It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall........effectivness.....?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
    springray
    Inactive
    (female)

springray HB User
    Adderall........effectivness.....?

Hey there,addiers! Need some input from anyone who has/is taking Adderall/Adderall XR. What has been the lenghts of effectivness of Adderall and Adderall XR,what dose and how often ? Myself ,i haven't tried the XR version yet,but regular Adderall(Shire) 20 MG X 2 DAY does "poop out" right in about 2-3 hrs after each dose.Get tired and sleepy ......Don't want to increase the dosage even thou my doc told me to go ahead and adjust dose to needed mg.So,the question is,would the extended version last longer or else? Anyones input will be greatly appreciated !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
    gotitbad
    (female)

gotitbad HB User
    Re: Adderall........effectivness.....?

I have been taking the Adderall XR 25mg version for years and it really helps me! If I miss it one day I am exhausted and can't focus. I never tried regular Adderall, but have been on other ADD meds and they haven't worked nearly as well for me. It seems to last all day and I sleep from 10-6:30, although I'm on other meds too for Bipolar so I'm sure they are having an impact on my sleep as well. I hope that helps you.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
    springray
    Inactive
    (female)

springray HB User

Thanks,every bit of info helps! So,25 mg Xr lasts for you from 6 am to 10 pm? Wow! my regular Adderall poops out within 2-3 hrs from taking to point where i can easily go to sleep....weird....i guess i'll be trying XR when i see my doc in couple weeks

Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
    tonymc
    (male)

tonymc HB User

The length of effectiveness will depend on the individual. I capped out at about 4 to5 hours and was taking XR twice a day. I finally ended up going to regular Adderall. It's a 2 to 3 hours deal also and I hate the crashes. The XR did the same. I'm going to talk to the doc the end of the month for my monthly visit about the Daytron patch for ADHD. I'd love for it to work. Stick it on the hip and wear it for about 9 hours and not have to worry about remembering to take a pill.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
    EAB
    (male)

EAB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotitbad
    I have been taking the Adderall XR 25mg version for years and it really helps me! If I miss it one day I am exhausted and can't focus. I never tried regular Adderall, but have been on other ADD meds and they haven't worked nearly as well for me. It seems to last all day and I sleep from 10-6:30, although I'm on other meds too for Bipolar so I'm sure they are having an impact on my sleep as well. I hope that helps you.
    So you've never had to increase your dosage over the years?? and do you guys ever stopped taking it like on a weekend and catch up on some sleep since it seems to give you a crashing feeling when it wears off??

Old 08-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
    chance2jvav
    (female)

chance2jvav HB User

I don't have add, but my husband and son do. They are both on Adderol xr. My husband takes 30mg(recently increased) and my son takes 20mg. I can tell right away if one or either of them fail to or forget to take their med. (BTW they both take it in the morning). If they forget to take it, they are not people I like to be with. They do not crash or get tired, but cranky, nasty and sometimes mean.

Someone mentioned a patch (a couple of threads up). I tried to google it, but nothing came up with the name daytron. Does anyone know of this patch or the correct name?

Thanks for letting me join your conversation.

RSD 8/2005 - PRESENT

Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
    gotitbad
    (female)

gotitbad HB User

The name of the patch is Daytrana. You should be able to find info on it, I did. It is getting excellent reviews. It is like Ritalin, NOT Adderall though. By the way, I don't "crash" with the Adderall XR. I just feel tired and unfocused if I forget it one day, which almost never happens. I'm not sure why anyone would not chose the XR version since you just take it in the morning and don't have to worry about it. If it is making you "crash" too early you may be taking too low of a dose. Try increasing and see if that extends the time for you would be one suggestion.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
    angerfillsme
    (female)

angerfillsme HB User

Hi, I just read about that patch today. I get emails from ADDitude magazine-it's an...ADD magazine hehe anyways there's an article about it on there. Also like someone earlier said it does depend on the individual and other factors-diet/exercise, stess level. I'm a small person 26yr/f/98 lb. and I take both 7.5 mg and 10mg in varying times and increase when necessary. Ive been on all brands of adderall, generic and the brand name...personally brand name stays stronger for me...but as far as time the 7.5 lasts around 3ish hrs whereas the 10mg can last me about a good 5hr.

Closed Thread