It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spironolactone for Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2006, 06:41 AM   #46
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User
    Re: Spironolactone for Acne

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meow_doldol
    I just started Spiro a week and a half ago and I am having worse acne (white heads and cysts) than before and in more places than I normally do. I also have more oily face and my hair is more rough. I am not sure how long its suppose to take before seeing improvements, have you guys noticed acne worsening in the first month or two before you started to see improvement? I am thinking I should discontinue, but I am not sure how long I should wait. I am taking 50mg twice a day. Thanks.
    I have only been taking it for 3 days so I would also like to know if it gets worse before it gets better. But it take between 2 to 4 months for it to start working (is what I'm told- or for you to see a major difference). My derm dr also has me on doxy 100mgs right now and I'm going to be on it for a couple months so it can help my acne right now as I'm waiting for the spiro to kick in. So maybe you should talk to your dr. about that. Really I would wait to see about this drug. Wait 5 months. I really feel that spiro is what I need. I feel that after all I have been through with my acne and how bad i've felt about it, I need to wait this out and see if this will help me. I really feel that it will. We just need to give it time. I really hope this works for you. My acne is really bad right now! Seriously this is my worst beakout ever, and it's been going on for about 2 months. I've been so depressed about it. I am so glad to I have found this message board and want to thank EVERYONE on here!!! You guys have let me vent and showed me that I am not the only one who feels this way. Alot of friends and family don't understand. Please stick with it and talk to your dr. about maybe taking something else while waiting for the spiro to kick in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #47
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

That's interesting about the chirrosis--from what I've read, Spiro is often a treatment for that, not a cause of it. I guess everyone reacts differently, though.

Hope everything works out OK

Old 07-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #48
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Please do not give up.....I have been on Spiro since March, 2006 and would say that the first month is the worst. I was on 50mg and my acne did get worse, I had headaches, tired and dehydrated. Around June and now in July all those symptons have disappeared and my face is as clear as when I was a child and no more oil!! Please hang in there...it does get better around three or four months on Spiro. My current dose is 50mg in the AM and 50mg in the PM. Drink lots of water!!!! Good luck to all, but I think this is my miracle drug.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #49
    meow_doldol
    (female)

meow_doldol HB User

Hi Kathleen, I am continuing with the spiro, but oddly I don't have any side effects that people, including yourself, have described. I mean, no side efffects AT ALL. Same body functions as it was before I took spiro, which is also a reason why I don't think its working for me. Arhhh, I am not noticing oil reduction either. I am worried that I am taking this for nothing, but I guess I will tough it out for a couple of months. I thought it was odd that I don't have any side effects.....

Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #50
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meow_doldol
    Hi Kathleen, I am continuing with the spiro, but oddly I don't have any side effects that people, including yourself, have described. I mean, no side efffects AT ALL. Same body functions as it was before I took spiro, which is also a reason why I don't think its working for me. Arhhh, I am not noticing oil reduction either. I am worried that I am taking this for nothing, but I guess I will tough it out for a couple of months. I thought it was odd that I don't have any side effects.....
    What dose are you on? My endocrinioglist told me that she usually starts patients at 200 mg a day because otherwise, the lower dose wouldn't be as effective and since it takes months before seeing results, it would end up being a big waste of time.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #51
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

I wish the doctors would be more consistent and knowledgable with the use of Spiro for acne. My endo started me on only 25mg for one month, which was too little dose and a waste. Each time she upped the dose, but since I am doing so well on the 100mg, we see no need to increase now. In the beginning, I did have some side effects, headache and tired, but when I increased my water intake all was well. Spiro works gradually and the minimum time needed to see a change is two to four months. I know skin and hair need the full dose of Spiro of 100mg to 200mg. I guess doctors will start you on the minimum dose, to prevent side effects: low blood pressure, tired, dizzy, weak and shortening of the menstrual cycle.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #52
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathleen0604
    I wish the doctors would be more consistent and knowledgable with the use of Spiro for acne. My endo started me on only 25mg for one month, which was too little dose and a waste. Each time she upped the dose, but since I am doing so well on the 100mg, we see no need to increase now. In the beginning, I did have some side effects, headache and tired, but when I increased my water intake all was well. Spiro works gradually and the minimum time needed to see a change is two to four months. I know skin and hair need the full dose of Spiro of 100mg to 200mg. I guess doctors will start you on the minimum dose, to prevent side effects: low blood pressure, tired, dizzy, weak and shortening of the menstrual cycle.

This is what I am hoping the doctor is doing for my daughter. Perhaps he is working her into spiro slowly because she is only on 25 mgs. now. Can't ask the doc about it cause he's out of town. I don't even know if he knows about higher doses. So far, not too much is happening side effects wise or results wise. I do think it's a good idea to be on the lowest dosage that works for you.

Last edited by skimom; 07-25-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #53
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Skimom--I think we talked a few months back about your daughter. I am the girl that lives in Adirondack,NY. You are such a good mom to do all this research for your daughter. My daughter is only 7, and I hope she never gets this terrible disease - ACNE. It must be heartbreaking for you..I can just imagine. Like others have said on this board, it seems like Spiro did the trick for most of us. The 25mg is too low, like Dr. Redmond said in his book (and I know you read it), the minimum dose for skin is 100mg-200mg. If your daughter sees no improvement on the 25mg, see if you can at least get it increased to 50mg. Isn't she also on Yasmin? This has 25mg of Spiro in it, so she could at least be getting 75mg. Nothing happened for me on the lower doses, until I hit 75mg and now 100mg. Let me know if I can help with anything for her.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #54
    iamcreamsoda
    (male)

iamcreamsoda HB User

What is Spironolactone?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #55
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

I was just reading this so thought I'd post it:

Spironolactone has several properties that make it suitable for use in treating hirsutism. It interferes with the production of testosterone and it increases the metabolism of any testosterone that is produced. Spironolactone binds to cell androgen receptors and blocks them from binding to naturally produced androgens. In addition with long term spironolactone use, there is a gradual reduction in 5 alpha reductase activity. It is this enzyme that converts testosterone to the more potent, hair follicle stimulating, dihydrotestosterone.

Also:

Finasteride (marketed as Propecia and Proscar)

Promoted for use in treating pattern baldness and benign prostate hyperplasia, respectively, it's a type II 5alpha reductase inhibitor. This enzyme blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent stimulator of hair loss in scalp follicles and hair growth in body hair follicles that have androgen receptors.

When finasteride was tested on postmenopausal women with pattern baldness there was little or no response. However, in trials for hirsutism finasteride has some significant promise. Results with finasteride alone in some trials have been comparable with oral antiandrogens, and the combination of finasteride plus other antiandrogens have shown an improved effect over using treatments separately. Although it may not be an appropriate treatment in every situation, finasteride is a readily available and relatively safe treatment option. The most significant side effect is that male fetuses will develop with female genitalia in any pregnant woman using finasteride. Consequently, dermatologists ensure one or more forms of birth control are used by any woman using finasteride. Other side effects reported include breast enlargement and increased libido (in contrast to decreased libido in men).

I've always thought it interesting that what causes hirsutism is the same thing that male pattern baldness.

It describes more treatments, including the CPA which isn't available in the U.S.

[url]http://www.hairfacts.com/methods/rxoral.html[/url]

Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #56
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathleen0604
    Skimom--I think we talked a few months back about your daughter. I am the girl that lives in Adirondack,NY. You are such a good mom to do all this research for your daughter. My daughter is only 7, and I hope she never gets this terrible disease - ACNE. It must be heartbreaking for you..I can just imagine. Like others have said on this board, it seems like Spiro did the trick for most of us. The 25mg is too low, like Dr. Redmond said in his book (and I know you read it), the minimum dose for skin is 100mg-200mg. If your daughter sees no improvement on the 25mg, see if you can at least get it increased to 50mg. Isn't she also on Yasmin? This has 25mg of Spiro in it, so she could at least be getting 75mg. Nothing happened for me on the lower doses, until I hit 75mg and now 100mg. Let me know if I can help with anything for her.

Thank you for the kind words and concern, Kathleen. Yes, she pretty much leaves all the research to me. I just don't know if she appreciates it or if she thinks I am crazy I do know that she very patient. The derm gets back from vacation the same day as her appointment so I'll try and talk to him before he sees her. I am hoping that he is working her into it slowly and isn't just stuck on that 25 mgs. amount. I hate to feel like I need to tell doctors what to do. It's so annoying.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #57
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

I had a hard time conveniencing my derm to even start me on Spiro. I felt like I was begging and quoting Dr. Redmonds book the entire appointment and left defeated with my prescription for Minocin and Cleocin T.....what a waste of time. Next day I went to my endo who was willing to give Spiro a try, but only at the 25mg. I left that appointment with at least the Spiro Rx in hand even though I knew 25mg was too low. So, you are doing the right thing...your daughter has tried the lower dose with no success, the doctor will have to increase it. Good luck. Please update after her next appointment.

Last edited by kathleen0604; 07-26-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #58
    Steffers2318
    Veteran
    (female)

Steffers2318 HB User

I have been using Spiro for about a month (50mg) and I am really happy with the results...I still have some small zits but it's a big improvement. So 50 is low according to that book but I guess it just depends on the person. Drs. probably take your size/weight into account...100 would probably be way too much for me!

Old 07-27-2006, 02:29 PM   #59
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I'm on 200 mg and weigh about 120

Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #60
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachy420
    I'm on 200 mg and weigh about 120
    Peachy,

How long did it take for you to see results? I was thinking maybe being on a highly dose would speed it up?

Closed Thread