It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Pre and post workout meals for cardio and weights

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2002, 07:34 AM   #1
    someguyinhis20s

someguyinhis20s HB User
    Post Pre and post workout meals for cardio and weights

I have several questions concerning meals before and after cardio and weight training. Right now I do cardio in the morning and weights in the evening. I do both on an empty stomach. After the cardio, I shower, get ready for work, and then eat breafast, which is at least 30 minutes after I ended my cardio session. After weights, I take a quick shower and heat up dinner which is about 15 minutes after the end of my workout. Now I keep reading that it's better to have your meal immediately after a workout and not wait. I also read that it's better to have a shake instead of real food since the proteins and carbs will enter your system a lot quicker, which is important if you've just had a weight training session. Given all this, I have several questions. Keep in mind my goal is to maximize my muscle gains.

1) Does the importance of the post workout meal only apply to a weight training workout or does it also apply to cardio?

2) How long is too long to wait following a workout to have a meal?

3) Is a shake really that more effective than regular food as a post workout meal and if so, what are some good examples to try? Something high in carbs and protein but not loaded with sugars would be good. If this is something that I have to have after my morning cardio, then can I treat it as breakfast or would I still need extra food?

4) Is it better to lift weights on an empty stomach or have a meal before and if so, what are good meal ideas that don't require cooking and how much time before the workout should this meal be consumed? As far as ideas, I'm looking for something simple like a shake or bar, preferably one that isn't loaded with sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User
    1) Does the importance of the post workout meal only apply to a weight training workout or does it also apply to cardio?

It's MOST important after lifting, but cardio also depletes glycogen, so to avoid going catabolic, a little something right afterward will help spare muscle.

2) How long is too long to wait following a workout to have a meal?

Well, there is no "too long", but the longer you wait, the harder recovery is going to be and more you're working against your efforts in the gym.

3) Is a shake really that more effective than regular food as a post workout meal and if so, what are some good examples to try? Something high in carbs and protein but not loaded with sugars would be good. If this is something that I have to have after my morning cardio, then can I treat it as breakfast or would I still need extra food?

Post workout, a shake is most effective because it is quickly digested and absorbed, but you should also have a post workout meal (within a couple hours of lifting). Right after lifting is when you want to spkie insulin, so simple carbs are the best at this time. Dextrose is ideal, but even just a soda will do. After cardio, I would stick with real food.

4) Is it better to lift weights on an empty stomach or have a meal before and if so, what are good meal ideas that don't require cooking and how much time before the workout should this meal be consumed? As far as ideas, I'm looking for something simple like a shake or bar, preferably one that isn't loaded with sugar.

It is better to have something to eat before lifting. Not *right* before, but within an hour or so. You need some carbs to give you energy to get through the workout. I almost always have oatmeal before, but cereal, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, protein bars (I'm thinking no cooking and portable here...) all keep you from running out of steam.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
    someguyinhis20s

someguyinhis20s HB User
    Naxis, how does one spike insulin after weight training or is it the result of weight training? I thought insulin causes the body to store fat so why would you want insulin to be high and then flood your system with sugar? Won't that result in fat gain?

Wouldn't a protein shake make sense right after weights since you want to supply your muscles with protein just as they're about the rebuild?

What kinds of drinks are good sources of Dextrose?

You said a little something right after cardio is good to spare muscles. But you also said to eat real food. Right now, I wait a half hour after cardio before I eat real food. Should I just down a shake, clean up, and then eat real food or is that overkill?

As far as a pre-weight lifting meal with carbs, should it be something high in carbs or something with simple carbs? I'm thinking simple carbs will burn up too quickly.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:35 PM   #4
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User
    Wow... relax, man. You are making this way too complicated. I'll answer the rest if I get some time (or anyone else up for it?) but in all seriousness, get a book or two. You're getting a lot of nuggets of info and seems you're not sure what to do with them or how they fit. I'm sure there is a plethora of excellent, well organized info out there.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:36 PM   #5
    justink80

justink80 HB User
    I can answer the insulin question.

Insulin will help "shuttle" the nutrients to your muscles very quickly, so this is why it's beneficial to first spike your insulin level then drink a protein shake.

I think I'm right, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

------------------
    "I don't like him." - Why? - "I am not equal to him." - Has any human being ever answered that way? -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 08-08-2002, 02:32 PM   #6
    N2Deep

N2Deep HB User
    Go to AST Sport Science Website they have tons of info about this topic. I would post the website but it will just get edited out. Search google for ast-ss. They even have a food database. Good Luck

Old 08-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
    PartTwo

PartTwo HB User
    Yeah...what are good sources of dextrose/glucose or even fructose for that matter? Muscle and Fitness says that glucose or dextrose should be your first choice...anything that contains high-glycemic index carbs. So does this basically range from fruit juices, soft drinks, honey etc...??

Closed Thread