It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Reverse Osteoporosis Naturally

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User
    Reverse Osteoporosis Naturally

I heard from my doctor via the telephone about a month ago that i had osteoporosis. A -3 in the spine. I go back to see dr. this month. Do not want to take available meds, scared of side effects. Do not like meds. Have been walking 4-5 miles daily. Exercising using Diane Daniels book "Exercises for Osteo" and "Strong woman Strong Bones" by Miriam Nelson. Dont know if I should be doing the exercises or not. My back does bother me a little. Dont know what it is. Will maybe get an ex-ray. Been taking vit D and calcium and magnesium, and boron. Considering progesterone cream. Eating more leafy green vegs, tofu and soy milk with isoflavones. Is there anyone else who is persueing a natural approach, and is there anyone who has been able to maintain bone mass or slow the osteo process naturally?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User
    Re: Reverse Osteoporosis Naturally

Hi - I also have osteoporosis and my first bone density test showed a -3.5
    which they said was "severe osteoposis". I started taking Fosamax almost 10 years ago, and the doctor who read the bone density test last October wrote that my bone density had improved 7% since my first test.
    I know how you feel about taking medicine, but when you have osteoporosis, the only way to try to improve your density is by taking the alendrate (sp) or one of the other drugs (forteo). Why are you so set against taking the pills? I also take calcium citrate daily and also take Evista.
    My back also hurt, but that's not why I decided to have a bone density test.
    I was in the hospital for another reason, and I asked to have my medical records sent to me. On them, it said that my bones were de-mineralized. I would never have known this. My mother had had osteoporosis, but I didn't realize that it can be genetic! That was before all the articles appeared about the importance of testing for osteoporosis. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but that is what I decided to do about mine.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking Re: Reverse Osteoporosis Naturally

Fosamax acts as an inhibitor of bone resorbtion, so what you have is a lot of old bone, which on a DEXA test may look just dandy but will not stop you breaking your bones should you fall. Also, there is the danger of jaw necrosis.

In addition to at least 1000 mg of magnesium, at least 1000 units of vitamin D, and some other trace minerals (vit. K, boron, copper), one should of course take calcium. But not from a dairy product source -- dairy sources also contain growth factors, antibiotics, pesticides, you name it.

There is a vibration treatment, the Juvent 1000, but since it costs a fortune (about $3000, I think), it's not for me . There are cheaper vibration treatments (around $375), but they are somewhat dangerous. (They're the equivalent of leaping off a fridge for 10 minutes -- you damage your joints and organs.)

I've done it all -- taken fosamax, actonel, IV biphosphonates (b/c my digestive system could not tolerate the pills), and now I'm off and going to a naturopath. I completely agree with TomatoJuice -- I decided to go the natural route. In addition to heartburn, acid reflux, and other digestive disorders, fosamax and other biphosphonates are relatively useless. Best you spend your money on a naturopath, take calcium boosters and whatever else your ND tells you to, and wait for the price of the Juvent (or whatever they call it in the US) to come down.

And don't forget weight-bearing exercise -- that's the most important thing of all.

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jinglebts; 09-22-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: mispelled ...

Old 09-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
    Lavinia2
    (female)

Lavinia2 HB User
    Re: Reverse Osteoporosis Naturally

Please read the posts/conversation under "acidic foods vs alkaline." A few of us discussed what can be done nutritionally to combat osteo... My advice is to not take any medical advice given by any one person. Immerse yourself in research. Look at it from as many different angles as possible.

Lavinia

Closed Thread