It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Really strange feelings :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #16
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User
    Re: Really strange feelings :(

Hello there...
    Wow, that really sounded like a terrible night you had. It figures just when you are looking forward to having a good night, and the health ruins it. It happens to me too. I frequently take ibuprofin or advil when I am drinking b/c I know I am going to get a headache from the alcohol, when I am feeling badly. This never bothers me.....aside from the damage I am doing to my liver, as the warnings on the label indicate that you should not have more than 3 alcoholic beverages with it. So I can only imagine what my liver will look like, if this keeps up.
    Anyway, do you think it was panic, or an actual physical effect of the combination of the tablets with the drinks?

I do know exactly what you mean when you say that if feel the symptom coming on and don't panic, it usually goes away. Yes that is what I experience also. I think I get so fixated that I can physically make myself sick. I know I dont imagine the thing in my head, because I made my sister feel it and she felt the bump, but as strange as it sounds when I played with the bump or even thought about it, it got bigger. It felt like the air pressure you described. I could press and feel like I wasnt pressing on my own head. Like there was something between my actual skull and hair...but almost numb.
    Well I am glad that you are glad that you weren't pregnant. Hormones, the patch, can do some weird things to your period once you go off it. The hormonal theory can never be ruled out for me either especially with the irregularites....which also makes me wonder if I have a pituitary tumor, (which would affect the menstrual cycle).
    You are lucky you have a bf that can look after you and try to talk you down, especially during a panic like you had. I live alone and sometimes can get really stuck here in my own neurosis (mental anquish), thinking I have every disease in the book.

I am still feeling good. Took a couple of Advil today though, slight headache, since the temperature reached 100 + today. The bump continues to be down, still some mild pressure and numbness, slight protrusion, but nothing compared to last week, when I was really bad. The antibiotics have cleared up my sinuses, and I can breathe again, and the bump is almost gone!! Thank god.
    I don't know.......The past two days, I haven't felt panicky at all, and have few symptoms compared to last week when I was convinced that I had meningitis, or a tumor, or another cyst in my sinus.
    What I would like to know, is my next panic going to be a result of a medical condition that comes about, or is my panic going to make me come out with a new condition? This is what I would like to know.....I think I need to get on an antidepressant. The xanax helps situationally, (fast acting, and short term), but I think something like Paxil helps with OCD and depression, and may help curb my constant thoughts of health and ailments. What do you think? How are you feeling now?

Last edited by filenia; 08-02-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hey

Urgh im feeling crap again today I have been feeling the weird feelings in my head again today but they were manageable but then JUST before i left work i kept getting a niggling feeling in the top of my scalp again and i just had to touch it and then sure again that set off the horrible feeling as if its going right into my head and i dunno its really strange its as if somehow it makes a fluid or mucous in my throat which makes me convince myself that my brain is leaking which makes me freak out, i mean i dunno what can cause this feeling at all!! unless its something like i can actually feel something in my throat and then i touch my head and im then associating it with being involved with my head (if that makes any sense!) cos sometimes i can touch my scalp fine no problems whatsoever but then sometimes i get weird feelings as if its somehow connected to my mouth! and qwhen i initially first get the feeling i try and get rid of it by drinking/eating or however but then that just seems to make me worse cos im thinking is that fluid in my mouth from what i just drink or has that caused some post nasal drip or something!
    ARGHH im sick of it i managed to get by pokay the last two days and then its like i feel like i go back to step one again!! i am constantly kicking myself for doing things like now im okay i had a wierd tingling in my scalp but if i hadnt actually touched it then i wouldnt of freaked out so much cos i probably wouldnt of made a connected between my head and my mouth! i dunno its like the places where i get the weird feelings seem to be along where the cracks in the skull are but im sure they are meant to be fused up but i keep convincing myself maybe they arent fused fully and there aare some nerves going through which are going to my mouth nerves, i dunno! i just cant stop thinking about it and analysing it and thinking what it could be and freaking out over it but this is just making the whole thing SUCH a bigger issue!
    I was panicky again in work today and everyone is none stop telling me i look tired and pale, maybe i should just go to the doctors and tell him i have been dealing with chronic anxiety and stress and its making me hypochonriac and panicky and see if he can give me some medication to make me calm down!
    its like im living out my entire life in my head and becuase im constantly aware of my head it just feels so heavy and achey all the time!!
    i think i will go and have a hot bath or shower and relax (as long as i can get rid of the horrible feeling!!) *sigh*

Hope you're good?

Laura

Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hi laura,
    Just checking in, and seeing how you are doing. Sounds like me....the same! I took myself off the antibiotics after 7 days, since I was getting a yeast infection from them. I felt better. Headaches were less and the bump was going down, and guess what, now I am feeling it again. Not like before but just slightly when I press on my scalp. I can also relate to the weird feelings in your mouth, when you press on your scalp. Got em.

I was laughing when I read your "cracks in the brain" and how they should be fused together...and that's exactly where I get my bump, on the front crack. Are they fused together? You are too funny!! (without trying to be), you and I are so much alike. Cruising the web and finding illnesses.
    I know what you mean about going to the doctor...to treat my OCD...or would I just be masking a serious illness and passing it off as panic/anxiety????? Ahhh, and the daily battle continues.

No headache today, with a marginal bump and very tired.
    Hope you are having a good day!
    Filenia

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #19
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hey,
    (warning this is loooooong!! )
    Im having a much better today than yesterday! Yak I was soo bad with anxiety yesterday i just completely exhausted myself stressing about what could be wrong with me!!
    I cant believe how similar our symptoms are AND we both suffer from anxiety/ocd... it would point out that maybe the anxiety is causing (or contributing to) the weird feelings!! I get soo angry with myself for ever looking through the internet for hours trying to find things as that just seems to fuel my imagination so thats one thing im going to try to STOP doing!!
    But I do think you may be right about it being a sinus related thing... i spoke to a few people in work about it yesterday, one of the managers asked if it could be something im eating thats making me feel so crappy, and she asked what i ate the day before and i was like ummm some toast... and she was like ooh no wonder you feel like this today then!! then she said and i bet you ate crisps this morning to make up for it right cos you felt tired?? and i was like yip !! she said (just like the nurses did) you need to make sure that you are eating properly, and not just snacking throughout the day as that will give you a rush but then it makes you feel really crap afterwards (which can make anxiety worse as well!!)
    but with regards to the headaches and weird feelings i really do think it might be a sinus problem too, as i seem to be getting like a post-nasal drip which is really uncomfortable and makes me feel anxious cos im wondering what it is!! and the manager i spoke to said she noticed i was like touching my face a lot lately and i do cos it feels weird sometimes like inside my nose feels tingly (like i have mentioned earlier!! she said that they can cause headaches and scalp discomfort too and it does seem like i only get the weird feelings in my scalp and head when i am either getting this weird post nasal drip feeling (or any other strange fuzzy/tingly feeling in my face, nose or mouth) or when im totally fixating on it and feeling really anxious over it!!

If the anti biotics for you made you feel so much better then think i need to go get some too!! but if they made you feel better and then when you came off them it came back it seems reassuring that it is just a sinus infection which just isnt fully cleared yet! did you get a weird post nasal drip feeling too?
    i know what you mean though about anti biotics causing yeast infections... but then id rather deal with that and have the horrible feeling go away for good!! I think the same as you though... like is it something really serious and im just passing it off as anxiety?!?! but talking to other people about how i feel really helps as none of them seem to think its anything serious, and the fact that anxiety makes the feelings so much worse and when my anxiety is low then i feel so much better!
    Like yesterday was so bad because i had this non stop post nasal drip which was making me panicky thinking whats going on my head is leaking ARGHH panic!! so i drank water like non stop all day to try and get rid of the feeling of it... i was drinking fruit juice and fanta in the morning but then i had a starbucks plastic cup which i kept filling with water and must of drank one cup full of water every hour (i was sipping it slowly but like quite consistently)
    and anyways when i got home i then convinced myself i had drunk too much and problably had water intoxication and got into a huge panic over it (and looked on the net AGAIN) and i read up about it and it said that you have to drink a lot of water really quickly and lose a lot of salt to get it and that human kidneys can process like a really large amount of water per day but i was convincing myself that i had drunk too much too quickly and was thinking those starbucks cups must be at least about a litre and thats a lot to drink etc etc etc anyways i filled a regular 500ml bottle with water and poured it into the SB cup and it filled it up so i was actually only drinking 500ml of water an hour and in a hot and stuffy environment and it works out that i drank probably about 8 of those in 8 hours which okay is still 4 litres but i think i was overreacting a little bit :S

So today is fresh start day! from now on im going to try my best to have three regular meals with no snacks instead of meals, which i tend to do a lot in work as we have a snack machine and a starbucks and its just too convenient to spend all my money in them!! only allow myself to have occasional snacks after meals and preferably more healthy ones!! and im gonna try and settle into a good regular sleeping routine and set aside time each week to do some excersize (we have a cycling machine in the garage so i can just use that) and im gonna try and do some abdominal breathing and relaxation excersize things too!! all of these things have been recommended to me by people in work and the nurses and my anxiety workbook also says to do all these things to combat anxiety!
    As for the rest im also gonna go get my eyes tested and go see a doctor to see if i have sinus problems and hopefully if it is that he can give me some anti biotics and make it go away!! or if he thinks it could be something else like a hormonal thing or low blood sugar like the nurses said. and also i think it will be good to let him know about my anxiety/ocd/panicky feelings and how bad it can be sometimes, i think it will help to chat to a doctor about that too, but quite hard too i suppose, he might give me medication for a bit to help with it i dunno!!

Anyways this has been a huuuge essay of a reply!! (sorry!) I hope you are still feeling a lot better! How is the weather over there for you now? Its gone a lot cooler here, still warm and a little stuffy but nowhere near as hot and sticky as it was!! Im almost kind of looking forward to the autumn (or fall!!) just for the cooler weather and fresher air!! But then i'll miss the sun and light evenings... ahh cant win!!
    Take it easy!!

Laura

Old 08-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hello there in the UK..

Sorry I haven't checked in sooner, but this is the only possible chance I have had to log on.

Your post was sooo funny. It is so refreshing to know that we are in the same boat. Imagine how many others there are out there, that are just like us?? Scary
    Anyway I had a bad day today. The bump was pressure today, not really a bump but just pressure. I did have post nasal drip when I was on the antibiotics too, not bad though. I was more stuffed up than anything. My day started off bad this morning with washing my hair and the pressurized feeling in the head. You know the drill.

I was laughing so hard when you mentioned that your co-worker sometimes see's you touching your face at work. Too funny. Thats me too, in my own little world sometimes, or even just hanging out with a group of friends, I sometimes just drift into my own little thoughts and start to worry.

Your ideas about eating healthier and more balanced meals are a good idea. I try to do that too, as well as exercise, but the sleep department is definately lacking Gotta do more of that too. I feel good when I exercise, but for about in three weeks in July I was unable to do even do that due to the heat. Oh yeah, I take a daily vitamin when I remember too.

The weather has been better here too. It got a lot cooler about a week ago, and that seems to help a bit with the crappy feelings I get with the heat.

You mentioned blood pressure also in your post, my pulse/pressure are always slightly elevated. Anxiety?........or pressure from aneurism (sp) or tumor pressing on a major atery? Another concern!

So I am with you on the getting healthier deal....I need to quit smoking. Thats a real issue. That could be the reason I feel crappy. I know how bad for me it is, and all the health related risks, and here I am worrying about my heath. Go figure!! Well the difficulty with quitting smoking is...... I have so much health related anxiety and then the more anxious I get, the more I smoke. I usually don't smoke alot, but rather in waves. Some days I smoke a lot more than others.

Anyway It is always a pleasure to read your emails, and know that my friend in the UK can relate, when no one else around me can...

Well I just came home from a day trip to New York and am very tired...I just thought I would check in with you and let you how very much I can relate to your thoughts/feelings. I can't wait to go back to work (the school) so that I can stop "thinking"!!!!

Hope you are well!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Helloooo!

sorry I haven't replied in a while I have just been SO busy with work and everything!! I'm exhausted!! And on top of that I have a load of work to do for uni which needs to be presented next Friday and i'm just not getting anything done cos no time!! Ahhhhhh *sigh* lol

How are you feeling lately? I have been a bit on and off really, but the pain in my head isn't there as much anymore but the pain around my eyes and in my face came back worse than before! I went to get my eyes tested the other day and the optician said my vision is perfect and no way do I need glasses. So its looking like it possibly could be sinus problems! I was gonna go get some Sudafed from the chemist but I felt so much better today that I just left it! I seem to be having more 'good days' and 'bad days' rather than consistently 'bad days' where I just end up feeling like a nervous wreck over all these different feelings. The more I think about it it really does seem down to anxiety and sometimes I notice that I will feel something as soon as I start thinking about it so I suppose I gotta work on that too- i am trying!!
    I know what you mean when you say when you ger back to work you can stop 'thinking' it's like the more you let your mind wander... I am trying to stop the cycle as soon as i start feeling a bit anxious over some symptom or feeling... i read somewhere to shout STOP or something when you start feeling a bit panicky, (obviously only if you're alone!! lol) so i tried that once and it did work but mainly cos i felt like such an idiot it just made me laugh!!
    As soon as I can I want a week off work to just CHILL and not have to think of the million zillion things I have to do in very little time!!
    I would definitely say that smoking probably doesnt help mch as I think that can be a stimulant of anxiety (well thats what my anxiety workbook says anyways!!) I tend to eat and drink more when i'm feeling anxious, its kind of my way of blocking the feelings in my head/mouth when i get them. but it doesnt really help that much and its not the answer at all :-s And i have put weight on now so thats just making me feel worse, i wanna get feeling fit and energetic again!!
    anyway I hope you are feeling good!

Take care,

Laura

Old 08-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #22
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hello...
    Well I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. I have been feeling crappy lately. I have the pressure feeling back again, and of course it has been rainy and damp. I have pressure behind my eye and the head feels tender. I can feel the pressure behind my eye move, which is freaky. It makes me really nervous. I have been taking my allergy medication which also has a decongestant in it, it seems to pacify the symptoms but does not get rid of them.
    Last night I had no energy to go out....friends were calling and I was on the couch, in a state of anxiety. After taking the allergy pill I could feel the pressure moving and I could also feel/hear clicking in my nose. I would imagine that is the pill working on the congestion. I am miserable this week. I don't know what else to do. I am scared to go get a cat scan for fear that they will tell me that I need to have sinus surgery again, but I am thinking that is where I am going to end up.
    I can't wait to go back to work on Tuesday and focus my energy on other things rather than obssessing over my health. God!!
    Anyway I am off to a birthday party. The weather is clearing up and the pressure is someone lifted....strange huh?
    Take care.....Here's to you with continued good health...

Old 08-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hiya,

that sucks that you have been feeling crap again, its weird though that you say you are getting a pressure feeling behind your eye as that is where my latest worry is placed, like it feels like the muscles around my eyes are really tender and sensitive, but im sure this is tiredness/anxiety. Or maybe sinus problems but again its gotten better recently.

Yeah i konw that clicking in the nose-im sure that is something to do with mucus is the nose or something, i tend to get that if i have had a cold and a really stuffy nose. I have been sneezing a lot lately which is weird but prob from dust in work. Today is the best day I have had in a long time in terms of feeling okay and not getting really anxious. I am trying my best to work on not fixating upon an anxiety, and trying to get rid of it asap. I also woke up late this morning so rushed out without having the opportunity to start to get anxious over things, and the day was so busy i had loads to take my mind off things. Fingers crossed i can keep it up!! Hopefully you will feel better back at work tomorrow too! It does help so much to take your mind off things and not let your mind wander off and fixate on things.
    I'm off tomorrow but have loads to do still- which is probably a blessing in disguise!! I hope the week imporoves for you,

Take care,

Laura

Old 09-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #24
    Dannyboy777
    (male)

Dannyboy777 HB User

Hi there

I have been trawling the net for ages looking for an explanation of this weird sensation and this is the first time I've actually seen somebody talk about it. I find it quite debilitating and was concerned something serious may be wrong with me until I realised that it can go away for periods of time and increase when I'm under pressure. I'm thinking it's an anxiety thing but that doesn't make it any more comfortable. I don't know if it's related to the weather though as I live in Australia and would be in the opposite weather to you both if you are in the US. I don't have the mouth sensations that you are talking about but I definately have the weird feelings on my scalp and a sensation akin to swirling a snowdome or something for want of a better description.
    I have been trying out positive affirmations and am having a little bit of success but it is absolutely awful and I feel as though it is really holding me back from what I would like to do.
    I'd be interested in talking about it more on this board if that's okay with you both.
    Cheers
    Dan

Old 09-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hey Danny Boy and Laura,

Well looks like we have another one with us Laura.
    Interesting little symptoms huh? Danny I am curious about you, and your symptoms.
    You say you have the sensations, but do you have the pressure feeling. My post's obviously tell you what my symptoms are. They definately vary, and sometime are affected by the damp rainy weather. I don't know what is wrong with me. Some days I feel fine, and other's are miserable. I usually don't get a headache, but when I drink alcohol It seems to cause me headaches. I feel that mine are sinus related as I can usually feel the sensations in my head, and my nose area.
    What are you symptoms?

Laura I am glad that you have been feeling better. I found that going back to work helped a little to take my thoughts of health off of my mind, but of course when I get back home....it usually comes back. (the thoughts)....ugh.
    Danny, you should know we (Laura and I ) have some anxiety and or panic issues as well.
    Filenia

Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #26
    Dannyboy777
    (male)

Dannyboy777 HB User

Hi again

Thanks for your reply. I do get a sensation of pressure under my scalp as well as a vibrational wave feeling. Behaviourally this makes me feel like I will pass out at times but realistically this never happens (or hasn't happened yet) This sensation can be on the top of my head or the sides, all over, around an eye/forehead or change position as it pleases. Sometimes it feels as though my head is being squeezed in a vice which is usually a symptom of tension headaches but this one feels like it's on steriods or something lol
    I got the impression from the previous posts that both of you had anxiety / panic. I did have a problem with panic attacks a few years ago. I did CBT and managed to break free of the cycle for a while but I've been under a bit of stress and have found that they have been rearing their ugly head again. Before I started to get panic attacks I remember feeling like my throat was consistantly constricting. This went on for months even though I had been to an ear nose and throat specialist and they told me nothing was wrong. After a couple of months I started to get panic attacks. Funily enough the sensation stopped but the panic didn't. I'm sensing that this head thing is a red flag for me as it is indicating I'm not managing my stress levels. I don't however want it to turn into full blown panic so I'm doing my best. I think anyone who had these sensations would panic it seems so natural to do so but I guess that's feeding the cycle eh? I've began to realise that panic is not something that goes away for ever but a condition that needs to be managed. I'm telling myself not to worry about it being something horrible because I had a head CT 8 months ago and it was clear and I know of several people who had brain bleeds etc and they were struck down pretty fast it wasn't something that went on and on. Damn anxiety!
    Oh by the way I'm 28 - are you both a similar age?
    Dan

Old 09-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #27
    smily24
    (female)

smily24 HB User

Hi,I get the same feelings as you but and I also have anxiety.And I also have panic attacks.It's so bad that it wakes me up out of my sleep,I wake up and my heart is beating a thousand times a minuete.I get the pressure on the left side of my head.Feels like something is trapped in the inside of my skull.Only thing that I can suggest is that you not think about it.I sometimes just relax and try hard not to stress.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #28
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

Hi guys!

Sorry I haven't replied yet I have been pretty busy with work and a uni deadline to meet!! Hi Dan and Smiley, it does seem that there are a lot more people with these weird sensations that I thought! And everyone suffers with anxiety too- surely this must play a big factor in things then??
    One thing I have noticed lately that makes me head feel really horrible like as if things are moving around inside of it and makes me feel kinda dizzy and light headed is if I eat too many mints/chewing gum etc which are all sugar free- so im sure something in sugar free foods and drinks, such as aspartame, gives me this weird sensation in my head.
    Dan- i'm not from America im from the UK, the weather here over the summer was REALLY hot and thats when the feeling of pressure was worse, now it is starting to get cooler as we come into winter.
    And i'm 24 so similar age yeah. I think anxiety seems more common in younger people as well- pressures of living in 21st century!

For a while I was feeling much much better and I managed to take my mind of the worrying about my head and it pretty much went away, although the anxiety still managed to manifest itself in other things such as sore throats, sore eyes etc, but lately I have been worrying again and so it has started to come back again!

What are the strange sensations in your scalp like? does it sometimes feel as if you touch your scalp and you can feel like a weird feeling goes right into your head? Thats what mine often feels like its horrible!

filenia- i'm glad work is helping you keep your mind of things too! It definitely helps!!

Anyway i gotta dash as I have food in the oven!!

Take care

Laura

Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #29
    filenia
    (female)

filenia HB User

Hi all,
    Well the weather is cooling off today and of course I felt good. I had a couple of bad days which is why I haven't been online "checking" things out. Just a feeling of being wiped out and pressure on the brain since we just got over a bout of rain. I think cool weather also helps "cool" my brain and body tempurature and seems to be making me feel better. Less pressure in the head, maybe my blood pressure even lowers and doesnt give me the head pressure. That might even be a little to whacky for you all to understand...but maybe you'll get it. Maybe our anxiety plays a part in blood pressure, thus resulting in constriction in the vessels in the head....hmmm. I may be onto something.
    Well as you can see, I am making little progress with my anxiety, but I did have a healthy feeling day. Work is definately helping.
    I think Danny boy mentioned something about the sensations and pressure increasing when he is stressed...I definately agree with that....hence the blood pressure theory.
    I
    hope all is well with everyone....
    "NO PRESSURE! My new logo.
    F~

Last edited by filenia; 09-07-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
    brainchild
    Inactive
    (female)

brainchild HB User

I like it!

I'll try to keep that in mind!!

Hope everyone's okay

x L

Closed Thread