It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Panic the day after drinking alcohol--please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #16
    Downpillow
    (female)

Downpillow HB User
    Re: Panic the day after drinking alcohol--please help!

It's completely normal and predictable that you feel this way, if you know the biochemistry of neurotransmitter receptors. Here's the theory:

Anxiety/panic are due to overactivation of certain receptors.
    Alcohol "numbs" these receptors (which is why alkohol decreases anxiety), so the brain makes more of them. then, after the alcohol is gone, you have more receptors, AND regular activity (no numbing any more), so you get even MORE activation of the receptors and feel more anxious.
    As far as I know there is no way to prevent that...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
    serafina
    (female)

serafina HB User

I'm glad I found these posts because I too get anxiety after drinking. I'll wake up in the morning with a feeling of dread and panic if I have more than 2 drinks. I think the major reason for me, other than the physiological explanation given in the above post is that I have major health anxiety and as a result, I feel guilty after indulging! I'll worry that I'm drinking too often (I drink every day, but usually only a glass of wine with dinner each night and maybe a martini or two on the weekends) and I worry that I said something stupid in front of someone, etc. even though I never get "drunk" and never get hung over. The worst part about it is that while I'm drinking, my anxiety is so much relieved! I think more rationally about my health and well-being as opposed to being worried about everything and noticing every little symptom and feeling in my body! At least I now know I'm not the only one.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #18
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User

I can completely relate to this. I used to get panic attacks the day after drinking. You feel so weak to begin with and the pounding headache doesn't help.

I always found that eating a really fattening meal like burger king breakfast or lunch would help me to feel better. Even my friends agree with this one.

I don't know why this happens but it sucks.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #19
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I am such a druggie, I take Xanax for everything, but seriously, I had a terrible hangover one day and I took a Xanax and felt 100% normal an hour later. I am extremely anxious about nausea and vomiting, thats what usually causes my panic attacks, so i absolutely cannot live with a hangover. it also helps you take a nap which sometimes is my only cure

Old 06-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #20
    marcus1
    (male)

marcus1 HB User

Ever since my first panic attack at 19 I have suffered from extreme anxiety the day after a good nights drinking. I feel so anxious I am almost agoraphobic until I calm down. The only thing that works for me is to take 20mg of beta blockers which greatly reduces the symptoms, but this really is no way to go.

It is a vicious circle because you probably drink more to reduce your anxiety in the first place only to make it ten times worse the next day.

For years I thought I was the only person who suffered like this.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #21
    bondgrll
    (female)

bondgrll HB User

Well....I noticed that no one on this post mentioned whether or not they were taking any medications. Here's what happened to me. I've been on 8MG of Prozac and 1MG of Xanax XR daily. Last night I went out to dinner with friends and had probably 3 glasses of Chardonnay and felt fine. This morning I feel nauseated, sweaty and anxious and it sucks....from reading the posts, I realize what I have done and you know what? It's soooo not worth it!!! Were any of you also on meds and drinking? I had cut out alcohol and caffeine but decided last night it would be OK for some reason....NOT!!!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #22
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Alcohol's effects are incredibly intensified with Xanax, I'm not sure about the anti-depressants but I know for sure it really intensifies the alcohol. I take Xanax and I can get drunk off one glass of wine where I used to be able to drink a whole bottle and be ok. I don't know about you, but Xanax also makes me very thirsty, so I wonder if it dehydrates you even further and thats why you get such bad hangovers??

Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #23
    Sadbutconfused
    (female)

Sadbutconfused HB User

The only think that I can do to solve this problem is take xanax on that day after I drink. If anyone can think of something better please let me know. I know now that i am depressed the day after i drink and that it is from drinking, and it took me a while before i finally figured it out. I hate the feeling but I do enjoy hanging out with my friends and drinkin on the weekends.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

I may feel a little sluggish, and at times, hungover the next day, but I don't feel any anxiety. By the way, I don't take meds.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #25
    cebo
    (female)

cebo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sadbutconfused
    The only think that I can do to solve this problem is take xanax on that day after I drink. If anyone can think of something better please let me know. I know now that i am depressed the day after i drink and that it is from drinking, and it took me a while before i finally figured it out. I hate the feeling but I do enjoy hanging out with my friends and drinkin on the weekends.
    I don't drink very often but when I do sometimes I get panic attacks so I also take Ativan the day after and that stops them within 10/15 mins...but I usually try and wait till I really feel bad before taking one.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #26
    raziel33
    (male)

raziel33 HB User

I too can totally relate to this. For the last couple of years my anxiety has been getting worse. After a night out drinking with friends i wake up with terrible panic attacks.

I keep thinking like i have done something wrong the night before. This is made worse if i have spoken to any females on the night out. I immediately think that i have been unfaithfull (even though i am happilly married). This stays in my mind for days and sometimes even weeks after the night out. It has got to the point where i am getting nervous every time one of my friends mentions going out for the evening.

Does anyone else get this type of reaction after a night out?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #27
    vuitton
    (female)

vuitton HB User

Oh, yes....when I was young in my early twentys. I used to party hard, and the next day was brutal. The anxiety was horrible! It's what finally led me, to stop partying. Which was a very good thing....

Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #28
    sweptaway76
    (female)

sweptaway76 HB User

Well I'll be darn. I am going through this at this very moment. Went out last night, drank way to much and sitting at work right now, I am shaking, sweating and feel dizzy. I am thining about taking a Xanax, but seeing as I am already exhausted, I am scared i will fall asleep at my desk. I have never had a problem with panic after drinking until recently. I am not on daily meds anymore so maybe that is why. I do find that when I do drink, I drink alot more then I should because I am feeling anxious to begin with, so I start slamming drinks to take the edge off. (I know that isnt good) And now I want to punch myself for drinking so much because of how I feel right now. I just want to go home!

Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #29
    JAZ87
    (female)

JAZ87 HB User

ahh i feel the same way! I cannot drink anymore! I don't drink anymore... For awhile I felt soo bad, or weird, because my friends could all do it like it was nothing, and well wake up and feel fine... I would feel panicky, out of it, crazy, like i couldn't concentrate and everything seemed "weird" to me..ugh i hate it!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #30
    Sadees
    (female)

Sadees HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Panic the day after drinking alcohol--please help!

This is normal!!! im no doctor... REMOVEDbut most people (even who dont have anxiety) experience this. I do not remember what it is caused from But, I, too have severe anxiety and it is AWFUL after I drink. I am sure that it is worse those of us who suffer anxiety...but it's nothing uncommon or anything to worry about. You just have to wait it out....drink tons of water to flush out the alcohol. Try sleeping....maybe a xanax if you are prescribed. Or just dont drink Easier said than done...I know.!!!!!!!!

Last edited by msmod; 07-14-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Please read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why edits where made to your post. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread