It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Question about Male Infertility

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
    tami52100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tami52100 HB User
    Question Question about Male Infertility

Hey everyone I am feeling kinda hopeless today and I think I am about to give up because after 6 years of struggling I don't know if I can deal with another heartache I have so much respect for all of you I don't know how you find the strength I do everything I can I am religious I have probably prayed more in the last year than I have my whole life. Maybe I am just having a day and it will pass I hope at the moment I just want to cry.Well enough of that and on to the reason i am feeling the way I am.
    My DH first Sa said he had low motility but other than that everything was fine well I did get pg ( ended in M/C). Well my dr. requested for him to do another one so he did yesterday. When I talked to the nurse all she said is it is low well it is lower than before he needs to see the doctor so she made him an apt. for 7/13 she would not tell me any numbers
    Does anyone know what would make it go down?
    Do you know anything that would help him have better motility?
    and does it matter how long they let it just sit before they did the test? My doctor said it needed to be done 2 hrs after it was taken it that does matter then it was taken at 12:50 well at 4:45 they had just done the test. I don't know if that matters or not maybe ya'll can help me.
    I know we still have a chance with IFV and IUI but we don't have insurance that covers infertility so we have just about spent everything we had saved ( and still in the same place we was when we started) so IF you know of anything to help male infertility we will try it.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Tami

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
    ASPROUSEY05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User
    Re: Question about Male Infertility

Tami Im So Sorry You Are Feeling This Way.. I Am Only 24, But When Me And Dh Were Dating (i Was A Little Immature And Stopped Trying To Protect Myself) And Month After Month Nothing Happend. After About 2 Yrs Of That, We Actually Started Trying, And Still Nothing. We Got Married And After About 6 Mos Saw Our Ob, Got The Prelimanary Tests And Now With An Re.. So At 24 I Have Already Been Ttc For 4 Yrs, And The Culprit Mf!! My Dh Has Low Morph And Low Count (under 200,000) Im Gonna Do Whatever It Takes, So Dont Give Up!!! With Each Sa He Did He Had To Have It There Within An Hr After He (ejaculated) A Fever That He Had A Few Weeks Ago Could Cause A Slight Decrease, A Virus, Etc... If His Numbers Werent Too Bad Last Time I Would Have Them Repeat It And Do The Test Promptly!!!! If Left Out They Die... Did Ur Husband Give The Sample At The Dr Or At Home And Drive It?? For A Better Result I Would Do It At The Dr... If He Does Need Some Help Tho, He Can Take A Mens Multi Vitamin With Xtra Zinc, Folic Acid, And Antioxidants!! Good Luck Tami And Try To Stay Positive, U Already Found Out U Can Get Pregnant, So Ur Miracle Can Come Very Soon

Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
    suesy
    Veteran
    (female)

suesy HB User

Hi Tami - sorry you're having such a bad day... I've been there and probably will be again before this whole thing is resolved. Infertility is just a rollercoaster ride. Today I'm having a particularly good day (not sure why, but I'm not questioning it)... so I'm trying to send some of my positive happy vibes your way.

As for MF and low motility... there are a couple of things I learned about it. First, my DH has had 3 SAs, plus the 4 analyses that were done when we did IUI. None of them were exactly the same. He was borderline a few times (just under 19 mil count w/ so-so motility) and then perfectly fine a few times (once count was 50 mil, but still so-so motility). His morphology also checked out fine (has your DH had this checked yet?). None of his samples were taken at the dr. office, but I agree with asprouse... that would give the most accurate results. So I think there is some natural variability in everyone - time of day might be one factor.

Second... does your DH often use a laptop computer on his lap? Believe it or not, recent studies have shown that this can lower sperm count & motility (because of the heat it generates). I got the studies & info from my RE and the outcomes are pretty clear. Pretty much anything else that generates heat in the groin area for men will have the same negative effect.

Hopefully that's some help. Lots of hugs to you!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
    Kim Lowe
    (female)

Kim Lowe HB User

Hi Tami. I do feel for you as we are in the same position wanting to find out anything we can to increase my husbands sperm count. He is taking vitamin C,E, zinc and B12. After 6 months there has been a marked difference so much so that the grading after egg retrieval on both IVF attempts has been good.
    He has also stopped wearing underpants at night and although he has not stopped cycling altogether he has definitely cut back. I wish there was a miracle pill that our DH can take so that it would help us. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
    tami52100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tami52100 HB User

Thank you everyone for the kind words they really mean alot on days like today.
    Asprousey05 : I am like you i am 25 my dh and i have known each other since high school. When I moved back home and was pg we met back up and the rest is history we was like you we knew we wanted a family together so before we got married we ttc but no luck we just played it off my body wasn't ready again after having Cody ( our son) now married for 6 years and still the same the only difference is he is a father to Cody he did adopt him. He is a really great guy he says it don't matter if it don't work out he has a son.
    On doing the test his dr said he has to do it at home set it at room temp. then we have to drive it 45 mins there and it has to be there with in the 2 hours so I think the drive and just sitting out here has alot to do with it.
    His sperm count wasn't high before if i remember correctly it was like 20-30mil
    but my doctors tossed it to the side because I did get pregnant. Ever since the first Sa he has been taking a multi vit. I don't know if weight has anything to do with men like it does women my husband is over weight but very active. He gets hot at work he is a mechanic for an onland drilling company and most of his work is in a shop (no ac) or on the site and here it is 95degrees or so and very humid could that have some to do with it? When he is home he is in loose shorts and boxers at night.
    I was on some site for male infertility they have this stuff called Proxeed
    (really expensive) have any of you ever heard of it and does it work?
    Again Thank you all for the support I know in my heart I am not ready to give up just yet it is just really hard some days. ever time I think I have took one step forward it seems I take four more back

I hope we all get our little ones soon!!
    Good luck to all of you
    Tami

Old 07-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
    km7503
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

km7503 HB User

My DH has also done deveral SAs and my RE says it's normal for them to go up and down. IVF with ICSI is not out of the question as I am now in my 3rd cycle, (2nd fresh). IUI was never even brought up as an option so I think it depends on the count if this is even a successful option.

There are a few things your DH can do but it takes a while for it to be in effect, (I think the sperm cycle is about 75 days from beginning to ejaculation). Vitamins are good but not always effective. My acupuncturist is now working with my DH and says that a low count is actually an easy thing to fix. So, we haven't seen a result yet from this, but I would recommend it, I guess it's worth a try!! Good luck!!!

PS Sometimes the labs aren't that good at testing SA and maybe you should go to an RE to have them analyze it. My DH got better, more conclusive results when he did that and was able to do it at the office. By the way, even if his count is very low, when doing IVF with ICSI they only need as many as they are going to fertilize and they will pick the best from what they see.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
    tami52100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tami52100 HB User

Well, my Dh went to the doctor yesterday. He said that his spermcount was good,motility was borderline. They gave him clomid to take 25mg a day did some blood work (FS, FHS I think that is what it was) and come back for a repeat Sa in 3 months. What is the blood test, what does it tell? I didn't get to talk to the doctor to ask my thousands of questions and my DH don't ask anything he says he is clueless to all of this and leaves the questions up to me On him taking the Clomid does anyone know if it helps? I seen one study that said it help the count and motility but did not increase getting pg that don't make any sense to me I thaught better count better motililty better the chance of get pg but I don't know.
    Maybe someone can help me, his bloodtest should be in end of next week and I would like to know what they are talking about when they call and give me the results . So if anyone can give me any help I really Thank you.
    Tami

Old 07-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
    ledfoot
    (female)

ledfoot HB User

Hi, After 5 unsuccessful years of ttc,(unknown cause) with 6 failed IUI and 1 failed IVF and one cancelled IVF, I changed to another clinic only to discover that my dh sperm not only had poor motility,but also such poor morphology,that his sperm heads penetrating my eggs was highly unlikely.(lack of drills) This might explain why only 1 out of 6 eggs fertilized on my failed IVF,and why the IUI failed.At now 41, my age compounds the problem as my eggs are 'harder to crack' and need stronger sperm.(double whammy).We will next have to do IVF/ICSI.My dh was already on multivits,zinc and selenium,he is trying hard to stop smoking,and now also taking PYCNOGENOL, a plant extract high in antioxidants,which is reputed to improve sperm quality. Green tea is also high in antioxidants so I hope will also help.We have both cut out caffeine and alcohol and given ourselves 3 months to get into the best shape we can as advised by our new clinic before the next IVF.
    I cannot understand how the poor sperm quality was not identified before,but so glad I decided to change clinic.
    Good luck!

~kay

Last edited by ledfoot; 07-18-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User

ledfoot,

Don't give up! My husband had less than 12% normal morph.We were ttc for over a year. He also started to take the pycnogenol.I don't know if it was what worked but after he took it for a few months, we got a bfp! His count was high so that helped~Don't give up on your dream! I am 37 so no spring chicken, but I will be a mom to a baby girl in 2 short months!Good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
    ledfoot
    (female)

ledfoot HB User

Thanks Ibp,thats very encouraging to know and I hope we have your great results too.(little soldiers armed with power drills!) Congratulations on soon becoming a mum,and hope all goes well for you!
    ~kay

Closed Thread