It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User
    Re: Lipitor Questions

Finres,
    Thank you so much for your answer, I really was doubting (even after over 5 months) that it could be something else. I appreciate all of the people who took the time to give me some much needed advice.
    THANK YOU!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Hi,
    I have another question, does anyone experience extra bad arthritis pain along with the muscle pain? I have been off Lipitor for 18 days now and sometimes it seems to be a little bit better,but my arthritis,especially in the rib cage is worse,plus I am having trouble with my hiatel hernia even though I am on Nexium. Could this all go back to the Lipitor?? I would really appreciate some help before I go totally bonkers.
    Many thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Well, it has been 3 months since I discontinued taking Lipitor, I sometimes notice a difference in the amount of pain and burning,some days it is much better and then some days it feels terrible, I understand from reading these posts that it can take up to 6 or 8 months to feel better,but I wondered is this the way the healing starts? I know I'm going to have to start taking more medication because my cholestral goes way up and I already have one full blockage (which has formed its own collaterals) one with a stent and one with 40% block. But I would like to get one problem under control before I get another. My doctor has suggested I take Omega-3. has anyone had success with this and can it be tolerated by someone with a highly sensitive stomach? Thank you for any info!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #19
    Schupp1832
    Inactive

Schupp1832 HB User

The muscle and joint pain is a sign of myopathy, a condition that should be reported to your doctor. The makers of statins warn that one stop taking the drug immediately when this side effect presents itself. If left unchecked, it can be damaging to the kidneys and eventually cause death. Myopathy is painful muscle wasting. Muscle protein gets in the blood and is very hard on the kidneys. Don't ignore this problem. Statins, like so many other drugs, harm and kill a lot of people.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imacarbuff
    I have to agree with Hubble for sure. I stopped statins over one month ago and continue to have pains. I had hoped that once off the statins that I would bounce back very quickly. That has not happed...but as you've read, it takes 6 months for some of the regenration process to take place. It's very hard to deal with, and hard to be patient. I do get encouragement here when I see that others have also had to invest months and months waiting to get back to normal. I would take the COQ10 (I take 100mg but am going to at least 200mg) and 1000mg of Vit C. I also take Folic Acid 400mg.

Something I haven't seen others report, but other than the muscle aches I now continue to have low body temperature (95.5 at night zooms to 97 degrees during the day. This started at the same time as the muscle aches and burning. I still feel tired and weaker but try to keep a good attitude about this that it is temporary. I'm hoping that since I was in pretty good shape before this happened, that my odds of complete recovery are decent.

I hope the best for your dad.....I sure know how he feels
    Imacarbuff
    On your low body temperature...you metabloism has been slowed. I think you might want to read/search (semenkovich low metabolism and heart disease). He is a research doctor at washington university in st. louis (school of medicine). He was wanting to explain why cholesterol was only present in increased rates in some of the people with heart disease. THey thought if you lowered metabolism, the cells and heart might benefit. He said they were absolutely wrong in the aspect. This research is also interesting on the aspect of essential fatty acids... (fish oil)... It also could be that you thyroid became "fouled up". Body temperature is not variable in people. It must be kept in a certain "tight" range for certain enzymes to be activated. Some doctors will say that your temperature just runs lower than other people, not to worry. As Dr. Semenkovich found, it is very important.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
    dianemam
    (female)

dianemam HB User

Hey all
    This is my first post, but I am encouraged by what I have been reading.
    I had been on cholestral meds for about 20 years...mostly lipitor, and it was helping but never got my TC down below 250. I use to be a runner, as in I ran 5 miles every day, and usually 8 miles on the weekends. About 6 years ago, I started having trouble running, so had to slow down, then trouble walking, and could not walk fast at all. It felt as if I was walking in water...extremely difficult, and started to be painful as well. This progressed untill it was very painful to walk at all, and all my muscles were hurting, esp down the back of my legs. Went to many doctors, had shots in my back, nerve distruction done in my back, xrays, etc, and finally, a nero doctor said, its the choloesteral meds. SO, 2 years ago, I stopped taking the meds, and it has gotten a bit better, but still painful, and very weak leg muscles. I am wondering if these meds can cause permanant damage? My regular doctor says no, but she also is tired of dealing with me and just wants to keep me on pain meds, which I was on, untill they stopped helping at all, and I had to go thru withdrawls to get off. I am going to try the COQ10 enzime, and another doctor is having me try Tricor. I am so oooo tired of the pain, and esp the weakness. If I walk down a flight of stairs, or up, my legs are shaking. Sorry this is so long, I am excited to find out anything. BTW, my total cholesteral is 485, and I haven't looked at the rest of it...can't calculate it. I am 51 year young female, feeling 80.
    Thanks for listening.
    diane

Old 07-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
    mattsmom32
    (female)

mattsmom32 HB User

Just wondering if the myopathy can be in just one area of the body. My right arm, specifically from just below the elbow to the shoulder/neck. That's the only muscle pain I have.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #23
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

Dianemam,
    I have been going through pretty much the same as you except my pain and muscle problems are in the upper back,down the arms and in my chest. I have been off Lipitor for 4 months,after 1 month the doctor put me on Zitia,I was on that for 5 weeks but since it works through the intestines and I have pretty bad IBS, I couldn't take it either. Now after 6 weeks off the Zitia and a real hike in my TC 298 and LDL went up t0 221. Having CAD with three blockages and a stent I can't afford these numbers. Now, the doctor put me on Zocor and I'm praying this works,even though the pain from the Lipitor hasn't gone away,it's better but still present. Please let me know how you do on Tricor,real well,I hope.
    Good luck!!

Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
    dianemam
    (female)

dianemam HB User

MM32,
    I have that pain in my Left arm, from elbow to shoulder, too. I cannot hold my arm up over my head at all.
    Zimm,
    I also use to fall down, all the time, and when I stopped the lipitor, that ended too. That was the most noticiable change, to make me feel the lipitor was doing bad things.
    I just wonder if this pain I still have could be permanant, and if it is, will the COQ10 enzyme help at all? Its worth a try, for me. We have major clogging problems in my family, my father had 4way bypass, brother, at 52, same thing, and my mom died of a stroke, so.....I kinda think I need to get my numbers down. But, I don't want to sit the couch with the heating pad forever either.
    Thanks to you both for the responses.
    My husband just had a heart attack, 3 weeks ago, and had 4 stents put in, so I am trying to get serious about all this, for his sake too.
    D.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #25
    mattsmom32
    (female)

mattsmom32 HB User

Thanks for the info dianemam. I'm going to see my orthopedist on Weds for carpal tunnel, and will ask him if he thinks that my elbow shoulder pain could be from the Vytorin I'm on.

Some days it's not too bad, but then I'll lift my purse wrong or something and it will hurt for days. Scratching my head hurts, brushing my hair or reaching to put something in the cabinet away. What's weird is even walking on the treadmill, just resting my hand on the bar makes it almost be impossible to move.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #26
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverick1
    My Father has been on Lipitor for quite a while and is a very active and strong as a bull 67 year old. He recently within the last month or so developed severe pain in his legs . He can barely move , walk, now the pain is in his shoulders and he can't even lift a comb to comb his hair. He says it hurts to have his jacket on his shoulders. Once so fit, now he moves and acts as if he is 90+. He has stopped taking lipitor after talking to many who have had the same sysmptons. His docs are doing many tests, liver test came back normal, they did blood work and are waiting results of a cpk test. They want him to talk to a rumatoid arthritis doc, so we are waiting for that.. He is soaking daily in a hot tub and a suana and says that makes him feel better, but then once out, things go back to the way they were. Does anyone know what he can do? He can't sleep at nigh because he wakes up in pain and has to move to a different position which is painful ANy help would be greatly appreciated. He has been off this drug now for about 5 weeks.

THis sounds like my symptons after taking Lipitor for years as well as other Satins, as they came on the market. So after a blood test, I was told I has Polymayaligia, a disease of certain blood cell that attact the soft tissue of the joints, first starting in the neck area and working its way down to the shoulders and legs.

Your dads aches mirror my exactly. I was put on prednisone to correct the problem and after three hours of the first dose, I felt relief. The test was for "Sed Rate" to confirm the Poly. I don't really know what a cpk test is, but I suspect it is a Sed Rate test.

I have been off Lip. for 6-7 months and fell much better other then the nagging weakness in my legs, which again with the help of Pred. I can fuction pretty much normal.

I blame the all the Satins for my problems. I know these meds. are helping millions of people, but my tolerance came to an end, so I wound up like many of the people that have posts on tis forum.

I wish your dad well.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Statins have helped people lower their cholesterol numbers..anything other than "numbers" is still debatable. It also takes sometimes 20 years for cancer to show up. Statins have been shown to be carcinogenic even at doses that the normal person takes.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
    Zimm
    (female)

Zimm HB User

I also had many problems with Lipitor and have been having great difficulty finding another to lower my very high TC and LDL. I've tried the Omega-3 that everyone is talking about with horrible digestive problems. I'm now trying Cinnamon and praying it works!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #29
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

It might be that your body does NOT want your cholesterol lower. Sometimes we should listen to our bodies.

Last edited by NHone; 08-08-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #30
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I definitely agree with you that sometimes certain people have major problems with drugs cause their bodies don't want lower cholesterol. Like hubby's cardio man tells us, if any drug ruins the quality of your life, it is not worth taking. Hubby took statins for 7 years, had alot of problems, but we knew nothing about statins and their side effects, as we had no computer and knew noone that took them. After reading about them on the computer and talking with other folks, we talked with the dr. and he agreed, his PN could very well have been caused by the statins. Their are many drs. who think all these side effects are in your head, but like my old dr. always told us, listen to your body, if it isn't feeling right, find out why, and if it is because of a med., change it or get off it.

Closed Thread