It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Going crazy on Remeron- 6 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User
    Going crazy on Remeron- 6 weeks

I've been trying to ride it out--my first time on any type of AD. I was having SEVERE anxiety/panic which I guess also pushed me into somewhat of a depression--just couldn't function ...a lot of medical problems added to the mess.
    Everything I've read says it takes a while, so I've been trying to be patient. But today I just felt I can't stand it anymore--the anxiety is surfacing & I'm jumping out of my skin. I took half of a Xanax ( .25) this afternooon & it took the edge off, but I'm getting weird again. My husaband asked if I wantd to go out tonight & I couldn't even think about how I would pull myself together & look & act "normal".
    My next appt with psyche doc is 7/18--don't think I can make it. But alsonI'm petrified of withdrawal effects if I wean--how did I get into this mess?

Any advice gratefully accepted......Has anyone weaned off Remeron? If so how did you do it & how bad were the withdrawals? I am on 15 mgm/day. I'm also afraid I will be even worse off the Remeron & have to start all over again with something else? I just want this feeling to go away !! I have no one here to talk to who would understand--everyone is happy, jolly & well adjusted ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Going crazy on Remeron- 6 weeks

I stopped taking Remeron at 60mg cold once for seven days to prove a point to myself, don't ask, and did not notice any new side effects. Now I am on a heavy cocktail so that might be part of the reason.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Last edited by trg247; 07-07-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
    anxiousagain
    (female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

Well, I am about to take my first Remeron 15mg, which was prescribed for depression that followed severe anxiety. Now I'm really having second thoughts. Did you feel this way from the start? I've never taken any meds before and I'm really struggling with this!! I wonder if I should just take one and see what happens. I can't imagine there'd be withdrawal problems after just a day or two.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I think if your going to take the first Remeron you should be comitted to take it for four to six weeks to see its full effect. I believe your not going to see any difference by only taking one

trg247

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

anxiousagain,

Even though I haven't had any experience with AD's until now--it seems to be the consensus that you need to give it time tonreally see if it will help.
    I just feel I've given it 6 + weeks & I don't like where I'm at at all, in fact anxiety was worse today than in past few weeks.

My psyche doc did prescribe Xanax which she advised me to use up to 3 x day especially in the first few weeks as she said the anxiety can worsen when first on an AD. She said I would know when I didn't need it any more as it would make me feel too tired along with the Remeron. Well, I've only taken half of a .25 mgm Xanax here and there, not everyday, but today was horrible. I would think if the Remeron was providing good effect I should be getting less anxiety, not more.
    I'm telling you this because if anxiety is your main problem, you may need something to help the first few weeks with the anxiety even if the Remeron is a good choice for you .

The first 2-3 weeks I was very drowsy & very hungry. Make sure you take it at night...you will sleep well ! The hungry part was good as I was down to 104 lbs. Now up to 109 lbs. If weight is an issue--beware- I have eaten half of a blueberry pie, and several pieces of chocolate peanut butter bars & an enteman's donut today alone ! I am wondering if all this sugar is making my anxiety worse. It is an uncontrollable hunger for sweets with Remeron--maybe it won't affect you that way but for me it has.
    I hope the Remeron helps you--don't be afraid of it ( I know how that feels) as I've been able to function for the most part...I just don't like how I'm feeeling past few days & am disappointed, today being particularly bad with the anxiety.

Trg247- if I am to wean off the Remeron, do you think reducing the dose by a 1/4 of a tab a week will be ok? I will be talking to my doc, but trust the people here more.
    You say you are on a heavy cocktail now? You think it may be because you went off the Remeron cold turkey? What are you taking now if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks for your help,
    Kate anxiousinnj

Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
    troublesleeping
    (female)

troublesleeping HB User

Hi- first time on this site. In response to the above posting- remeron is used in some instances as an appetite stimulant, so it will increase some people's appetites. Also, studies have shown for those individuals who need to go on an antidepressant-those who take themselves off of the medication before giving it one full year will find themselves back on an AD and this time may have to stay on them for 5 years. It is worth giving them a full chance to work and staying on, even when you feel better. Your doctor is the best person to determine when and if you should come off of them. For people who are going on an AD for the first time there is a huge sense of guilt and shame, mainly brought on by the negative coverage depression and anxiety gets from society. I had a terrible time with depression and anxiety 8 years ago that lasted for 3 yrs so I completely understand all the feelings you are having. Sometimes the depression and anxiety are situational, as was mine-and thank God it passed after my divorce. Also, depression and anxiety almost always go hand-in-hand. Talk to your doctor before making any medication adjustments. 6 million people are on AD's and millions of others suffer from it and don't say anything out of fear-Keep your head held high and remember that "this too shall pass".

Old 07-08-2006, 05:17 AM   #7
    sparklesmum
    (female)

sparklesmum HB User

I haven't taken Remeron but I did try Paxil and it didn't work for me. I took valium off and on for a while but as I have kids I found it hard to function when I was taking it so stopped. The one thing I've found helps more than anything, is finding a really good psychologist. It's not cheap, I'm in Australia and will have spent about $1000 by the time I stop seeing her, but really, when you're where I was (where I think you all know we can be when we're suffering severe anxiety, there are no words for that world) it's so worth it I couldn't care less if I owe Mastercard forever. She's using CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy), and has convinced me to avoid medication for a few weeks. The first 3 weeks I didn't think I'd manage it, and to be honest if I didn't have kids I'd be on something by now, but between never getting a chance to go the doctor and believing my psychologist, I've stuck it out and am now 'out of the woods' so to speak. If you can see your way to doing it, please try to not just rely on medication. The best thing you can do for yourself is to figure out how this started happening and how to stop it. I'm still working on it and have a way to go yet, but I so feel for you.

One really good book I've read has been 'Power over Panic' by Bronwyn Fox. Also check out [url]REMOVED[/url]

All the best. I wish you all the best!

Sam

Last edited by msmod; 07-08-2006 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Read and follow the posting rules, do not post website addresses. Ms_Mod

Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
    anxiousagain
    (female)

Well, I took my first dose of Remeron last night and the only side effect I'm feeling this morning is a bit of grogginess. I slept, but wouldn't say it knocked me out--I woke up a few times during the night. I did have more vivid, realistic dreams (not nightmares) like I heard I might. Still waiting for the munchies to hit, though. Like you, Kate, one of the reasons my doc and I settled on this particular AD is that the anxiety had completely KILLED my appetite. I was having to force myself to eat. So, that's actually one side effect I'm hoping for! Hope you're feeling less anxious today. I have to say that while I was terrified to take my first pill, I did wake up a bit less anxious than I had been over the last few weeks. Still too early to tell with this one but I'm optimistic right now. I also completely agree with the poster who recommended seeing a psychologist. That was my first line effort, but the anxiety was SO bad I felt I wasn't going to get anything out of the therapy until I staved it off. I tried clonazepam on an as-needed basis first, which does take the anxiety edge off temporarily. However, that's when the depression settled in. All my life I've been opposed to putting foreign substances in my body unless absolutely necessary, but this time around, I felt it was a necessity. I was barely living, I was so consumed by my anxious thoughts. I want to be the happy, healthy me again. And since I went through a similar ordeal 4 1/2 years ago that I somehow managed to get through without prescription aid, I finally realized this is a problem that's going to keep recurring if I don't do something about it. I'm hoping and praying (I'm a Christian, which made the decision to turn to meds all the harder) that this time around I will nip this awful thing in the bud for good! I'll be praying the same for all of you too.

Kathy

Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
    anxiousagain
    (female)

One more thing I wanted to mention. My doc has already told me that she likes to see her patients stay on an AD for at least 6 months after they start feeling like themselves again. So, barring any bad side effects, I know I'm stuck with the Remeron until spring. That too added to my indecisiveness over taking it, but months of medication is FAR better than the alternative: going through what I have been for the past month. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Thanks for all of your replies--so much appreciated !
    I don't plan on going off the Remeron without discussing with my odc ( I'm too chicken), but I do know that this is NOT for me.
    I'm not sure I will try another AD or not--I think I need much more info & convincing from the doc if I am to try another AD.
    I am on many meds for other problems that are constantly changing so it is causing more anxiety not knowing what side effects are from what !
    I think CBT is the ideal way to go, but I just had over $5,000 out of pocket expenses for surgeries & illnesses & am totally cash poor & credit cards are not an option ( 3 kids with tuitions & sick parents to help, & unable to work past 3 months--wonder why I'm mentally ill???) .

Bottom line, is--I don't think Rermeron is doing the trick....I feel like I'm more "in a hole" with anxiety on top. Since Remeron is supposedly the drug that causes least additional anxiety, I'm petrified of trying any others.
    Sigh.............

thanks again !

Old 07-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

my cocktail - 150mg of effexor, 300mg of wellbutrin, 20mg of zyprexa, 60mg of remeron, 1050mg of lithium and temazapam(can not remember the dosage)

trg247

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Oh my gosh Trg247-- do you function ok on all those meds? Remember I'm new the medication end of this ride--not new to anxiety, but I have never explored the options of medication--just suffered with it. This time I just knew there was no way I could help myself if I didn't some how get the edge off.
    I had no idea you could take that many meds all at once.....I have lots to learn I guess.

anxiousagain-- we sound similar in that I had this anxiety/panic issue quite badly about 6 years ago. It's a long nightmare story that I'm sure is familiar here--tons of tests, doctors, etc... founc I was in the midst of perimenopause so thought it was that ( still think the hormones juggle this anxiety issue up & down), then was diagnosed with Lupus & told Lupus can mess with your serotonin, so blamed it on that as well. I guess I sort of did CBT on myself....just talked myself through. Took a half Xanax when I absolutely had to drive or do something when I felt totally out of it, and somehow over the past few years it gradually got better.
    I actually had the most unbelievable stress to deal with this past year & half & was afraid the anxiety/panic would re-surface but I seemed to be ok. But in April this year had my gallbladder out, was very sick & frightened afterwards & the episodes of anxiety & really bad panic atacks began. I too thought this time I have to get help & I was too sick to even think about talking to anyone about it like with a psychologist.
    So, I guess I have improved somewhat, but the anxiety feelings keep coming back--stronger than the type you can just brush off.
    If the Remeron was more effective I would have no problem staying on it for 6 months...I just am hoping to feel better than this , so will see what the doc says.
    Is it gnerally that you eventualaly find one that works, stay on for 6 months or so & then wean off & you should be ok?
    It seems so many people have been taking meds for years & constantly changing. Is there no hope for periods of relief?
    This is all getting a bit confusing & I guess I'm just afraid of what I may have gotten myself into as I have other medical issues that are already overwhelming.....

thanks for listening to me ramble...

Old 07-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
    mel07
    Inactive
    (female)

mel07 HB User

i've taken remeron on and off for about three years and find it's great for me for two reasons:
    1) it increases my appetite
    2) it helps me get to sleep
    i don't notice any significant impact on my anxiety levels, which are high all the time but i rarely get full-blown panic attacks any more.
    oh, i take 15mg at night.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I have severe major depressive disorder with psycotic features, generalized anxiety disorder, agrophobia and ptsd which is why I take so many meds. I am going to be changing pretty much all of them soon but I need to go back into the hospital to do so. I am pretty much the exception and not the norm

trg247

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 07-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
    All-alone
    (female)

All-alone HB User

Have to agree about the hunger issue, i can now eat 24/7 I will explode soon if I don't stop eating I swear, I am going monday to docs to see what she can do.

Have to say it does not help me sleep I still need my Zopiclone to get to sleep.

Closed Thread