It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Effexor XR Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User
    Effexor XR Question

I have been on Effexor for about 7 weeks now, l started real slow, l have been on 150 mg for about 2 weeks and have just started to notice a difference, how long does it take for this stuff to work and will l have to bump up the dose to get the full affect, l dont feel 100% l would say l am about 60%, how do l get the extra 40 is it just time?

VAN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
    Ariom
    (female)

Ariom HB User
    Re: Effexor XR Question

Hi, Most doctors say anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks, but it can take longer. there alot of posts that can possibly help you find out more about Effexor on this site. I wish I had more information, because this drug didn't do anything for me, but make my situation worse. I don't and never have suffered from depression, Effexor enhanced my anxiety levels and brought on depression, my doctor took me off ASAP. I really hope it works for you, but if you read some other posts, you will see what I am talking about.

I am not a doc, so taking advice from me, would not be smart.. I didn't care for it, and would not recommend it, solely for the fact, you have been on it for quite some time, and it seems it is not doing it's thing. But that sometimes happens when you increase your dosage, seems like you have to start all over again on the time frame.

Good luck and hang in there, posting helps!

Ariom

Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

Ariom

What worked for you and your anxiety, what drug finally helped you?

VAN

Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi, it took me a while, and was eventually bumped up which is just the right amount for me.
    Mim

Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
    Ariom
    (female)

Ariom HB User

Hey Van, What worked for me? Well let's see after trying Celexa, Zoloft, paxil, Lexapro..non of those worked. they just made me depressed is all. As I mentioned before, I have no signs of depression. Mine was more panic attacks, and freaking out for nothing , like driving long distances, and being in huge crowds. My heart would just start pounding , felt like I was going to faint at any given moment. So back to the doctors, like I said it's all trial and error. my doctor finally just gave me Xanax and that seems to do the trick, when I need it. 1mg a dy, half in the morning and the other at night. I know it may not be for long term use..but been on it for 3 yrs and I am fine. I don't have FULL-BLOWN panic attacks anymore...I can do just about anything and live a normal life. by that I mean I don't let the panic/anxiety control me, I control it. Many people may tell you benzo's are no good and addictive, but what isn't?? SSRI's are the same. You become dependent on them as well. My mom for years was on Klonopin and many others, let me just say this, she ended up in the hospital. Seriously depressed. I don't think I ever remember being happy growing up. So what I am saying you are going to get some good feedback on Xanax or valium, and you are going to get negative feedback. I have noticed the majority of negative feedback I get from benzo's are people who can't get it from there doctors. Yeah they are addictive, but if something is going to work for me, and allow me to enjoy the things in life I have always done without thinking twice, why not? I AM GOING TO TAKE IT!

Hope this helps...remember..we are not all the same, different meds help different people. Good luck on finding the right med for you. keep posting and let me know.

Ariom

Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

I have tried benzos and they all made my anxiety work, l have talked with many people who sy that effexor saved there lives and they love it. Everybody l guess is different l just am having a tough time being patient, any others with thoughts about effexor or other drugs that have helped with anxiety?

VAN

Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
    lifesnotchess
    (female)

lifesnotchess HB User

For me it took about 3 weeks.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

When people say they noticed a difference after 3 weeks or 6 weeks or whatever the time what does that mean. Does it mean you started feeling better but still were suffereing or does it mean that you were better and able to move on with your life. I ask because l have noticed that l feel a little better but l am nowhere near better, so does that mean more time is needed or l need to up the drug or l need to find a new drug?

VAN

Old 08-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

I hate to be vague, but it can be any of the above. From my own experience, effexor is the only med that has subtantially helped with almost no lasting side effects, so changing drugs isn't my first choice option, even though I'm not where I want to be either. I may eventually raise the dose. In your case, you've been on the 150 mg only a short while, so if it is helping, I'd see how you feel in another couple of weeks or so before making changes.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

i used to take effexor xr years ago so i don't remember exactly how long it took to start working...
    i was on a REALLY high dose though, when i finally started weening off it several years ago...

the contribution i wanted to make was my experience regarding meds in general...
    i've never really felt a dramatic difference after taking any particular meds for my anxiety...
    (the list over the years has included wellbutrin, zoloft, paxil, effexor xr, and ativan)
    the way it usually felt for me was that i'd kind of notice that my anxiety / depression wasn't as bad as i remembered it being...
    much more subtle reaction but you kind of just realize that you're not necessarily feeling all better or all fixed, but that you're not feeling as bad as you once were...
    i think it's important to ask yourself if you're feeling better... enough so to no longer be non-functional, and if you're able to lead a healthier life now as a result...

another thing that i'm sure everyone and their brother will probably agree with is that meds always seem to work better in combination with some kind of therapy / counseling...

just my $0.02... :-)

Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 AM   #11
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

Exactly! 808 Lion describes precisely how I feel. Nothing dramatic, but I have a life now, where I didn't before, and I'm immensely grateful. I did have more dramatic quick results with anxiety on lexapro, but I was a complete zombie. See how far effexor will take you. Ask yourself the questions Lion poses, and remember, if you're feeling well enough, don't underestimate the capacity of your mind to mend itself further with the help perhaps of a good therapist.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

Thanks for your replies its much appreciated, so l saw my doctor today and he bumped my dose from 150 mg to 300 mg a day. He wants to see me back in 4 weeks, he also suggested that the effexor doesnt fix me we can try prozac, which l have tried once and got real bad nausea but he says the stuff really works good for most people, so l guess time will tell. Has anybody tried 300 mg or higher on effexor and if so what happened?

VAN

Old 08-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

towards the end when i was taking effexor, before i started weening off, i was on 650mg / day...
    i don't remember having any particularly bad side effects or anything, but everyone's different...

Old 08-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

It took about 6 months or so til I was bumped up, but I was also put on Klonopin at night to help with anxiety. The higher Efexxor dose plus the Klonopin make me actually feel like a relatively "normal" person 90% of the time. Hope this helps! PS (I was taking xanax as needed, but they felt the constant stream of klonopin was better since it stays in the system much longer.
    Mim

Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

So l bumped my dose up to 300 mg the past few days and l feel like l am going to die, l feel like l am going crazy, its almost like my anxiety has gotten worse, is this sapposed to happen?
    Do l need to just fight through this hopping that it will kick in and all go away or do l need to stop this stuff and try something else, if anybody has any thoughts it would be appreciated. Also if l need to stop what other anti-depressant drug works for anxiety?

VAN

Closed Thread