It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro encouragment please !

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
    KArast
    (female)

KArast HB User
    Lexapro encouragment please !

Hi-I'm new to the board and hope some fellow anxiety sufferers can help me out during this scary time. I've always been an anxious person, since childhood, throwing up before school everyday , excess worrying etc. The anxiety has followed me through adulthood (now 45) but seems to become crisis like every 5 yrs or so during periods of extreme stress in my life. Anyway, my current stress is anxiety related insomnia which I've had on and off but has exacerbated to the point where I've developed a fear of not sleeping which in turn raises my anxiety which worsens the insomnia-a viscious cycle. Anxiety from poor sleep and worrying about not sleeping has made me miserable and anxious all day. I want my life back! I finally decided to see a pysch. who has put me on Lexapro-2.5 mg to start. I was on zoloft 6 yrs ago for an intense anxiety reaction to a job change and I recall having a tough time adjusting to the dose. Eventually things leveled out and I felt OK, but never "great" so this time I opted to try a different SSRI. I'm only on day 3 of 2.5 mg but I feel nauseous, having loose stools, feel nervous and am fearful this med will not work for me. Klonopin & ambien at night has helped me sleep but the mere thought of taking all these meds to get me to sleep is in itself anxiety producing-kind of a catch 22. My hope is that the lexapro will eventually decrease my anxiety so I can drift off on my own. Do you think this is likely? I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with starting this drug, their side effects, how long it took to rid of them, and when they started to feel more "normal". I'm desperate for positive stories.

thanks so much-this seems like a great board!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
    anxiousagain
    (female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
    Re: Lexapro encouragment please !

Hi KARast,

I can't speak for Lexapro (I'm on Day 12 of Remeron) but I can relate to your vicious sleep cycle. When my anxiety was at its peak, I did not get a single minute of sleep a few nights. The Remeron has helped somewhat in that department, as did an occasional Klonopin (like you I refuse to take this med unless absolutely necessary--drug dependency is not something I want to be doing). Interestingly enough, this is my second bout with severe anxiety, and it's been just less than 5 years since the last one. I have an even worse problem than you do with mine, though. My anxiety makes me completely lose my appetite. Then, when I force myself to eat, I think about how I don't want to eat and that makes it all the more difficult to get it down. It's a very troublesome symptom, let me tell you. I know a lot of people would love to lose their appetite and thus lose weight, but I'm not overweight to begin with! Anyway, just wanted to let you know I can relate. My Remeron was supposed to increase my appetite (it didn't) but other than helping me sleep, I've noticed no side effects. I have heard, however, that a lot of side effects disappear after your body has had time to adjust to the medication. Hang in there.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
    Ariom
    (female)

Ariom HB User

Hi KArast, hang in there!!!! Takes time for meds to take effect and I am sure you heard this before. I can tell you about my exp. w/Lexapro but don't let it get you down. I can sit here and lie, but then again it is not my nature and I just can't do it. I was prescribed Lexapro about 5 months ago, and let me tell you, it was not for me. I felt even more anxious and depressed. I don't even suffer from depression, I just felt sort, let's say on cloud nine, and high. but that was my exp., meds work differently for everyone. I wanted relief from my anxiety not more intensfied feelings of it. I didn't even want ot get out of bed, and the worst symptom of all was I couldn't even tal, it was almost as if my jaw was locking up on me. I gave it 4 weeks, and forgot to mention my doctor gave me Xanax to help cope with the feelings of the drug, and I got off Lexapro, was not for me.
    You are going to get a lot of feedback here, which is a good thing, but the only person who can really answer your questions are you and your doctor. But you do have to hang in there, sorry about repeating myself. Ask your doctor if he/she can give you soemthing in the mesntime to help you cope with getting used to the medication.

Let me know how you are doing, always here to listen.

Ariom

Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
    jjules
    (female)

jjules HB User

Hi Krast, I take 10mg of Lexapro for about a year and @ 1st my worst side effect was loose stool (no fun of course) but other than that it has been great for me. I also take 0.5 of Lorazapam for panic disorder. If I wouldn't have finally after so many years of anxiey/panic I certainly think I wouldn't be here or in a instution-god I felt so crazy......You can alway try something else but give the Lexapro a chance hopefully and side effects will fade into the sunset with all you worries. Take care & good luck! Jules

Closed Thread