It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
    TwinMom04
    (female)

TwinMom04 HB User
    Symptoms

I'm trying to find out if these are symptoms of B12 deficiency. Would you mind sharing your symptoms with me?

Mine are and or have been in past;

*tingling from the waist down to my feet (private parts included)

*legs feel cold and sometimes prickly (sp?) during a flare

*tingling in torso (from my ribs to my hips - front and back)

*tingling in hands

*pain in hands, back, and neck

*dropping things

*weakness in legs (heavy)

*loss of balance (falling)

*exaserbation of symptoms in the heat

*fatigue

*my eyes sometimes shake back and forth really fast when I'm in the middle of a flare

these symptoms in blue lasted about 2 weeks (a couple weeks ago) - never got them checked out

*chest pains, shortness of breath, heart palpatations (3 times) and rapid heart rate

*Tender and swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck and a soar throat

Thanks I appreciate your input on my symptoms as well as your sharing your own

Last edited by TwinMom04; 07-07-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added a couple symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User
    Re: Symptoms

Hi TwinMom...

I have a B12 defieciency... actually got a lot of help on here

My Symptom list was long, and probably could be attributed to a few other problems I have, but I'll post them all again for you.

Another note, I had a fairly long thread where some great people gave me good advice and shared their experiences with B12 deficiency. It's on HealthBoards under Nutritional Disorders

[url]http://healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=374746[/url]

it's fairly long, but if you get a chance, maybe it can help. My numbers went from 83 at my first post, to 609+ now with my injections.

Anyway, here are all the symptoms I experienced (and I'm sure I missed some as I was feeling pretty horrid when I first made the post in May!)
     Fatigue
     Muscle weakness
     Sore throat
     Hoarseness
     Tender and swollen lymph nodes in neck
     Shortness of breath/tightness in chest
     Asthma type illness complete with wheeze and allergen induced
     New allergies that I never had before
     Shakes/trembles
     Cough
     I’m either too cold, or too hot, never comfortable – 99% of the time I’m too cold though
     Increased thirst
     Chronic/Daily “tension” headaches – I think there's more to it than just tension!
     Muscle pain/twitching
     Joint pain/”migratory” arthritis
     TMJ
     Brain fog/confusion/cognitive issues (using wrong words, difficulty finding correct words, can’t complete simple caculations, stammering, frequently losing train of though, short term memory loss, etc.)
     Dizzy
     Tinnitus
     Light and Sound sensitivities
     Clumsy walk – always bumping into things
     Clumsy in general
     Inability to focus at what I’m looking at
     Excessive sleeping – when I can get to sleep – takes forever to fall asleep
     Disturbing nightmares
     Irritable - mood swings at the drop of a hat
     Food intolerances (gluten, dairy, eggs)
     Frequently urinating
     Always thirsty
     Abdominal pain/tenderness
     Hair loss – good thing I have thick hair!
     Hair is coarse/breaks easy
     Lack of appetite
     Early fullness when eatting
     Weight loss
     Back pain (lower back)
     Shoulders/neck “burn”
     Simple cuts are not healing, but rather getting infected
     Severe PMS!
     Post Nasal Drip – EW! Really bad too
     GI Issues – blood, distended abdomen, nausea, etc.
     Numbness and tingling in extremities – hands and feet/shins (sp?) are always falling asleep
     Always feel like I have a flu or cold
     Constant earaches

Just another note, if you made it this far in my post , I do honestly think your number at 232 is rather low - and can cause most, if not all of the symptoms you have listed. Your doctor is using an out dated range. And, I am by no means advocating self medicating, but you can get B12 supplements over the counter. And, B12 is not toxic, meaning you cannot overdose and cause harmful effects to your system as you can with iron supplements. If you do try this, I would suggest trying a methylcobalamin B12 supplement as this is the type your body can most readily use.

Please let me know how you get on.

EDIT: I knew that list wasn't complete lol. I also was very, very heat intolerant. Still am to a degree.

Last edited by Angela22F; 07-07-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
    TwinMom04
    (female)

TwinMom04 HB User

Hi Angela,

I just finished reading the thread you attached, holy cow 8 pages lol. Thank you for sharing your symptoms with me. I just ordered some b12 patches online. I figure if it can't hurt and might help to increase my energy then I'll give it a try. I'm supposed to go back to my Neuro in a couple weeks to go over the results to a couple blood tests he wants done (Methymalonic Acid and homocycstine levels) so I'll wait to get my blood work done until a couple days before the appointment. Hopefully some of the b12 will get absorbed by then. Have you tried the patches before?

Sorry, edited to say that the range came from the hospital lab not the doctor. Everything I've been seeing online says if I did infact have a deficiency then my cbc numbers should have been low and most of mine were a little elevated. I'm also seeing online that my HB level is at a "healthy" level. If I do have a deficiency it should be reflected in my HB right?

WBC 10.5 (3.5 - 9.6)
    RBC 4.98 (3.89 - 4.56)
    HGB 14.6 (12.1 - 13.9)
    HCT 43 (36-41)

Platelet count 417 (169-413)
    MPV 7.6 (7.5 - 11.2)

Vitamin B12 232 (180-914)

cardiac/Liver -
    total billiruben 1.4 (0.3 - 1.2)
    A/G ratio 1.0 (1.2 - 2.3)

Protien studies -
    CRP 2.0 (should be <0.9)

Last edited by TwinMom04; 07-07-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Hi TwinMom

Yeah it's long lol, sorry should have warned ya

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your doctor was out-dated, I do realize it's hospital ranges. And, honestly, your doctor seems better than most, in that he is running the extra tests for you (Methymalonic Acid and homocycstine levels). It's just in new medical literature, the range has been risen from approx 200 as the lowest end to approx 500 as the low end number, and it has been adapted already in some places.

Don't quote me, but, I believe the only time a B12 deficiency will affect your CBC is when it is actually classed as anemia - or pernicious anemia. You can indeed have a deficiency and not have the associated anemia.

Personally, with a level of B12 at 232 I know I would feel horrible and would have all the symptoms you have posted. I haven't tried any supplementation other than the injections... this is what my doctor first prescribed and it is working so I've stuck with it

Just wanted to add, that it was some 4/5 injections and approx 4 months before I felt any better.. I'm not sure how long it takes for the levels to rise, but in Feb I was at 83 and in June it was 609... hopefully, if your body is properly storing B12, you should some rise (even if only a few numbers)...

Last edited by Angela22F; 07-10-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Closed Thread