to switch bc pills b/c i've been on ortho tri cyclen for 9 years. i have heard mixed reviews about being on bc for that long so i asked for a pill that has a lower dose of estrogen. i tried ortho low for 4 months and had terrible side effects besides getting ridiculously emotional i had awful migraines. I am a bit nervous to take this new pill YaZ b/c its so new. Did anyone else have hestiation b/c it was so new? i'm not sure if i should ask for Yasmin or just give this one a whirl.
    any feedback?

Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #119
    alwayssmile
    (female)

alwayssmile HB User

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for all the comments, they were very helpful to me.
    I first found these healthboards yesterday while I was trying to find some info about YAZ. I was a little worried as I was on my second white pill, but no period. However now I know I am not the only one like that.
    The first 3 weeks on this bc were wonderful. I felt great - full of energy, no mood swings, no break through bleeding, I wasn't even really hungry. It was quite a change from the previous three months on Seasonale (the first birth control I ever took in my life). The fourth week on YAZ I started getting a little hungrier and maybe a little tearyeyed and sleepy (kind of like during PMS). I haven't lost or gained any weight. All in all I'd say it hasn't been too bad at all. It may be a little early to tell yet though, and I want to give it at least another month to see how everything goes.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #120
    lily2400
    (female)

lily2400 HB User

I am on my second pack of Yaz. I think the first month went fairly well, considering that month 1 of a new pill usually means side effects. When I started taking the Yaz, I hadn't had a period in 3 months. I started spotting with 6 active pills left to take. I think this was b/c my endomentrial lining was so built up from not having had a period. I started my actual period the day after I stopped the active pills. My period lasted 6 full days.

Things I noticed over the month: my sex drive was incredibly increased. I seemed to lose a few pounds. For about 5 to 6 days, I had an insatiable appetite, but this went away after a few days. I seem to be more tired, though I'm not certain if this is due to the pill or not. I also have to keep my irritability in check, b/c I'm a little short on patience.

No headaches, weight gain, etc....My breasts seem to be bigger though, and this does not make me happy.

Overall, I am going to give it the full 3 months and see what happens.

Closed Thread