It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Jogging everyday bad for the body?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User
    Jogging everyday bad for the body?

Ive been jogging for almost everyday this week for 15-17 minutes straight. Someone told me though i should do it every other day so i have time to rest my legs so i dont damage them. Is this true? I would like to jog everyday and hopefuly add 5 minutes on my time every 2 weeks or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Jogging everyday bad for the body?

It shouldn't be a problem to jog most days but they always say to take one day off. So why not just do 6 days a week?

Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User

yeah, 15 to 17 minutes a day isn't really intense enough (unless you're sprinting) to require a day off between workouts. You mostly need a day off between workouts for strength training because the muscles need time to recover. Running doesn't do the same amount of damage, so you should be fine to run as often as you like.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
    davej24
    (male)

davej24 HB User

If you are weight training than jogging every other day is a good idea. If your fitness goal doesn't include adding muscle mass then jogging 6 days a week should not be a problem.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
    PHANTASMAGORIA
    (male)

PHANTASMAGORIA HB User

COOOL! KEEP ON JOGGING!

I too think that every day is good.

Just watch out for shin splints.

I used to jog every single day but then I was forced to change to cycling because the shin splint pain was getting too bad, I could no longer run.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
    Meacoolgirly
    (female)

Meacoolgirly HB User

I have been wondering the same thing.... For the past 3 weeks my husband and I have been running at least 5x a week in the morning. We run normally right around 3 miles and usually do this within 30 minutes. We feel great and havent been achy or sore, so I am guessing its okay on our bodies. I actually think I need to push myself harder because its getting pretty easy? I like running for the health benefits, but I wouldnt mind getting toned up as well!

While I do feel like I have been slimming down since running, I would like to see more of a change... should I be running further? Faster? Twice a day? Should I be lifting weights? I have trying to once a week (not alot of time to go the gym)... or should I just be patient?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User

Push yourself if you think you're able, but don't get too impatient with changes in how you look. Seeing any change in 3 weeks is excellent. Just be patient and consistent and you'll see some major physical changes as well. If you want tone, you should definitely be doing some kind of strength training, at least once a week. A little lean muscle will also help you to burn fat more efficiently, so it's a double benefit.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
    Meacoolgirly
    (female)

Meacoolgirly HB User

So running 3 miles 5x a week is sufficient exercise to see results. I dont mind waiting if eventually i will see them! We have also been following the south beach diet... eating low fat protein, whole grains, some fruit, lots of veggies...So our diet is on track, I think... I'll be patient

Closed Thread