It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Lenght of Time for Biopsy Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
    CBDH
    (female)

CBDH HB User
    Lenght of Time for Biopsy Results

I am having a colposcopy on 10/5 and am wondering how long the average wait is to receive the biopsy results. From what I've read, it can be anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks. Can anyone help me out with this?

Also, I am wondering about post-colposcopy procedures for women who are finished w/child-bearing. I am 44 and do not plan to have any more kids. Is it more likely that, since I have HPV (thanks to a philandering husband), my doctor will recommend a hysterectomy rather than a LEEP, LOOP, cryo, etc. if it turns out that I have cervical cancer? I am not a "gloom and doom" type person by nature, but I am trying to be realistic as to what I might have to expect.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Claudia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
    hazel eyes
    (female)

hazel eyes HB User
    Re: Lenght of Time for Biopsy Results

Hi Claudia
    I had the results from my colposcopy in a week. I had the proceedure on a Friday and the results were back the following Friday.

I just had a Leep last Friday, Sept. 15th and called the office today to see if the results were back yet and they said 2 weeks, so i guess the time differs for each proceedure.

Im 41 and wondering the same things myself, my family is complete and i dont know what the next step is if the results of the LEEP are bad.

I know one thing...im starting to HATE Fridays..

Try to stay calm...believe me i know how hard it is. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

~Lisa

Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
    CBDH
    (female)

CBDH HB User

Lisa: Thanks for your quick reply. My head is just swimming right now, although I am doing my best to stay calm. I find that when I am alone my anxiety is at its worst--driving in my car is a sure-fire bet for tears lately--but when I am w/other people and even moderately distracted, I am "better."

Good luck with your test results. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted.

Claudia

Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
    tealdreams
    (female)

tealdreams HB User

Hi CBDH,

What grade of dysplasia do you have? You may be preparing yourself for cancer where there isnít much need to worry about it. if the colop shows dysplasia and not cancer, the doctor may still choose to do a LEEP or other forms of treatment instead of a hysterectomy since they are far less stressful on the body and quite effective. If you were diagnosed with cancer, most doctors would probably recommend doing the hysterectomy if you are over child bearing years. Just remember that ultimately it is your decision on what kind of treatment you would like. Ask questions and get all the possibilities explained to you and do research.

But donít worry until you get the colop results. You may not even need any procedures!

good luck

Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

My doc gives me my biopsy results within a week but it's going to depend on your doctor's office and how busy the lab they send their samples to is.

Everyone with dysplasia has HPV, so that has nothing to do with what your doctor will recommend, unless perhaps the doctor knows what strain you have and it's aggressive. If you have mild dysplasia, you may need no treatment at all. If you have moderate to severe dysplasia you'll need treatment, but believe me, a LEEP is much preferable to a hysterectomy. The recovery is much, much, much easier.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
    confused4ever
    (female)

confused4ever HB User

for me it was 2 weeks i guess it depends on the doctors office

Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
    sharon7270
    Inactive
    (female)

sharon7270 HB User

My biopsy results from the colpo took about 10 days or so...and I had CIN III...next step was cone biopsy...all carcinoma in situ/CIN III and the dysplasia is still present...I am meeting with the oncologist this coming Friday to decide where to go from here. I am 36, family complete, unable to conceive after all procedures anyway and they are still not pushing hysterectomy. So, just wait for your results because like someone already said, you may have mild dysplasia that requires nothing and if you do require treatment typically the LEEP or cone biopsy removes all of the diseased cells and there is no need to go through anything more than follow up paps...my result was not the norm. Of course, nothing in my life ever is, so I expected it. I don't think you should blame your husband either as I have been with mine for 10 years and always had normal paps (and actually two negative HPV test results). I know he has never cheated on me and the doctor said the same as yours did....no way of knowing how long I have had this.

I don't know who said it, but Fridays do suck. Why do they always do this stuff on Fridays?

Closed Thread