It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Test results for biopsy- CIN1- need advice!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
    wishing_well
    (female)

wishing_well HB User
    Test results for biopsy- CIN1- need advice!!

I got my results today after my colp/biopsy. The doctor says It showed CIN1, but he does not want to do anything. He wants to do a repeat paps in 6 MONTHS. does this sound normal? What is the actual definition of CIN1. Is it the same as LGSIL? I am so confused and worried that I should get it taken care of. I am a smoker and scared that it will progress. I have made a promise to myself and my family that I will quit smoking. I had my last cig. today. No more! I just need help with all these confusing terms. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! I AM SOOOOOOOOO SCARED!!!! Please help me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
    ktbee
    (female)

ktbee HB User
    Re: Test results for biopsy- CIN1- need advice!!

Hi wishing-well,

I know this can be so confusing and scary...

CIN1 is the same as LGSIL. Doctors usually choose to monitor a case of CIN1 rather than treat it because, often, it will reverse itself and get back to normal. So, I have to say that what your doctor is choosing to do is normal.

You're doing a good thing by quitting the smoking...smoking is a risk factor for the development of dysplasia.

I know that 6 months may seem like a long time, but hopefully the wait will be worth it if your next pap results come back normal!

Take care,
    Katie

Old 09-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
    karen32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

karen32 HB User

Hi wishingwell,

Yes, CIN 1 = LGSIL = mild dysplasia. It is common to NOT treat this as it has a higher likelihood of resolving on it's own. The guidelines that I have read usually recommend re-pap every six months and if it has not resolved in 18months to consider treating with LEEP or cryo or whatever the doctor feels is best. I do believe that if you have concerns about this, you should voice them to your doctor and see if he/she can give you the reassurance you need. If it does start to progress, it should be caught with the next pap smear. What was your original pap read as?

Good for you for quitting smoking! I kicked the habit it will be six years on December 16. it was hard at first, but it did get easier as time went on. I have lately had cravings, but I know I would get violently ill if I had one now so that is enough to keep me away. Funny, the queasy tummy and head rush is one thing that I can still remember quite well...

Gotta run, my son just ran outside without any pants on...

Karen

Old 09-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
    wishing_well
    (female)

wishing_well HB User

Thank you so much Ktbee and Karen for your responses. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Just a little history on my issue:

September of last year my paps showed LGSIL. I got a colpo/biopsy and it came back as inflammation to the cervix. My doctor treated me and gave me a repeat paps 6 months later. The paps came back normal. I had another paps 6 months after that (AUGUST 06). The result came back as LGSIL again. I had a colpo/biopsy and came back CIN1( which I guess just confirmed the paps).

I spoke with a few people that have used my doctor and they say that I have a very good doctor. He is conservative. He knows that i want to have children. He told me when I went for the colpo. that I can start to get pregnant if I want. Is this wise?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
    Blondie1974
    (female)

Blondie1974 HB User

hello wishing well-

from what i've read, giving birth can actually help your body shed these abnormal cells and encourage healthy cell regrowth. Particularly with low grade abnormalities.
    Everything your doctor is telling you is in line with all the research that i have done.
    Good luck!
    Jen

Old 09-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
    wishing_well
    (female)

wishing_well HB User

Thanks blondie- You have made my husband sooooo happy. he has been wanting a baby from me for a long time. I was afraid that with my diognosis, I could not have any kids. I did not think that I would be getting pregnant this soon, but I guess now is the best time to do so. A little afraid of the labor pains, but I guess I will have to get over my fears!

Closed Thread