It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Really strange feelings :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User
    Unhappy Really strange feelings :(

Hi,

For a while now I have had these really strange feelings and its really worrying me and causing me severe anxiety (which i already suffer from anyway- anxiety/ocd)
    basically sometimes my head feels strange, i get weird sensations, and its like i am 'aware' of certain areas in my head, the area tends to change, it is normally either in the scalp right on top of my head, in the scalp at the back of my head or sometimes it even feels like kinda of air or pressure trapped right at the back of my brain almost. what is really weird (and this might make me sound totally crazy but its really difficult feeling to explain!!) it feels like it is connected somehow to saliva/mucus in the throat/mouth and strange sensations in the back of the mouth, roof of the mouth and inner nose. so that was making me really panicky thinking that something in my head or brain was leaking into my throat but then i thought well maybe its actually the other way round and i am just associating those normal feelings with feelings in my head. so its like i am constantly aware of my head and any feelings in my head or scalp all the time (which i know is probably heavily due to anxiety/ocd as well) and im not even sure if the feelings are completely just anxiety related and kind of 'imaginary' or if it actually is some kind of nerve defect or something, because im always so aware of my head it always feels so heavy and slow and i dont ever want to move it around too much incase i 'trigger' off a weird feeling!
    it has got to the stage where it is totally controlling my life and holding me back from doing things i want to do and making me feel uncomfortable for sometimes the majority of a day

if anyone has any input or advice i would be so grateful,

thanks, laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
    mshell
    (female)

mshell HB User
    Re: Really strange feelings :(

I used to feel similarly about being "aware" of certain areas in the brain. I also had a strange feeling as if my brain were not stable inside my head, just sloshing around. There was no dizziness or "brain fog", just an awareness. It was a side effect from a medication for depresion and anxiety called Effexor.

What do you take for your anxiety? Maybe it is a side effect. Hope this helped

Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

hiya, thanks for your reply

but no I dont take any medication at all so it cant be that!

Like i got in the shower before and the water hit a specific part of my scalp, like right on the very top and its like i can feel a weird feeling like going right downwards from that specific spot and going into my brain, and then its like there is mucus in my throat again (sorry to sound so gross) but its not just feeling it it is actually there i cant work out the connection its so strange, but its like sometimes it seems like i only get the 'feelings' because i am kind of fixating on them.
    it makes me worry that the feeling going through neverves is triggering off something in my brain leaking or something, whereas on the other hand i know deep down that this is pretty much impossible and im just telling myself the worst and imagining all sorts of possibilites cos of the anxiety and ocd!

i dunno but it just makes me feel REALLY uncomfortable and anxious, so i am thinking about it even more then, even when there arent really any weird feelings, cos im worried that something will trigger it off :-s

its really worrying because i cant determine whether it is a 'real' symptom or an imaginary one through me being a giant stresshead!

thanks again,

laura

Old 07-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

This is horrible :'( its been fine all week, the only day i have off and these horrible feelings have to come back badly, it currently feels like there is a pencil going right through my scalp and skull into my brain and the tip is just reaching the roof of my mouth it is so uncomfortable
    i dont know what is causing this but i cant seem to find any information out about what it could be at all

Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Laura in the UK...
    You are not alone. I can't believe after reading your post's that you are and I am going through this same thing. I am so "aware" of all of the head feelings and air pressure you talk about. I too suffer from anxiety. I am not sure if my anxiety causes my awareness, or the feelings of the pressure and sensations cause me anxiety.
    I noticed a bump right at that top of my forehead along my hairline and it's been downhill ever since.
    I have strange numb feelings that come and go. The bump almost disappears but comes back. Blowdrying my hair triggers sensations also. I am stuffed up a lot and wonder if allergies are causing my sinuses to swell and make these head sensations occur. The sensations are also worse when it is rainy and damp, (which is frequent). My sister felt the bump on my head and said that I should stop looking for things, but I really dont feel right. I am also avoiding doing certain things and going out, because I am constantly feeling crappy.
    Does any of what I wrote sound familiar? I have been feeling this way since summer came and am also wondering if it is due to the higher temperatures and humidity? I feel like crap! Sorry to hear you are doing the same.
    Filenia

Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Oh my goodness thats so strange i thought i was the only one! I can totally associate with the feelings you get! And i never even considered the weather but yes it has got worse since the hot weather started! And i also feel stuffed up a lot too and have wondered if it has anything to do with sinuses! I havent noticed any dfifference when its rainy or damp but then i havent actually been out in the rain for a while, as its been so hot for ages! Are you in the UK too then?
    And my sister is always telling me to stop being a 'hypochondriac' cos im always like ohh this is wrong, this doesnt feel right, and it is always because i 'find' something and then almost fixate on it, even when im trying my hardest not to and then its like i am aware of it all the time then and worrying about it!!
    I recently bought a book from ****** that is kind of an anxiety workbook and am trying to read through it and follow the advice it gives but it is so hard because when i am feeling not so bad then im like nah im okay i dont feel so bad now, i only tend to look at it after i have had a really bad anxiety/strange feelings.
    Have you tried anything at all to help the problem and anxiety?

Nice to hear from you, its kind of reassuring that im not alsone, even though i know that its not very nice!

from Laura

Old 07-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hi Laura,
    Thanks for your response. Today I am feeling good, and of course it's sunny and dry. I would probably be dead if I lived in the UK, with the rain you get. (I think you get). I am greatful for dry and sunny. I live in the US.
    I think the reason I am so scared to go to a doctor is because 5 years ago I went for headaches, and ended up getting surgery on my sinuses. I had a very deviated septum, both sides, which I had straightened out, and I had a cyst in my ethmoid sinus. I haven't had bad headaches since. Now 5 years later, I am with the symptoms that we both discussed. I suffer terribly from allergies, and worse from anxiety. My doctor knows I am a wreck and has given me Xanax, which I take only when I am almost in a state of panic about my health. A prescription goes a long way for me, since I know that this medication can be habit forming.
    I don't like feeling this way, and am frequently on my couch, worrying. Honestly a month ago I was fine, than the hot weather came and so did my medical problems. I never thought I would be wishing for cold weather, but I seem to feel better for some strange reason, in the winter.
    So how are you feeling? I actually have a masters degree in counseling and know all about anxiety, but it's hard to convince yourself that you are okay when you have such doubts. I am pretty confident I would go to the doctors get some scans and xrays and be okay, and then I would feel better. I just cant seem to make that appointment though, based on the fact that I did need surgery 5 years ago.......ugh!!!
    Anyway just checking in with you.
    Filenia

Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Ahh yeah i know im also really wary of taking meds too! Ohh the weather here has been ridiculously hot for ages now, on the radio the other day it said that in the uk its been hotter than in Athens in greece, the canary islands and bermuda! it is baking, so im getting loads of headaches in work which is making me feel really anxious and stressed about them, today i wasnt so bad except for when i felt a strange tingling feeling in my throat/nose again and of course instantly panic thinking its caused by something really bad (when im sure that if i didnt have anxiety i would probably just dismiss the feelings down to hey fever or some other irritation and forget about them, and also i got a weird feeling in my back next to my spine which freaked me out as well!
    Im sure it is the anxiety that emphasises everything because it makes you fixate on a tiny symptom/feeling and just in thinking about it and becoming anxious it seems to make the feeling much more prominent!

But thankfully so far its not been TOO bad today! Day off tomorrow so I gotta keep myself busy or my mind wanders...

Glad you are also having a good day today! Take it easy!

Laura x

Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Laura,
    I am over here laughing at the "day off" you have tomorrow so you have to keep yourself busy because your mind wanders. I am wondering if that is my problem too. I am off the entire summer, since I work in a school. I wonder if that is my problem. Strangely my "bump" on my head appeared almost on the last day of school, and I have all the time in the world to think about what horrible thing it could be. I think tonight might be a xanax night. Why suffer?
    That's horrible about the heat. I would seriously have to be admitted to the hospital if it were that hot here. We have had some pretty hot days though, in the high 90's.
    That feeling in your nose and throat. Is it like a pressure? Almost as if you can feel the pressure either building or going down? I feel it sometimes at the roof of my mouth and then up through my nose. Right now I am very stuffed up and am going to take a sudafed decongestant. The sensations I get with that......but it does help.
    When people say how lucky I am to have the whole summer off, I just smile and say yeah......inside I am going crazy. So sad. Try to enjoy your day off tomorrow and think positive thoughts. We are okay.
    Filenia

Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hiya,

Yep the feeling is right in the back of my mouth and roof of my mouth, sometimes it seems like a slight spressure feeling, and other times it feels like a strange ticking almost, like something is climbing/crawling along, its horrible, but also i am aware of feelings of pressure inside my head or scalp and i seem to link these two feelings together as if they are connnected, i have no idea if they are or not, but i panic even more when, as has just happened before, when i put my hand over the top of my head and it seems to trigger off a weird respose and i just get this horrible feeling like as if the feeling is spreading down into my mouth/throat and it just causes me severe anxiety.
    Yesterday was okay, it started good but then i got stressed out because i touched my head and set off the weird 'feeling' so i thought i would buy some olbas oil to see if that would help with the weird nose/head feelings as i know it clears the nasal passages and sinuses and it can also be used for pain relief etc, so anyways later on i ended up dropping some drops onto my scalp to try and relieve the uncomfortable feeling and sniffing a few drops from my hand, this just resulted in my scalp going totally numb and tingling all over which caused me even WORSE anxiety and i made my nose bleed! So i had an awful nights sleep and woke up feeling agitated and irritable, its like a viscious circle! i try to do things to help with the feelings that cause anxiety but they end up making me feel MORE anxious!
    Now my mouth is also totally burned as i have over brushed my teeth using too much toothpaste in an attempt to remove the horrible feelings in my mouth!
    I just really really wish i knew what was causing these horrible feelings, its there right now, like as if there is pressure right under my scalp and it feels almost hot, which is new! I just cant stand all the stress and discomfort it is causing!
    Hope you are feeling better soon anyway, Take it easy

Laura x

Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hello Laura,
    You are too funny. You are exactly the same as me. Right down to the panic feelings. I am sorry you had a bad experience with the oil. Our symptoms seem like they are related to sinus pressure. When I press on my head right at the top where my forehead meets my hairline I get a feeling inside my nose, and then the bump actually seems to get bigger when I start to play or obssess over it. I have been usuing nasal irrigation with a non iodized salt about a teaspoon in a small cup with warm water. I take a baby aspirator ( sucks mucous from babys noses), well I use that and flush out my nose. It sounds gross but it is what the surgeon reccomended after my surgery and he told me to keep it up whenever I am stuffed up. Then I lean side to side and forward and let any excess water flow out and then I blow my nose. You may want to try this.
    I went to the doctor today but my primary was on vacation so I had to go to some other doctor. Anyway I minimized my symptoms so to avoid a CT scan and told them only of my stuffed up feeling and headaches. So I am on anibiotics now and after only two pills today I am feeling slightly better. The bump has gone down but could come back at any time which is what it seems to do. I have the feelings almost like it drains from head down my throat and sometime from my nose back up to my head. The doctor told me that the hot weather is often a culprit for sinus "stuff" especially since we go from Air conditioning to 100 degree, so the change in temperatures causes swelling of the turbinates (nasal passages). Makes sense. Today is the best I have felt and I don't know if its because of the antibiotics or because I feel psychsomatic better having seen the doctor.

I feel bad for us. We have the same exact thing. The pressure, numbness weirdness. How old are you. I am 35 and feel like I am younger, but lately I have been thinking I am too young to be feeling this bad. Last night I had a few drinks with my 80 year old aunt, and she was living it up and having a great time, and I was feeling like my head would literally explode if I drank anymore. Can't drink! Sorry the oils didnt work out. Maybe try the nasal irrigations and see if you feel any better. I have also been taking rhinocort nasal spray which seems to help at night when I am really bad. My head feels so full and heavy and when I lay down, it feels better. Well try to have a good weekend. I will check in to see how "we" are doing. Take care my friend.
    Filenia

Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hey,

Wow I cant believe how similar our symptoms are! I thought I must be the only person feeling like this! Im starting to wonder if it may be a hormone imbalance of some sort, I read that symptoms of those can include, pain or discomfort in the scalp, headaches, feelings of anxiety and panic, tiredness, weepiness, which would explain my busrting into tears in work! Im not sure though its just a consideration, im gonna go and try to see a doctor at some point this week (when im not working!!) I just wanna know what it is so i can relax a little bit more and work on getting it sorted!!

Hope you are feeling well, take it easy!

Laura

Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Ooh sorry I forgot to say.. I am 24, and i feel exactly the same i feel like i should be enjoying things a lot more and not holding back on things i want to do because im worrying! The sooner i start to get it sorted the better! And it could just be a sinus thing i suppose.. it does seem to be worse when im in work, and the air conditioning there is playing up so it is really warm and stuffy, not a lot of fresh air! And i feel like I have pretty much spent all weekend in there as i worked 1-10 last night and 10:30-5:50 today, just got home and feeling much better already!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 AM   #14
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hi Laura,
    Work stinks! Especially the long hours you are putting in. Yuk. Anyway I am feeling so much better since being on the antibiotics. I think I have a combination of things going on. The scalp doesnt feel swollen anymore, just some weird sensations at times.
    The hormonal thing you mention is interesting since I am 35 and have never had kids and am probably pre pre menapausal or something. My period has also been irregular, sometimes early and not consistant. Hmmm....I might have to start reading up on that now. I'm telling you I am constantly worried about diseases. I think I have everything, but then I actually turn out having stuff, so I don't know if I am a hypercondriac or not healthy. My physicals every year are always normal and good, but when It come to getting full tests for things, HIV ect, I panic and can't do it. (thats another whole issue). Anyway I am going to go out to the pool now and try to relax. Hope you had a good weekend. I actually managed to have a good night out on Friday and had some drinks and didn't get a headache.....shocker!!!
    Take care
    Filenia

Old 08-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hiya!

Glad you are feeling better! I am wondering if i have a sinus problem also and because im worrying about my scalp and head maybe im kind of connecting the two together (if that makes any sense?!)
    Yep I think i am a total hypochondriac too and i also think i have everything and always fear the absolute worst which just makes me panicky and higly stressed! At the moment i have that dripping feeling as if something is dripping from the back of my head down my throat and its making me feel really uncomfortable and anxious :S
    I went to see the nurse on monday evening after work and they checked my blood pressure and temperature and said they were fine, my pulse was a little fast but they said thats probably just down to being anxious. they ALSO did a pregnancy test on me!! i was soo scared but it was negative!! phew!
    Anyways they said that it COULD be a hormone imbalance or it could be that im just stressed and run down from work and worrying about the symptoms are making them seem much worse. I mentioned that my scalp felt strange like there was air pressure inside my head or under my scalp and that sometimes if i touched it in a certain place it seemed to trigger of a strange nerve feeling and i was also getting regular on and off headaches.
    she said to try and eat healthily and try and make time for regular exersize as that makes you feel better. and she said make time for myself to relax and stuff. but she did say there were other possibilites that it could be such as anemia, low blood sugars etc so she said try and make an appointment to go and see my gp when i next can but if it does get a lot worse then make the appointment more urgently.
    i am still thinking it might be hormonal as my peridos have been playing up a little too, like they have become shorter and more irregular, last month i was days easrly this month a week late so it was basically like 6 weeks between! i also explained to her that i had been on the patch and came off it in january and maybe thats whats set my hormones off and she said its a possibility.
    it just feels so weird that all these symptoms in my head could be hormonal or just anxiety based symptoms as they feel so real when i have them like something really strange is going on in my head! but i have noticed that the more i fixate on them then the worse they seem to get, and the more i try to 'treat' them then i seem to get more and more anxious over it! like somedays if i get the weird feelings but manage to deal with the anxiety for a bit then it seems to get a bit better later on in the day. does that happen to you at all?
    i ALSO had a few drinks last night but it didnt trn out as well as your night!! Basically i have a pain in my lower back which im not sure if its a work sustained injury or if it was related to my period cos as soon as that started the pain has subsided! anyways i took two co-codamol and two ibuprofen (dunno if you call them that over there?) for the pain and i asked my mum if it would be okay to take them and drink and she said she thoght it would be okay. anyways it didnt turn out so good cos we had people round from 6 as it was my mums 50th birthday and we were going to a really nice restaurant! anyways i think because of the pills my body wasnt dealing as well with the wine i was drinking as well as i could of and i felt really drunk so after the meal my boyfriend took me home and i just felt AWFUL i dont know why but i just started panicking and i couldnt breathe and so i was hyperventilating really badly and ended up having a fully blown panic attack, it was awful and i cant remember much about it really apart from my bf trying to calm me down and make me relax and breathe slowly, and i was crying hysterically it was horrible! and because i had worked myself up so much, and probably also because of the effects of the pills with the alcohol i was really sick then so it ruined my night basically and i was so annoyed as i was looking forward to it for ages! So i have spent most of today in bed! and havng wierd sensations in my head again so its been a pretty rubbish day really!
    I have started taking kalms again i find they are very good for feelings of anxiety but they normally take a few days before you really feel the effects of them, but they normally help me to dismiss feelings of anxiety more easily instead of getting latched onto it and dwelling on it! so fingers crossed they will help me with this!! and i think i will buy some evening primrose oil as i think thats is meant for balancing hormones!
    anyways hope you are still feeling well!
    take care,

Laura

Closed Thread