It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• LEEP procedure although biopsy was normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User
    Unhappy LEEP procedure although biopsy was normal

I got a moderate dysplasia pap smear so they did a colposcopy with biopsy. The biopsy came back normal so my OBGN said that I definately had precancerous cells, but she did not trust either test so she wants to do a LEEP procedure. I am very nervous about this. Do they put you out for this? Has anyone ever had results like this? They are calling it a surgery, I have to have preop testing and all, I have been reading on the web that they just numb the cervix so why so much rigamaroo?
    Scared and confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
    Blondie1974
    (female)

Blondie1974 HB User
    Re: LEEP procedure although biopsy was normal

My pap came back HGSIL, and I was scheduled for Colop and Leep. I went in for the colop and the biopsy confirmed the pap, HGSIL. However, the LEEP was already scheduled. I wondered if the colop had come back any different if I still needed the LEEP. I haven't had the LEEP yet, scheduled for Monday. No pre-op or anything. I've had to wait 6 weeks to get in for it, and they make it sound like no big deal. We'll see... But it's been so nerve-racking to have to wait this long to have it done.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I'm very confused. If your biopsy came back normal, then that would indicate that you do NOT have precancerous cells. I don't understand why they'd be recommending a LEEP if your biopsy came back normal. If I were you, I'd either clear that up with your doctor, or seek a second opinion. I would not agree to a LEEP if my biopsy came back normal.

However, don't be too concerned if you end up needing a LEEP. They call it a surgery but it's better thought of as a "procedure." The actual removal of tissue takes less than 30 seconds. Most people are awake for the procedure (the cervix is numbed) but anxious patients are put to sleep or sedated so that they are more comfortable and less likely to move. I had my LEEP awake. I hardly felt a thing.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User

Thanksso much for the feedback.
    I am getting a secod opinion next week. The doctor told me that the pap was grossly abnormal and she thinks she did not take the biopsies in the right area and that is why they came back normal with just inflamation and irritation. After reading this site I am less nervous about the LEEP.
    I have heavy lifting at work 40-100lbs. I read no lifting up to 4 weeks after the LEEP has anyone had lifting restrictions?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Correct, you aren't allowed to lift anything heavy for a week or two, to avoid bleeding.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User

Timber thanks for all your imput!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

mrscutie,

I was just reading this thread and wanted to let you know that sometimes the doc will proceed with a LEEP if he does not get correlation between the pap smear result and the biopsy. Especially if it is a high grade pap result. They prefer to be safe than sorry - the colposcope cannot accurately see in the endocervical canal, and there is conflicting information out there about the accuracy of the ECC. Definately talk to your doc to find out for sure exactly why he wants to proceed with an excision procedure. I hope everything goes okay for you

Karen

Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User

I had my second opinion and appt with the Dr. doing the LEEP today. She said that I only had to take it easy and not lift for 48 hours after the procedure then I was fine to do anything except have sex for 2 weeks and go swimming. Everyone's thread I have read says to take it easy for atleast 2 weeks. Now I am nervous that she is not having me do the right things. Has anyone had this? What did you do?

Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I guess 48 hours might be alright when it comes to lifting, but two weeks is NOT long enough to wait before having sex again. I mean, you're probably still going to have discharge and/or bleeding at two weeks which means that healing hasn't completed. You should wait a month before having intercourse or inserting anything.

Last edited by Timber; 08-07-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User
    Talking Re: LEEP procedure although biopsy was normal

Well, I had my LEEP procedure yesterday. It went well. I was under a sedative so I did not feel anything until I woke up. I mainly have cramps and feel kindof off. I go back to work tommorrow. The doc said she had to take less than she thought she would. I get the results in 2 weeks. This went better than I expected. All that worrying and it looks like things are looking up. I just wanted to thank everyone on this site. I was so nervous when I found out I had to have this procedure and now that I am just waiting for test results I feel better. I think that the biopsy will come back ok cause the surgeon said it did not look too bad. Thank you all.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
    ktbee
    (female)

ktbee HB User

Mrscutie,

I'm so glad all went smoothly and that you're in good spirits! Please keep us posted.

Katie

Old 08-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
    Charliesgirl
    (female)

Charliesgirl HB User
    Thumbs down Re: LEEP procedure although biopsy was normal

I read that a couple of you are scheduled for the LEEP procedure. I just wanted to share my experience. I was sedated and I felt totally fine after my procedure. I was told not to lift anything and the usual things they tell you after procedures. I went out to dinner and was feeling great. I went to bed but woke up around 4am in a pool of blood. I almost bled to death. My wonderful boyfriend Charlie rushed me to the ER. They gave me a blood transfusion and rushed me to surgery. They had to put a few stitches in, and I had to stay overnight in the hospital. I guess my point is to just be careful. I didn't do anything I wasn't suppose to do and I still had complications. I would just take it easy. I hope all goes well with everyone's LEEPs.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
    mrscutie
    (female)

mrscutie HB User

I got the results of the LEEP. It was moderate dysplasia. The doc said they got it all according to pathology. The cramps finally stopped after 3 weeks. So did the bleeding. Go back for pap in 6 months . Still have not gotten period. Does it come in the normal monthly time or does the LEEP mess up the whole cycle? Doc said it was ok to start trying to have kids as long as I felt ok.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
    tealdreams
    (female)

tealdreams HB User

that's great news that they got it all mrscutie! my LEEP did not mess up my monthly cycle, but i imagine that everyone could be different for this. any sort of stress on your body can create a change in your cycle.
    is it at all possible that you had your period and mistook it for LEEP recovery?

all the best!

Closed Thread