It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Mederma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
    GloryGurl
    (female)

GloryGurl HB User
    Re: Anyone Try Mederma for Scars?

Hi Everyone!!!!

I just wanted to say that i had an Anterior Cervical Diskectomy and fusion surgery and the scar is in the front of my neck. I started using the Mederma as soon as i was healed and you now can hardly even see the scar!!!!!
    Amazing!!!!

The Mederma is a bit expensive but a little goes a long ways and it rubs in quite nicely. It doesnt burn or itch. It seems to actually be quite gentle to the skin!

I would recommend it to anyone!
    Glory

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

My scar is three years old and I hear how mederma is great for newly acquired scars. How is it on old ones?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennifer_row
    I was wondering about that too, but I am afraid of putting it on my face.
    I doubt it will do anything harmful to your face. It just washes off and is a clear gel. The only suggestion I would have if you should have any fears is probably not use it while in the sun (it may, and that is may) cause a slight irritation.

The only problems I had with any irritation is when I put it on more times a day than what was suggested in the directions.

Last edited by fm5; 07-28-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belle2003
    My scar is three years old and I hear how mederma is great for newly acquired scars. How is it on old ones?
    My scar, believe it or not, is over 20 years old. I got it as a child while in an accident walking down stairs.

I hated it for years, mainly because it was right smack in the middle of my face, right on the bridge of my nose And it was a very deep scar. I felt embarrased all the time, and hated going out on dates where there was a bright light right above my face because it was especially noticeable then.

I went to a dermatologist years ago, who did a dermabrasion on it and that did very little. Another dermatologist looked at it and said that he couldn't do anything with it, and tod me that "some things are meant to be". A plastic surgeon said "to fix this scar I would have to create another one", etc. I tried everything - makeup, powders - you name it.

This stuff does work.

I have to say the following though about the product.

You have to really follow the directions. If it says to use 2-3 times a day, you have to do that.

You have to be patient with results. It took months for this scar to soften, I think mainly because it was old and it was a deep scar.

My best wishes to you all for beautiful skin.

Last edited by fm5; 08-02-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thanks FM for elaborating about the results you achieved from mederma. I went out and bought the curad strips, so if that does not work I will give mederma a try. I will know in 8 weeks! I am hoping that the curad strips will be as good as the mederma was for you.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Belle: I would have to say that from my own experience and from what I have read about the strips out there (those silicone sheets that are held down by adhesive or tape, etc.) is that, I believe, they work best on "raised scars" not so much on indented scars. I tried the strips on my scar, they did nothing.

The other thing I didn't like about them is that at the time I had to "tape" the small silicone sheet onto my skin. I found that by doing this over and over each day, it made my skin irritated. And if you go out into the sun with skin that has been irritated or scratched makes you more susceptible to the damaging sun.

Belle I am not sure if it was you, but did you mention that you had skin cancer?

If so, Belle, asked your dermatologist before using these products for a numers of reasons - they might make your skin sensitive to the sun, etc.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

Dear fm5:

Thank you for your reply. I bought the curad strips and I had to quit using them after two days. My scar is the same color as my regular skin (after laser treatments to lighten it) and the strips were turning my scar even lighter.(white) I wanted to smooth out the jagged edges (due to stitches from skin graft) and not lighten my scar even more.

So I think these strips are meant for someone whose scar is red and raised. I would be afraid that Mederma would also lighten my scar, making it even harder to cover up.

I will just have to live with the scar as it is.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Dear fm5:

Thank you for your reply. I bought the curad strips and I had to quit using them after two days. My scar is the same color as my regular skin (after laser treatments to lighten it) and the strips were turning my scar even lighter.(white) I wanted to smooth out the jagged edges (due to stitches from skin graft) and not lighten my scar even more.

So I think these strips are meant for someone whose scar is red and raised. I would be afraid that Mederma would also lighten my scar, making it even harder to cover up.

I will just have to live with the scar as it is.
    Belle:

Just a couple of questions:

Is your scar a raised one or is it indented?

Is it just the color of the scar that gives you trouble?

I know these silicone strips are expensive, and I found that the directions were not really very clear as to whether they worked on indented scars because the package I got just talked about keloid scars (raised bumpy scars). I just found that they didn't work on my indented scar. I found I spent a lot of money, and on top of that the constant putting on and pulling off the adhesive tape was really causing redness and irritating my skin. I thought to myself, this can't be good to go out into the sun with irritated red skin from tape being pulled off my skin. (I don't know if you still have to tape these things on anymore.) Anyway, because these sheets are quite expensive, try and get your money back on them if you weren't satisfied. I denfinitely should of.

Belle, is this scar from the skin cancer surgery or is it a scar from something else? I just thought you should just be just really careful as to what you use on your skin if you have had skin cancer (particulary that area). I mentioned in another thread, that my sister had melanoma, and, in fact, almost lost her nose to it (at the age of only 35). I have skin cancer on both sides of my family. So I am just one of those people who is really careful and deligent to watch things on my skin and what I use on my skin. It might be smart also to try some of the products in the winter time also (when you don't have the sun exposure so much). Again, Mederma instructions don't state to stay out of the sun, but it is just an extra precaution.

I highly doubt Mederma will turn your skin another color (whiter).

I know exactly what you are going through. I have really dealt with a lot of inconvenience and torment with this particular scar I have. Again, it was smack dab right in the middle of my face (on the bridge of my nose). It was not something I could easily hide, and it was noticeable. It was also a very deep narrow scar (something that could not be easily smoothed out). If it was wider it probably could be easily more smoothed out, but it isn't. If I had maintained with the dermabrasion treatments, I would probably have had to have gone gone about 5-7 times, and even then, I probably would still have a remaining scar. Again, the worst was, being with a date in a restaurant or in the sun with a light right above me. I was always very conscious of it, and, again, tried just about everything to smooth it out. I would say, though, Mederma seems to be the best product I have used on this so far.

Again, I have tried dermatologists, plastic surgeons, different makeups, "wrinkle filler" types of products, makeups made for scars (unfortunately they are usually made only for discolored scars not indented scars), dermabrasion, powders, silicone sheets - YOU NAME I TRIED IT! This stuff is probably the best stuff I have used so far.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

Hi FM:

The color of my scar is fine. It is alittle lighter than my normal skin. When I took off the strip on the second day, the scar was even lighter than before. So I quit using them.

The scar is indented. I had basal cell skin cancer on my nose. They did a skin graft, which was riped off when they took off the bandages. So the doctor said to let the wound heal on its own. The skin did grow to practically the level of my healthy skin, but I was left with rough edges around it along with holes from a week of stitches. It is that circle of rough edge/stitches holes that I would like to smooth out.

From a distance you do not notice the scar, but when you are up close (2 feet away) you can definitely see it on the side of my nose. It is about the size of a oblong dime.

I wore 45 spf sunscreen on my face daily for five years before I developed skin cancer twice on my face. I don't bother with it anymore. It only protects you from one kind of ray. I just stay out of the sun. I even read where the sun interacts with the sunscreen changing it to free radicals that cause you to develop skin cancer. I must say it makes you question whether sunscreen is worthless after wearing it daily for 5 years and then getting skin cancer twice in one year on my face.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
    fm5
    Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
    Hi FM:

The color of my scar is fine. It is alittle lighter than my normal skin. When I took off the strip on the second day, the scar was even lighter than before. So I quit using them.

The scar is indented. I had basal cell skin cancer on my nose. They did a skin graft, which was riped off when they took off the bandages. So the doctor said to let the wound heal on its own. The skin did grow to practically the level of my healthy skin, but I was left with rough edges around it along with holes from a week of stitches. It is that circle of rough edge/stitches holes that I would like to smooth out.

From a distance you do not notice the scar, but when you are up close (2 feet away) you can definitely see it on the side of my nose. It is about the size of a oblong dime.

I wore 45 spf sunscreen on my face daily for five years before I developed skin cancer twice on my face. I don't bother with it anymore. It only protects you from one kind of ray. I just stay out of the sun. I even read where the sun interacts with the sunscreen changing it to free radicals that cause you to develop skin cancer. I must say it makes you question whether sunscreen is worthless after wearing it daily for 5 years and then getting skin cancer twice in one year on my face.
    Belle: I totally understand where you are coming from.

One thing though is that I continue to use the sun screen. I figure it must work if scientists and chemists have tested this stuff over and over in the labs.

You are smart in staying out of the sun. My friend taught me a few years back (while walking) to always walk on the shaded side of the street which I still do. I also wear a wide brimmed hat.

I'm not sure if the sunscreen gave you the skin cancer. I have heard that many skin cancers are just from the accumulation of sun damage over many years.

Again, as far as the scar, I would just ask your doctor what he recommends. I would just be hesitant and very careful about what I would use on that area. I would also keep it out of the sun.

Last edited by fm5; 08-04-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Closed Thread