It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• 7 yr old daughter daydreaming

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
    justme1issa
    (female)

justme1issa HB User
    Question 7 yr old daughter daydreaming

I got an email today from my daughter's 2nd grade teacher saying my daughter is daydreaming a lot in class and she has to stay on top of her to keep her focused on her work.

I've noticed I have same problems with her at home with her homework and often have to continually remind her to keep working.

ADD???

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: 7 yr old daughter daydreaming

Hmmm... What's going on in your daughter's life that could have her distracted?

Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
    justme1issa
    (female)

justme1issa HB User

There is nothing new going on. I should also add that her father was diagnoised with ADD about two years ago.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

I read once that George Lucas's teacher said he was always daydreaming in class. Probably a symptom of a creative mind!

Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
    sundaygirl

sundaygirl HB User

I wish my son could concentrate enough in class to do some work. he has to have a teacher sitting over him all the time.
    give her time please
    sunday

Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
    Heavnlyhart2
    Inactive
    (female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

I use to daydream in school and I don't have any problems I just think alot!
    I do have a creative mind. Teachers that teach our children today lack one teaching skill, each child learns differently whether it be visiual, hands on etc. In my opinion I am not no doctor but I study people alot just something I have done most of my life, well anyways need to catch her interest cause when I am bored with something I tend to daydream more or less try to make it fun. Todays world is becoming a hum-drum world where no one wants to take the time to do anything anymore try different ways to spark her interests even if you have to help her but don't do it for her. As for chores etc it seems like every child doesn't want to do them hardly but parents need to be more consistent with the rules because they are giving in to easily to there children so they tend to be more defiant therefore the problem is don't give in to them even if they throw a temper tantrum send them to there room if they don't go then leave the room yourself cause if you don't you give in to them and they know it!

Last edited by Heavnlyhart2; 09-08-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
    sad song
    (female)

sad song HB User

well, she's SEVEN. ???

Old 10-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Good point, sadsong. Imagine that, a 7 year old that daydreams...what's next, a child who wants a puppy?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
    gloriamomof5
    (female)

gloriamomof5 HB User

my daughter is 10 and is having same problems at school and home im actually trying to get her tested her brother has adhd so she will probaly also have something it runs in family.they say if it runs in the family the greater chance you got of getting it.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
    FL-Mom
    (female)

FL-Mom HB User

Just make sure that it is just daydreaming. My son when he was younger was zoning out which they thought he was daydreaming. Problem was he was having small seizures. They did not get more pronounced until he hit puberty when he had to start anti seizure drugs because he was leading himself up to a Grand Mal from the difference with his hormones.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
    Diet Dew
    (female)

Diet Dew HB User

I too would be careful with writing off the "daydreaming". Seizures and children that get labeled as slackers and trouble makers can have a lifelong effect on our children. My daughter was a "daydreamer" and sometimes still is. She couldn't stay on track and had a horrible time learning to read until the end of 2nd grade she had a wonderful teacher who was patient, understanding and aware enough to suggest to me that it could possibly be ADD. She isn't hyper, but does have a hard time still as a 10th grader. She got on ADD meds and took off with reading. She does have eye problems from birth that make reading small type and reading just for fun hard, but she keps a 3.0 or higher. She just has to be reminded that she IS different, but not dumb and the meds help her. They have been wonderful for her. Not every child is the same. We went to the docs and between me and her teacher and the doc we came to the conclusion that she might benefit from ADD meds.
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck

Old 10-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Just to note, my brother in law got my nephew some tutoring and he really took off in reading too. Sometimes meds are not necessarily the only way.

Closed Thread