It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Frustrated at doctors...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
    fatigued40
    (female)

fatigued40 HB User
    Frustrated at doctors...

I saw a P.A. today who told me my left sided pain was probably all in my head!! I'm so frustrated. My mother had familiar polyposis and stage IV cancer by the time she was 39, and died at 44. I've been extremely tired all the time, hurting in my side, and though it's not constipation... having trouble "getting it all out".... (sorry so graphic) my stools are also very small in diameter. when i explained my symptoms to my doctor she ordered a CT scan, and found something in my liver... which they are testing further... but my liver enzymes are ok. The pain in my left side hurts mainly around my bottom rib but can radiate toward the front and to the top of my left leg. I sometimes have problems walking, or get really sick with even fever and chills whenever I've "overdone it" which doesn't take much to do. My lymph nodes swell and are painful too. my doctor says its probably just muscle
    pain. I'm so tired of paying doctors alot of money and going through tests just to be told it's "nothing"... and all the while still hurting. My question is.... does blood work alone reveal cancer? I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks (had 1 in 2001... had some polyps at the time). I guess I just want to feel like it's even necessary.... am I putting myself through all this testing for nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User
    Re: Frustrated at doctors...

A CT scan would have ruled out most causes of left sided pain. As for the liver thing, I would read up on liver hemangioma's, which is a possibility and most frequently occur in middle aged women. You are the only advocate for your health, if you feel something is wrong, keep pressing till you find out. Blood work is usually used in conjunction with other tests to diagnose. Regardless, it is time for another colonoscopy! Your mother passed at a young age and colon cancer tends to run in some families. You should be having a colonoscopy every 3-5 years, maybe earlier depending on the previous colonoscopy findings. Good luck, keep us updated!

Old 08-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Dear Fatigued:
    Sometimes doctors and PA's JUST DON'T GET IT. With a family history of colorectal cancer, you DEFINITELY NEED A COLONOSCOPY. I'm glad that you at least walked away with an appointment in 2 weeks... this is not a bad wait at all! I'M SO PROUD THAT YOU DID NOT LET HIM/HER TALK YOU OUT OF WHAT YOU NEED. You definitely are doing the best thing... the ONLY TEST TO DEFINITIVELY RULE OUT COLORECTAL CANCER IS A COLONOSCOPY!!!

So Congratulations on getting the test scheduled!!! You are on your way to much needed answers! Please come back and let us know how the colonoscopy goes... remember the prep tends to be the most difficult part... Use plenty of diaper/hemorrhoid ointment. During the procedure, make sure to speak up if you experience ANY pain and he/she will give you more meds. As I already stated...PLEASE come back and let us know how it goes.

Congrats,
    CancerDad

Old 08-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
    bmccrea
    (female)

bmccrea HB User

I agree with CD, you definitely need to get the colonoscopy with your family history. An anal stricture can cause small narrow stools. My best friend had a pain in her side and went through multiple tests and the doctors didn't know what was causing it. A few years later a bulge popped out in the spot whre she had been having pain and it was a hernia.. Doctors don't know everything. I know you are anxious, but remember it can be a number of things causing the pain. As for the prep, don't eat much for a few days before the "cleaning out precess" and it will be much easier on you. If you have an anal stricture, like I did, request a pediatric size tube. It is about the size of a lady's pinkiy finger. Hang in there. The two weeks will go by fast. Keep in touch with us. TAke care,
    B.A.Mc.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
    fatigued40
    (female)

fatigued40 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm getting depressed from not being able to find out what's wrong.... and I'm also very nervous about the colonoscopy. I've had one before, but am anxious about this one. I'm just so exhausted all the time, and want to "know" why. I'm so glad to have found this message board, its encouraging to know others understand.

Closed Thread