It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Trazadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
    bm28
    (female)

bm28 HB User
    Trazadone

Hi, I posted something similar a while back and only got one response. Here's what's happening with me. I'm on an anti-depressant called Luvox (250 mg and still climbing probably) and once I got into the 100 mg. range I developed insomnia from in in which I don't fall asleep WHATSOEVER without a sleeping pill. Trazadone has helped well for me as far as sleeping. (25 mg. does the job it seemed like the higher dosages didn't help as well for some reason) Anyways, I DESPISE the way it makes me feel the next day. I feel kind of "hazy/foggy" It is so strange! So I talked to my Dr. about maybe switching to something else; mabye over the counter?????? He suggested Benadryl which I tried (Tylenol PM) and it didn't do ANYTHING. I am so frustrated. I mean I have to continue to take the trazadone because I can't sleep without it but I can't stand the way it makes me feel the next day. Please someone respond if you have any suggestions about what else I might be able to try. Thank you so much! Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
    lilaculpepper

lilaculpepper HB User
    Re: Trazadone

My doc put me on Trazadone about a year ago and it make me SO sick to my stomach I stopped it immediately. I hate the "Nyquil feeling" it gives me like I'm being dragged underwater. I, too, felt the aftereffects the next day.

From what I understand Trazadone is from an older classification of meds which is why it can make you feel so miserable. Since drugs have seen such improvements over the years it's possible to find meds that don't have such stupid and pointless side effects.

I have taken Sonata, a short acting sleep med, and Ambien, a longer-lasting one. Both have worked well in combination with the Paxil CR I am still taking for anxiety.
    If sleeping is your biggest concern I would suggest asking your doctor about one of those and being VERY careful with them if prescribed as they ARE addictive.
    Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
    bm28
    (female)

bm28 HB User

Thanks for responding. One question: What do you mean that Sonata is "short-acting." Does that mean that it doesn't last for the whole night????

Old 09-14-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
    lilaculpepper

lilaculpepper HB User

According to the Sonata website the stuff usually lasts about 4 hours. Ambien stays in your system more along the 8 hour mark. It's best to take both on an empty stomach if you decide to try either.
    Last night was the first in literally years I slept without any kind of pill at all but I don't trust my system so I will be taking one 10mg of Ambien before bed tonight.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

try reducing the trazodone dose by cutting the tablet
    trazodone is an antidepressant that sometimes sedates when taken and so is used as a sleeping pill

it seems to go OK with luvox and other antidepressants
    if the luvox is stimulating you,take it on waking

Old 09-15-2004, 07:55 AM   #6
    bm28
    (female)

bm28 HB User

Thanks for everyone's replies. I actually will try cutting the trazadone in half tonight. I only take half a pill now but I'll try taking half of that I guess. I don't see my doctor for another three weeks to try to get a different sleeping pill. I've tried taking the Luvox in the morning and that doesn't help me sleep any better. It seems like the higher the dosage of Luvox the harder the Trazadone is on me the next day for some reason. Thanks again. Beth

Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
    ozarkgal1560
    (female)

ozarkgal1560 HB User

My Father Was In A Nursing Home And They Started Giving Him Trazodone For Sleep On May 16, 2006. It Was Really Making Him Sleep All The Time. Somewhere Along The Line He Couldn't Hear Us Even Yelling In His Ears. His Eyes Looked Glassy And Not Right. He Weighed About 120 Pounds And Was Given 100mg. A Few Nurses Would Stop The Medicine And Try To Contact His Doctor To Lower The Dosage. But When Another Nurse Would Come On Duty She'd Give It To Him. He Just Was So Out Of It. After 2 Weeks Of All This He Lost His Life. Not Sure What Was Going On Or Why. I Want The Medical Records On Him To See What Actually Happened. But Trazodone For My Father Wasn't The Answer.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #8
    donlo45
    (male)

donlo45 HB User

You are lucky it even helped you sleep. I took 100mg for a while and it never had an effect on me.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
    josborne3

josborne3 HB User

I have taken Trazadone for many years. When the doctor first prescribed it to me, it was for depression. As he had me taking it all at once just prior to bedtime, it also worked as a sleep aide. Originally, after phasing in, my doctor prescribed 300 mg. Believe me, if I didn’t immediately get up and go to bed, I was like the living dead. Generally, I couldn’t focus on much until mid-morning as I felt “drugged up.” This was a problem for me at work. Eventually, my doctor switched me to other anti-depressants while lessening my dose of Trazadone. However, I continued to take it to insure a full night’s sleep.

For the last many years, I have taken 75 mg at bedtime. Other then the drowsiness from the heavier dose, I have never experienced any side effects. I was hoping for some inappropriate erections, but that didn’t happen….darn! I probably wouldn’t be making a joke about it if I had actually had a case priapism. Anyway, while taking Trazadone, I have not experienced stomach issues or any of the other many possible side effects one can read about in relation to the drug.

The last time I filled the prescription, I asked the pharmacist about possible long-term effects. He indicated that with the small dose I was taking there was no reason to expect any negative long term side effects. In fact, he told me that it’s effectiveness as a sleep aide at this point was probably mostly psychological since the dose was so insignificant.

About four days ago, I decided if its effectiveness was just a mental trickery; I would stop using it altogether. So, I quit. Well, these have been an interesting couple of days. Yesterday, I was having so much panic that I thought I was losing it. Additionally, I was sweating like a pig. I have been peeing constantly and have a recurring urge to defecate. Today, things are a little better….I’m not sweating and don’t feel like my heart will explode. I only woke up four times last night in addition to not sleeping past a total of six hours. I have felt generally like ****! It is like I had the flue or something.

Anyway, this just proves to me that there is no substance you put into your body that doesn’t have some effect on you. Perhaps the longer one uses something like this, the greater the effect. I am shooting for being drug free. If I can’t sleep….well, I get up and run on the treadmill for an hour or so to raise my serotonin.

Incidentally, I have a different doctor now, and I don’t take any other antidepressants. I didn’t think about killing myself once yet today. Ha, ha.

Jay

Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
    sjohnson3501
    (female)

sjohnson3501 HB User

I feel where you are coming from, I also have the same problem going and staying sleep. I am on Trazadone (100mg) and I don't like the way it makes me feel the next day (sluggish). I've also tried Tylenol PM, which was no help at all. I told my doctor and now I am taking Ambien (10mg). I am suppose to take the Trazadone and also the Ambien. The Trazadone alone makes me sleepy but I don't stay sleep. I stopped taking the Trazadone and started only taking the Ambien. If I don't take the Ambien, I would be woke all night and very agitated the next day. I break my Ambien in half so it could last longer. The doctors don't like to give it to you because you can become dependent on it. It does not matter with me because I need it to get to sleep. Ask your doctor about giving you a prescription for Ambien and see what he/she says. Let me know how you make out. It does wonders for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bm28
    Hi, I posted something similar a while back and only got one response. Here's what's happening with me. I'm on an anti-depressant called Luvox (250 mg and still climbing probably) and once I got into the 100 mg. range I developed insomnia from in in which I don't fall asleep WHATSOEVER without a sleeping pill. Trazadone has helped well for me as far as sleeping. (25 mg. does the job it seemed like the higher dosages didn't help as well for some reason) Anyways, I DESPISE the way it makes me feel the next day. I feel kind of "hazy/foggy" It is so strange! So I talked to my Dr. about maybe switching to something else; mabye over the counter?????? He suggested Benadryl which I tried (Tylenol PM) and it didn't do ANYTHING. I am so frustrated. I mean I have to continue to take the trazadone because I can't sleep without it but I can't stand the way it makes me feel the next day. Please someone respond if you have any suggestions about what else I might be able to try. Thank you so much! Beth

Closed Thread