It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• my accutane kit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
    dkphx
    (male)

dkphx HB User
    my accutane kit

hey everyone,
    i've got 1.5 weeks left of a 6-month course of accutane (my second course) and i'd thought i'd share some of stuff i used while i was on accutane. hopefully, it will help out others...

polysporin - this is a great ointment that really reduces healing time (and kill bacteria) on skin that may peel a little too much. i used it very sparingly (i was afraid it might clog pores) in the evenings. I originally got the idea to use it from another post (thanks california1) about neosporin (apparently, there is an ingredient in neosporin that may cause redness in some people as result of allergic reaction)

cetaphil cleanser - not much to say about it, as i'm sure countless people have praised it - it does the job

purpose redness reducing moisturizor - noncomedogenic. i prefer this for 2 reasons over cetaphil (though i still hold cetaphil very dear to my heart) - 1) it really does reduce redness and 2) it has spf 30

chapstick medicated lip balm - now this is a matter of preference. i'll definitely say that aquaphor was probably the best thing i used to keep my lips moistourized, but it made me look like i had on lip gloss (very attractive on a guy). i still used aquaphor, but only in the evenings. throughout my accutane course i tried several different kinds of balms and found this one to be the most soothing.

vitamins - now i'm not really sure if this even made a difference or not, but since i continued to see improvement in face, i didn't want to take anything out of my "kit". i took vitamin e (helps for moisture), vitamin c (helps for the body to absorb vitamin e), and zinc (helps with healing).

and that's it. hope this helps. also, in about 2 weeks, i'm going on vacation in sunny florida, and i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on a good sunblock. i'm pretty nervous of my post-acne marks getting darker. i've already gotten neutrogena age shield (spf 45, non-comedogenic, waterproof), but was wondering if anyone had something better. any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User
    Re: my accutane kit

im in my fourth month of accutane....my derm said i will be on a 5 month course..ive done really well throughout the whole thing..i was expecting a lot worse because people really scared me about the drug...
    anyways...i was nervous too about sunblock...ever since i started accutane i have been using l'oreal ombrelle spf 30...it says extreme lotion and its for sensitive skin..and its fragrance free...paba and colorant free...non greasy and non comedogenic...i really like it and it hasnt caused me any problems....
    it also acts as a moisturizer as well...which is a bonus..
    by the way...how was your first course of accutane and how bad was your acne? were u happy with the results? how long were u clear for and did it come back just the same? sorry for all the questions but im just getting some anxiety about coming off the drug...thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
    babygurl77
    (female)

babygurl77 HB User

one more thing.....waterproof sunblock is also much greasy and contains more ingredients at a stronger level than regular sunblock..

Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
    dkphx
    (male)

dkphx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babygurl77
    how was your first course of accutane and how bad was your acne? were u happy with the results? how long were u clear for and did it come back just the same? sorry for all the questions but im just getting some anxiety about coming off the drug...thanks
    thanks for the reply! before my first course i was constantly getting cysts that seemed to stay forever, so my derm put me on accutane. my first course was 9 months long about 3 years ago. it took a long time for my acne to finally clear up, but it did and stayed that way for about 6 months.

In the next 6 months, i noticed that my face would start getting oily and that i'd have to wipe it off a few times a day. then, i started getting cysts again. it never got as bad as it did before my first course, though. i went back to my derm and went from doxycyclin to minocyclin (along with differin). this seemed to be working well (much better than pre accutane treatment), but my face was still oily, and all it did was control the amount of cysts, not stop them from forming. after about year of that, i decided to go back for round 2.

as for coming off the drug - i was probably was one of the less lucky people (my derm said that 70% of people only need 1 course before being completely clear, and 90% after 2 courses). hopefully i'll fall into the 90% category, and you in the 70%.

my plan is to keep a close watch on my skin in the coming months and maybe start using a SA cleanser (like neutrogena) as soon as my skin isn't so dry. but for now, i'll stick with the cetaphil.

hope this answers your questions!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
    Shimz
    (female)

Shimz HB User

I was a former accutane user. First off if I were you I would get off it. It is a waste of time and damages your body. You maybe acne free for a while but trust me a couple years later it will all come back. It is your body way of going back to the way it is. Once the meds are out of your system the acne will return. On top of that there are so many side effects I question those now after using i 5 years ago. I still have acne. Regardless of acne it cause a lot of hair loss vision problems, nose bleeds. It can also damage other areas and then years later you will see the damage it has done. It is your choice to take it but hey I fell into that hole being a teenager and wanting to have clear skin I took accutane to and now I wish I never ever went through a course.

Closed Thread