It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• hard stools and gas

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User
    hard stools and gas

okay ladies, I need your help. I'm almost exclusively formula feeding now (long story - but bottom line is no breast milk) and I have a 5 week old suffering from hard stools and gas. I've already spoken to my ped and urgent ped care. I'm doing the bicycle kicks, tummy rubs, and the rectal thermometer sphyincter stretch that I was told to do and still have issues. Switched to low iron food as I was told that it may cause constipation, but he's still gassy and the poop balls have softened up a bit (but have not gone away). I don't know if he is alergic to the formula or what! He may have a small patch of excema on his forehead, but I'm not sure since I've never seen excema before. He does have the baby acne though. He's fussy, doesn't want to stay laying down for long unless he's just plain exhausted from all the crying. He kicks hard and is in obvious pain when he's trying to pass gas I just feel sooooo bad!!!!!! Oh, and he's on the mylocin (or whatever that gas relief stuff is called)

Does anyone have experience with soy food, or lactose free food, or organic? My ped is on vacation for the next 2 weeks and I couldn't see her before she left (insurance lapse - ugh!). I just wanted to know what you ladies have experienced and if you have suggestions.

Thanks!
    Stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User
    Re: hard stools and gas

I think many moms went through this, unfortunatly time is the best medicine. My son had lots and lots of gas in the first 8wks, nothing really worked. You can always try warm blanket on the tummy (put it in the drier for a bit) or grape water. Hang in there, it will get better, I dont' think changing formula will really make a huge difference.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
    rojo6pak
    (female)

rojo6pak HB User

QT- Are DS are going through the exact same thing!!! and I'm at the point of being REALLY frustrated! I stopped B/F about 5 weeks ago as I couldn't produce a sufficient amount for both of them. so then I put them on Isomil as directed by my Ped. B/C she felt that dairy would bother them. They started to get really gassy and constipated for about three days and then it went away. So, four about 5 weeks they were fine, Up until four days ago. Out of nowhere it started up AGAIN Now my Ped. I called her in a frantic, b/c at one point one of them had a little blood in his stool. She told me about "rectal thermometer" thing, I have opted for prune juice. IT WORKS. She told me NOT TO WORRY In the meantime, I am supposed to deal with my poor little darlings crying in pain I noticed about two days before they became constipated their little poopy turned green. I knew something was up then. I hope this ends soon
    As for the eczema, yep the've got that too! Ped said it was because of the drastic changes of being in water for nine months to air..Normal stuff too (I guess). I just load them up with Shea butter lotions. Seems to work.
    If you hear anything else about the "stool" issue please post them. I need all the help I can get.
    Other than that, glad to hear you and your little Angel baby are doing fine.
    Happy to see you again. Keep in touch
    Rojo

Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
    rojo6pak
    (female)

rojo6pak HB User

Oh yeah, I forgot, you asked about the Soy or Organic formulas, My boys are on Isomil which is Soy and again they are going through the same thing as your little guy! I was told that Soy can also cause constipation(go figure) Some babies just have a hard time digesting it, so needless to say, I think it all depends on the baby and what they can handle. Gosh I wish I could have continued B/F, as that is the best for them, but, if you can't, you can't! I tried by golly!!! Good luck
    again, Rojo

Old 07-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #5
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

hi
    my ds gets constipated the only thing that works for us is prune juice he has drunk this mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with cooled boiled water since he was about 10 weeks old. my health visitor recommended it works better than the laxative the doc prescribed and of course more gentle on hi little system. hope you have some luck soon

Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
    monnitascl
    (female)

monnitascl HB User

What about chamomille tea with dark karo syrup? My DD is going through the same thing hard stool and alot of kicking and crying. I went to her Dr. yesterday and he recommended 1oz. of chamomile tea mixed with a tablespoon of karo syrup. They said that Prune juice cause alot more little cramps to babies, before they get better I don't want my DD to go through that. Hopefully the tea and syrup works I'll keep you posted!!!

Closed Thread