It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 3 1/2 Month Old DS won't eat!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
    3 1/2 Month Old DS won't eat!

We are taking him to the PED this morning, but this is getting a little bothersome. He normally eats 5-6 (8) Ounce bottles of EBM a day...He has always taken eight ounces in one feeding. NOW t is a fight to get him to eat ANYTHING at all! For the past 3-4 days, all he will take is about 4 ounces a feeding and it is like a fight to get him toe at that. The whole time he smacks the bottle out of my hands and whines and fusses. We are going this mornng, Sunday, to get him checked as far as ears and things.

I have not started cereal or anything to sway him, but maybe he does not like BM anymore? I know sounds funny, but this is EVERY feeding now! I am about to go crazy!

The one thing that worries me is that he ate last night for the last time at 10:30, then woke up at 7:30 and only would take 4 ounces with a fight. I am not sure what to do. Is this normal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Robert Michael Born on 3/20/06
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
    Re: 3 1/2 Month Old DS won't eat!

Yes, he is fussier in general. Not just when he is eating but all the time.He is also sleeping a lot more latley. He has been taking 2 (3) hour naps a day, PLUS sleeping through the night. He just fusses all the time now and he ALWAYS has a fist in his mouth. He drools contantly. I am just now sure what to do. I will make sure today that it is not his ears or something more.

I did give him a little baby tylenol last night, not the full does but almost and he fell right to sleep and was happy and content..which makes me believe he is in some kind of pain, whether ears or teeth.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

First off, I hope your little one is not in pain. Secondly, and interestingly, I have found through some online research that things similar to this have happened to other babies at this age. I nurse my son who is now 3 months and for the past couple of weeks he will start to nurse, take some gulps for a few minutes, then just open his mouth and start crying. I talked with someone else who has a daughter the same age and her daughter wouldn't nurse for like 3 days! She finally started nursing again. I have read similar accounts online. So maybe its some sort of stange stage they go through at this age?

I hope nothing is wrong with your DS and hopefully he will be back to his normal self soon (and still sleeping through the night!)

Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Oh, and by the way, my DS has been fussier more lately, drools a lot, and ALWAYS has his hands in his mouth (or my hand or my arm lol). A lot of people confuse this for teething at this age. But they drool so much because their saliva glands have just matured and they don't know what to do with all the saliva...so they just drool instead of swallow.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
    OrangeCouture
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

OrangeCouture HB User
    Lightbulb Re: 3 1/2 Month Old DS won't eat!

My daughter is just over three months and is NEVER, EVER fussy. She is the most happy, content, smiling little baby girl I know and this last week or so she has begun to do the same thing. She normally takes 4 ounces and she was always on formula. Perhaps it is just a stage? It feels trying to me when she acts like that because she usually is good and rarely fusses so I find myself stressed and agitated.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

yes, my ds is a very good baby, never cries or anything so I am very stressed and frustrated all the time, which is not good. I just got back from the Ped and he wants me to try ZANTAC for reflux and also start cereal. I did not want to start cereal this early, but it may help. It is hard becuase he can't tell me what is wrong, only scream his head off. I really hope this helps because I am at my wits end!

Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
    Watersulli

Watersulli HB User

It is my understanding that babies start teething at a wide variety of ages, but the same thing has been happening lately with my daughter and she is 5 months. She was sleeping a LOT and wasn't eating and she's been chewing on her fists. She is eating a bit better now, so that's relieving. She was having some pretty bad GERD, and we just started her on Axid and thickening her formula, so I'm right there with you on all counts.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Yes, he did tell me that about teething, but he did not feel it was after checking his gums. I am jsut so confused! I am going to try the Zantac and go from there!

Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

Skeeter - I bottle fed my son EBM for almost 10 months and remember going through this type of thing with him all the time...sorry to tell you that!!!
    What I did find that worked in the end was switching his bottle. I used avent as we had planned to get to the breast eventually but he never was able to latch and get anything. At about 9 months or so, after fighting this kind of behaviour off and one for months, I forgot a bottle one time and had to buy a playtex one and low and behold he sucked that bottle back in no time at all. Might be worth a try. If it is a teething issue, look for a nipple that is super soft and pliable..that might work.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I wish it was that easy. I have always used the Playtex Nursers with the liners. Do you think they get bored of one type of bottle?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
    soon2bmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
    I wish it was that easy. I have always used the Playtex Nursers with the liners. Do you think they get bored of one type of bottle?
    I can't answer anything else in this thread, but I do know that my son (who I bottlefeed) started getting MAD when I would feed him. SCREAM, CRY, throw such a fit. I would cry, I didn't know what was wrong... I talked to my SIL who said my nephew did the same so we switched nipples. He was PERFECT acted like nothing had ever happened. I was using avent at the time. I switched to Dr Browns because of the good rapport that the bottles themselves have. Perfect now I hope you find out what is wrong and everything will go good for you soon

Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

When are you suppose to switch nipples? I am still using level 1 and he is almost 4 months old. maybe he can't get enough out of them? I am not sure when o go to Level 2 nipples...

Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

I would definately say to switch nipples and maybe even bottles as anything is worth a try. I think you switch at 3 months but I am not sure...I used avent and they had 3 or 4 levels and one of them was only good to 1 or 2 months.
    Has your diet changed at all lately? Could be something you are eating that he doesn't like...something that is seasonal that you are eating a lot of maybe....it was strawberries for us.

Closed Thread