It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• New to Adderall XR--confused about effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
    gator03
    (female)

gator03 HB User
    New to Adderall XR--confused about effects

I have just recently started taking Adderall XR about a week ago. I haven't taken it everday, I took it on friday, sunday-tuesday, and wednesday. When I take it I am prescribed One 20mg every morning. The first day of taking it I felt great, I used to never participate in class (if i ever went) and i started actively participating. I am a naturally smart person, I just cant get myself to do anything that i need to, taking the adderall xr, even for the short amount of time has changed that already ( i was the only person in a class of over 100 people to get a perfect score on my test...I hadnt even been taking my tests before the adderall.) The first day when it wore off I didn't really experience any bad side effects....no crashes at least, but I had no appetite and dry mouth, that was about it. The past couple days though have changed completey. While im on the medicine I still feel good, I get things done, I concentrate, and I am sociable. But the good effects only seem to last about a solid 4-5 hours, and being the XR I thought they might last longer. But the worst thing is coming down from it. I feel like I can pinpoint the exact moment it happens and then next couple hours that follow are horrendous. I don't want to talk to anyone, I feel sick to my stomach (only to end up dry heaving), I am EXTREMELY irritable, and I feel depressed. It makes me want to never take the drug again ( but when I do, i feel great again.) Also, once it wears off (maybe a good thing) I am hungry again right away and I also have no trouble going to sleep at all- i am not really complaining about these things, I just thought maybe a crash would go in hand with this. Will these effects go away once I get used to the drug more? My main concern is the terrible crash. Also, I dont like taking the drug on the weekend, as I am in college and tend to go out alot! Is it bad that I take these days off, or if I happen to skip a day could that make the crash worse? I just need to know if this is normal, if it will go away, or if I can do anything to help lessen the bad effects! Sorry so long, and thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
    Mstngfan
    (female)

Mstngfan HB User
    Re: New to Adderall XR--confused about effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gator03
    I have just recently started taking Adderall XR about a week ago. I haven't taken it everday, I took it on friday, sunday-tuesday, and wednesday. When I take it I am prescribed One 20mg every morning. The first day of taking it I felt great, I used to never participate in class (if i ever went) and i started actively participating. I am a naturally smart person, I just cant get myself to do anything that i need to, taking the adderall xr, even for the short amount of time has changed that already ( i was the only person in a class of over 100 people to get a perfect score on my test...I hadnt even been taking my tests before the adderall.) The first day when it wore off I didn't really experience any bad side effects....no crashes at least, but I had no appetite and dry mouth, that was about it. The past couple days though have changed completey. While im on the medicine I still feel good, I get things done, I concentrate, and I am sociable. But the good effects only seem to last about a solid 4-5 hours, and being the XR I thought they might last longer. But the worst thing is coming down from it. I feel like I can pinpoint the exact moment it happens and then next couple hours that follow are horrendous. I don't want to talk to anyone, I feel sick to my stomach (only to end up dry heaving), I am EXTREMELY irritable, and I feel depressed. It makes me want to never take the drug again ( but when I do, i feel great again.) Also, once it wears off (maybe a good thing) I am hungry again right away and I also have no trouble going to sleep at all- i am not really complaining about these things, I just thought maybe a crash would go in hand with this. Will these effects go away once I get used to the drug more? My main concern is the terrible crash. Also, I dont like taking the drug on the weekend, as I am in college and tend to go out alot! Is it bad that I take these days off, or if I happen to skip a day could that make the crash worse? I just need to know if this is normal, if it will go away, or if I can do anything to help lessen the bad effects! Sorry so long, and thanks
    I would take it every day as directed if I were you. You like to go out and have fun on the weekends, so do I. I just started taking mine a month ago...20mg XR just like yours. If you feel good when youre on it why would you change that?

Now the symptoms you have when youre "coming down" sounds weird and you should talk to whoever prescribed it to you. Maybe its not right for you?

For me in a month it has turned me around completely at work and I am cought up and feel awesome. Also a food addiction I have battled for as long as I can remember is almost a non issue at this point. I know it is an appetite supressant but I feel that its more than that because of the dopamine or seratonin levels or whatnot, because its really helping and not because of appetite but even when Im hungry Im able to make good decisions...I have lost 13 pounds!

The things it hasnt fixed is my fidgityness, tendency to wander off mentally while somebody is talking to me, and my home duties arent completely up to par which I figure is because the stuff starts wearing off by the time I get home from work. I dont have any feeling of coming down or anything. I just went for my month check up with the doc and he upped me to 30mg XR which I will start tomorrow.

So far so good it has allready helped 2 areas that I was desperate for help in!!! Just keep talking to your docs and do what they say. You will find the right thing for you.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
    In_repair

In_repair HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gator03
    I'm in the exact same boat! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. At this point I keep wondering how people could possibly be addicted to Adderall XR when it makes me feel so depressed coming down.
    Today was my 6th day and I took 20mg. I took it at 10:30am and by 2 or 3pm I was feeling awful. This sense of hopelessness and dread kept washing over me. I had to fight these feelings that seemed to come in waves.
    I have tried to google Adderall and depression but not much comes up that is helpful. So far your post is about the only thing that comes near to making me feel a little better. Around 6:30 I felt exactly back to my "old" self with no depression at all so it must be some chemical reaction from the drug. I am not normally a depressed person.

I'm going to wait it out another week and move myself down to 10mg 2x a day. I'll post and let you know how it goes.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
    appleandeve
    (female)

appleandeve HB User

Afternoon crashes are totally normal. I have an evil, evil ex-doctor who would only prescribe me 10 mg of Adderall XR per day, which resulted in minimal benefits and an afternoon crash. Ask your doctor if he or she could prescribe you a 10 mg of regular Adderall to take in the afternoon as a "booster dose." I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's noticeably better.

It's like this: you've got to pay attention in class, but when do you do most of your studying or home assignments? Mmm, afternoon-evening. By taking a smaller dose of regular Adderall about an hour before you normally crash (I take mine at about four or five in the evening), you keep it from coming around and the effects of the drug don't last as long as XR so after taking your booster dose for a few days, you'll probably be rid of the initial insomnia.

By the way, before you take your XR in the morning, be sure to eat a low-fat/high-protein/healthy carb breakfast- a big one, so you can get food while eating's not a total chore.

Also, it's absolutely fine to skip days of taking Adderall if you don't need it. Drug holidays can help give your body a break from being on what's essentially speed. The weekends are great for helping you gain your weight back (assuming you're a responsible, reasonably healthy eater) so you don't look absolutely emaciated. I'm stick-thin already and my older sister and I are almost absurdly alike (we look the same, have all the same health issues, take the same doses of the same medicines), and she doesn't take her weekends off and she's starting to look a little skeletal in a totally not pretty way. Make sure you feed your body. It's bad to run off of artificial neurochemicals instead of food and sleep.

I'm sorry if I went totally overboard with information, but... well, I'm on Adderall and I'm really focused- ahaha. Hope I helped.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
    appleandeve
    (female)

appleandeve HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by In_repair
    I'm in the exact same boat! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. At this point I keep wondering how people could possibly be addicted to Adderall XR when it makes me feel so depressed coming down.
    Today was my 6th day and I took 20mg. I took it at 10:30am and by 2 or 3pm I was feeling awful. This sense of hopelessness and dread kept washing over me. I had to fight these feelings that seemed to come in waves.
    I have tried to google Adderall and depression but not much comes up that is helpful. So far your post is about the only thing that comes near to making me feel a little better. Around 6:30 I felt exactly back to my "old" self with no depression at all so it must be some chemical reaction from the drug. I am not normally a depressed person.

I'm going to wait it out another week and move myself down to 10mg 2x a day. I'll post and let you know how it goes.
    Yeahhh, I have depression and ADD- crashes were the absolute worst for me until I got on my booster dose (read my other reply for more information on that). My evil ex-doctor wouldn't give me a booster dose because she thought I was going to sell it or abuse it or use it to lose weight (I'M NOT ANOREXIC, LEAVE ME ALONEE), and I was like, "Woman! You're giving me medicine for moderate to severe clinical depression and you refuse to save me from this crash which feels about like my lowest moments of this year!" She was the devil...

Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
    Mstngfan
    (female)

Mstngfan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by In_repair

So what youre saying is you plan to change your dosage without even consulting a doctor...

If you guys are having such severe issues why not make an appointment and talk to a doctor about it?

Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
    In_repair

In_repair HB User

I took 10mg twice a day for the last two days. It worked our great but I think I might need to move up to 15mg. I felt no depression whatsoever but I also did not feel as focused as I would have liked to. I took one at 9am and another at 2pm. It seems to wear off very quickly. I see my Doc on Tuesday so we'll see what he says. Maybe I just went up too high too fast.

I'm really looking forward to figuring this out.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

I'm on my 3rd month of Adderall XR 20mg. It's been working great for my job except for the fact that by mid to late afternoon it has already worn off. Problem is that for the evening stuff at home I was pretty useless (paying bills, not listening to the wife, wandering off mentally, usual stuff

I told my doctor about it not lasting long enough and asked if I could adjust the dosage so now I'm on 20mg XR twice a day. All I can say is ughhh. Yes the 2nd dosage in the afternoon helps with the evening hours but the headaches are unbearable. I'm gonna give it a few more days to see if my body just needs time to adjust otherwise its back to once a day dosage and another trip to the doctor.

Anyone else have problems with headaches?

Mstngfan: How is the 30mg dosage helping you? Do you find that it lasts longer than the 20mg?

J

Last edited by New2ADD; 10-01-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
    tonymc
    (male)

tonymc HB User

I had headaches like my eyes were about to explode and it seemed to be in the top front of my head (as opposed to stress headaches being in the lower back). They've toned down a bit but I still get them everyonce in a while. I have one now. I took some advil and am heading to bed.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
    Mstngfan
    (female)

Mstngfan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by New2ADD
    Mstngfan: How is the 30mg dosage helping you? Do you find that it lasts longer than the 20mg?

J
    Havnt noticed a difference yet as Ive only been taking it a couple days but Ill let you know..

Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
    In_repair

In_repair HB User

My doctor switched me to Concerta 36mg. I'll start tom. I'm still hopeful that I will find the drug that is right for me. He seemed to think Adderall xr just wasn't the drug for me.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
    *Spaz*
    (female)

*Spaz* HB User

I get headaches about once a week when coming down from my Adderall. I also get really really fatigued and just want to sleep. If I ignore it for an hour or so it goes away and I return to my normal non-medicated self. I've also noticed I'm more prone to blood pressure spikes while on it. If something upsets me the blood vessels in my cheeks will pop.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
    pacy26
    (female)

pacy26 HB User

If I were you I would tell your doctor what you are feeling meds are not to be fooled with ...My son was taking adderal for years and he did do better on them .. .They took him off because it caused him (low blood count )and he could bleed easely .

I feel bad for him because he struggles to be oragnized .

pacy26

Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

Update: My headaches are now gone. I guess my body has adjusted to the 2nd dose of 20mg XR. The extra dose of XR has really helped.

Here is a pointer for my fellow Adderall ADDr's. Try taking your adderall with an antacid (Zantac or Pepcid).
    If you read the prescription info (yeah, who really reads those besides science geeks ) it says that any acids (anything like OJ, soda, etc..) will reduce the amount of amphetamine your stomach absorbs thus resulting in you urinating most of it out. It also says that an alkaline (basic) stomach environment will allow your stomach to absorb more amphetamine. This is what happens when you take an antacid.

Does it work? Hell yes it does. Try taking a Pepcid or Zantac about 1 hour before taking your adderall. Makes a big difference.

J

Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

My son took Adderall. He completely lost his appetite on it and he became very moody once the drug would wear off by the next morning. It was horrible for him so we had to switch to a Risperderal. Then that didn't work, and now he takes Clonidine. Finally, the pdoc has found one that works for his body.

*Every person reacts differently to each and every medication that is out there.

Closed Thread