It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 13 month old suddenly gagging on everything!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
    Celestine
    Veteran
    (female)

Celestine HB User
    13 month old suddenly gagging on everything!

DS used to be a joy to feed. He ate everything, and lots of it. He had a bad cold for the last couple of weeks but seems to have gotten over it now. His appetite went way down when he was sick. The problem at the moment is that he gags now on anything remotely chunky. It started on noodlely and I'd noticed it with Jello, but now it seems to be just about anything. I gave him a plate of cooked mixed veggies, he used to eat them by the handful, and he threw most of them on the floor when he wasn't gagging them out of his mouth. Then I tried a little cottage cheese, a food he's been eating often since he was 6 months old, and he gagged so bad he vomited everything out. I'm basically back to giving him baby food and applesauce cups in order to ensure he doesn't throw everything back up. Anyone else have the gagging problem come up after they seemed to be doing well with textures? He's vomited 4 times on different foods he's eaten a million times in about as many days. He did eat some cut up fruit chunks, gerber puffs, crackers and a rice cookie just fine so I'm confused about what is going on here. Can this be a psycological problem? I really don't get it. I should add that he's only vomiting while he's eating and only after he's been gagging. I don't think there's any problems with his tummy. He doesn't seem the least bit sick otherwise.

Last edited by Celestine; 10-18-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User
    Re: 13 month old suddenly gagging on everything!

He probably just has an over active gag reflex, DS develped one of those a while back, shortly after having a tummy bug. He randomly throws up still, just a little while ago actually, he got really upset and cried so hard he threw up, sometimes he does it when he coughs, and sometimes he just sticks his fingers down his throat. And sometimes he gags on seemingly nothing, we think he might have a bit of reflux too.
    Your baby might still have a kind of gunky throart from the cold, it always takes me a while to get over that. Or if he is teeting it could be that he is trying to chew odd and gagging.
    I guess it could be psycological, DS always throws up when we feed him chicken stew (so we don't feed him that anymore) since he got that stomach bug and that was what he had eaten right before.
    My guess would be either a touch of reflux, or just an overactive gag reflex.
    Good Luck

Closed Thread