It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
    froggirl

froggirl HB User
    Question Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

What about the dizziness when you close your eyes to sleep??? i get it really bad then, just like my head is spinning. also, in my dreams lots of times i am really dizzy, to the point where I can't walk. also, having vertigo. I look down and things just "swim". anyone ever experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #17
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Question Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

Hi Boxerlover,
    I am new to this forum {REMOVED}

I can so relate to your post. I have had my anxiety for 3 years and have had .25mg of Xanax perscribed. I only take it every now and then but since Friday last week I have been taking one or 2 each day. On the friday in question I was standing at work having a chat not feeling anxious (or more then normal) and I suddenly felt like I was falling/passing out. I turned my head quickly to focus on something else and the feeling went away, then of course I went all red and my heart races and I felt sick etc.

About an hour later I was sitting at my desk and leaned forward to get a drink and then when I leant back it felt like I was falling of my chair backwards. So then I freaked right out thinking that there is something major wrong. I took one of my xanax.
    The rest of the time up until now I have not had anymore of these "turns" but I have been feeling off balance and like I am in a bit of a dream. Is this how they started for you?
    I have learnt to deal with all the aspects of my anxiety but this one is knocking my for 6.
    I went to my doctor and he wants to change me from Xanax to Zoloft! I don't want to do that because with my xanax I take it as needed and it work straight away, I don't want to be on something daily.
    thanks for listening

Last edited by msmod; 10-23-2006 at 07:32 AM. Reason: If you are unsure of the posting rules, please re-read them. The PM function is turned off on this board. Ms_Mod

Old 10-23-2006, 02:17 AM   #18
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User
    Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

I can relate to the dizzy spell but mine is different from most of yours. Maybe someboby can help me out. I do fine until I lay down at night to go to bed and when I lay my hed on my pillow, for a couple of seconds it's like everything is spinning around me, Also when I get up during the night ior of the morning, if I raise up out of bed and stand up, I get so dizzy that I fall back down on the bed and I have even fell into the wall in front of me. I have also noticed if I look up at something towards the ceiling, I feel like everything is spinning and then it stops. Or if i look down, I get dizzy. I do have high blood pressure and I am on medication for it but I have never done this before. Can anybody relate to this and maybe help me? Thanks

Jan

Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
    Beano14
    (female)

Beano14 HB User

That's exactly how I felt when I was diagnosed with BPV. See an ENT who should be very familiar with it and they can do a simple maneuver with your head to fix it. There is a very high success rate for the Epley maneuver but unfortunately, 5-10% doesn't work and I'm one of them. Look up Benign Positional Vertigo and you'll be surprised. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Beano14; 10-23-2006 at 09:11 AM.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User

Hello bek262

First I want to explain the "Feeling like you are in a dream" comment you made. What you are describing is called Depersonalization which is nothing more then a SYMPTOM of an anxiety disorder. Depersonalization can not exist without anxiety, but anxiety can exist without depersonalization.
    Depersonalization is caused by a shift in the part of the brain that provides us with a 'real' awareness of our environment, which are caused by changes which occur in the way nerve signals are processed by the brain during anxiety disorders. I DID tons of research on this myself, in fear of thinking I was going crazy!!
    Depersonalization can include feelings of, unreal unattached, spaciness like a dream state, spaced~out, feeling like your head is in a fog, withdrawn, and dreamlike state.. Derealization is completely harmless but can be very disturbing. I know I myself often have depersonalization/derealization feelings
    For me I feel at times as if my surroundings just don't seem real, everything
    becomes vivid in a way and places or people that I know don't seem real at times. I feel like I am looking at things through a mirror or movie screen if that makes sense.. It's just all part of this wonderful disorder!!!
    AS for the dizziness. I feel like I am falling to the side, backwards, forward as if I am being forced or pulled it's that intense. I also feel like I am sinking, swaying like I have been drinking all day, along with a floaty feeling like my body weight is almost weight less.. I get the sensation as if I am on an elevator going up or down that same dropping feeling that too is very intense. I use to just get them a few times throughout the day. I remember my FIRST sensation which was years ago I was sitting at my desk at work and I felt an intense falling sensation. It scared the heck out of me and followed with a major panic attack.. I now have these wonderful feelings on a daily basis and if I am having a stressful anxious day they are that much more intense. I still think it could be related to something other then anxiety, I am thinking my daily headches, or possable inner ear or my TMJ which is
    (jaw problems) from clenching do to stress.. It's hard to determine if the anxiety is causing the dizziness or if the dizziness is causing the anxiety, But I can tell you this if one is worse for me one day that means the other is 100 times worse also!! Do you find the xanax calms things down for you? meaning you feel these sensations less after taking the xanax? Has it been mentioned to you that it's all anxiety related or did your Doctor mentioned possiable ear realted? I find if I take a xanax same as you .25mg the feelings are less intense. I still have them but they aren't as bad, it kind of takes the edge off the dizziness. I was told that benzo's like xanax are used to treat inner ear disorders as well it helps calm down the signal to the brain from the inner ear.
    You mentioned you have had anxiety for three years, did this symptom just start happening? I can tell you from my own that I was an anxious anxiety suffer before I became dizzy and that the dizziness just happend one day like I said sitting at my desk at work "9 YEARS AGO" and haven't left me since!!! A long time so I am a pro at what you are feeling and have a lot of research under my belt when it comes to vertigo!!!
    I hope you as well as anyone else out there feeling this way has found some comfort in this post. Please keep me up~dated and any thoughts or questions let me know.. Boxerlover

Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #21
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Smile Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

Hi Boxerlover,
    Yep the xanax takes the edge off but I do still feel off balance. I have never had any troubles with my ears. I do get sinus troubles - well it feels like sinus - for the last 3 years and I know that I have a sist in my sinus canal. I have had millions of test - been to 3 cardioligist because I was so sure I had a heart condition but they all come back with "healthy heart" anxiety is the trouble. I guess they can't all be wrong

Sounds like you have looked into each and every symptom fully. How do you handle your anxiety? Do you still lead a normal (as possible) life? I read alot of self help book and somethimes I go months with out having to take my xanax, this can be bad though because you forget how bad it is so when it comes back it hits you like a tonne of bricks.

I have a 2 and a half year old, so I tried each day to lead a normal as possible life for her. I dont want her to have the memories of a mother that couldn't do anything of go anywhere etc.
    I am currently seeing a hypnotherapist - my second visit is today at 1.00pm. Not sure if it is working or not because at the moment we are trying to find the problem - once we do hopefully we can get rid of it!

Bek

Old 10-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #22
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User

Hey Bek262~

I know how you feel completly.. I have a "almost" 2 year old daughter and I feel the same way as you. But somedays I am so dizzy I have such a hard time just functioning...
    Are your "dizzy" feelings like mine? The floaty swaying falling sinking feelings?
    I can honestly say I have them for so long you think I would be use to it by now.. I read a lot of self help books.. I did 2 years of therapy and take a xanax when days are bad.. I am like you I had a time where my anxiety went away during my pregnancy and then after birth wham came back even stronger! I am starting to learn that I have a habit of not breathing correctly, meaning I breath from my chest not my belly.. So I tend to walk around in a hyperventilation state, which is common in panic disorder. I am not walking around gasping for air or panting, just not breathing right because I am always on guard for the next attack.. It's called Hyperventilation syndrome!
    Yeap another wonderful syndrome related to anxiety!!!
    I did tons of research over the years and learned a lot through threapy and mostly I get through my days with support from others that are going throught the same.. I wrote another topic called my disease called anxiety on this board I think you will find that post of intrest. I will bump it up to the first page hopefully you will find it and it also will be helpful to you! keep me posted on your answers to the dizziness I am interested to find out if it's all anxiety related... Any questions or thoughts I am always around here lending support as well as gaining! Good Luck Boxerlover

Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #23
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User

my god reading your post - I had to check that I hadn't written it!!! The breathing thing is spot on. I too breath through my chest rather then my belly. short shallow breaths all the time. Doctor reckons that this is some of the reason for my dizziness. Mornings are normally the worse for me I walk around sighing all morning or yawning! Sound familiar
    Do you get cold hands sometimes too?
    Yep my dizziness is how your described it definantly. I have always had dizziness with my anxiety but like I said the last 10 days or so I have had the falling feeling like you discribed so well. Too really bad attacks where I was just chatting an then felt like I was falling forward and going to pass out the next time while sitting and then leaning back on my chari felt like I was falling to the floor! They where so scary and since then I have just been off balance and it is like I am waiting for another to happen.

I always related the dizziness to my heart rate. I have a resting heart rate of about 60bpm and a holter monitor showed a sleeping heart rate of 33bpm which had me so freaked out but 3 cardiologists later and being told that I have a large heart therefore it doesn't have to beat as fast as others has put me a bit at rest. But it is so hard to be reassured when I am feeling dizzy and tired. This is what caused my anxiety in the first place I am SURE. now each day I think about it but try not to worry. I guess if it got too low I would pass out and then they would have to give me a pacemaker or something. However whenever I am dizzy and I take my heart rate it is normal 60bpm perfect the cardioligists would say!!
    I didn't know however that a low heart rate is a sign of anxiety. Cause everone always talks about heart racing etc no one ever talks about slow heart rate. The doctor said to me that a lot of people have a sleeping heart rate in the 30's even 20's but they never know it because they nevet get monitored.

have you had heart monitors etc?

Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #24
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hey Bek262~
    I happen to be one of those who have the fast heart rates.. Sometimes 120bp my resting heart rate is in the 70's and when sleeping in the 50-60's
    I had all the heart test done years ago about 3 and everything came back good.. They said it was anxiety related.. Now after a few years I start worring again about the heart issues again.. But when I take a xanax the heart rate goes back to normal. So I am thinking it's all still anxiety related.
    As for the cold hands.. ALL DAY LONG!! My hands are always cold!!! I always feel chilled with anxiety not so much sweating.. I too have the falling feeling it's really strange that we both feel it the same way. Like were going to fall or pass out, it's such a unpleasant intense feeling. I try to explain it and so many Doctors look at me like I am crazy.. I guess because I never actually passed out.. when you get a chance look up Hyperventilation syndrome if you haven't already.. You will be amazed at the symptoms and how dizziness and vertigo plays a major role in this syndrome. So your Doctor may be right.
    Even when we are not panicking or having anxiety if your breathing pattern is wrong it could cause a tremendous amount of symptoms.
    Sometimes I catch myself and then I start the sighs, and yawns. I always feel like I am walking around holding my breath if that sounds Familiar!
    I want you to know I was like you always anxious and then one day woke up with the falling feeling and that was it, it became such a vicious cycle..
    Keep me posted I am looking for my other post I told you about.. Hope you get a chance to read it.. I'm here if you need to talk or any thoughts I truly understand! Boxerlover (Boxers Leave Paw Prints In Our Hearts Forever)

Old 10-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #25
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Talking Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

holding my breath YES YES YES.

I am going to look up hyperventilation syndrome - I always said that is one thing that I never had with my anxiety, because I thought that it was like in the movies gasping for breath and that sort of thing little did I know it was what happens to me each day.

we are so similar I am so sure we will help each other.

I have a tight chest today too - went to the physio yesterday as I have heaps of trouble with my neck because I am always SO tense. So today I am feling bruised and sore. AND OF COURSE the oain inmy neck and shoulders also makes my upper chest hurt!!!
    Also have very dry throat and feel like my eyes are so tired - I think this is sinus?

Are you on anything other then the xanax? My doctor suggested last week went I went to him about he dizziness that we try Zoloft - but this is a daily thing. I like xanax cause I take it when I needed it. I must admit of late it has been daily - I haven't taken any today or yesterday though.

I am off to my hypnotherapist appointment - it is 12.15pm here in Australia - not sure what time it is there but I will message you when I return to tell you how it went. The first time I cried my eyes out thinking of good and bad stuff that has happened. Lets see today!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #26
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi bek262~
    I will be here with my fingers crossed that your appointment goes well.
    I am in New york and it's now 11pm on Monday. I am usually on at night because during the day I am chasing the little one around!
    I will send you all my information I learned on "hyper~ syndrome" I am telling you we are a lot alike and I am sure of it that we will help each other!!
    I tried the SSRI's like zoloft but it just increased my anxiety so I stopped. Perhaps you will have better results.. My neck is a mess too always tight and my chest is the same, but that is from the way we breath, Put your hand under your breast and you should take a deep breath in through your nose, this should make your hand move, then you know you are breathing the way you should with your belly then slowly release the breath through your nose again. Not your mouth! After doing this you should feel calmer it's a breathing exercise I have learned over the years, simple but important in the way we breath. See you and I we walk around holding our breaths and we hold it in our chest. This causes alot of discomfort in many areas of our body as well as mind because we are actually lowering our carbon dioxide in our blood stream by hyperventilating.
    I will check back later to see how you did at your appointment. I moved up the post I was telling you about.. hope you find it! Boxerlover

Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #27
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User

today was a good session

last week we found out that when I was 4 and my parents left me with my granny for 6 weeks that she filled my head with alot of thoughts about death and being scared of dying etc lots more.
    Anyway, today we went back and I face granny as a full grown adult and told her how she hurt me by telling me these things and that she was wrong etc and got her to apologise and then let her go. She id dead anyway but this was a way of letting the problem go.

She says that my anxiety is to do with the seperation from my family and they fear that she made me beleive.

The funny thing is that I never thought of this until Thursday when I met with her so it is true that things so small can hae a huge impact.
    I am back next week.

I am about to look into the hypo symdrome!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #28
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Talking Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

Hi boxerlover,
    Just wanted to thank you for telling me about hyperventilation syndrome. I printed heaps off of the net yesterday and have started watching my breathing and only breathing through my nose and today - most of the day - I have felt great.
    Thanks heaps

Old 10-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #29
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Bek262
    Your very welcome!! I find it amazing that when you step back for a moment and look at something as simple as "the way we breath" throughout the day and find that we are in fact walking around Hyperventilating and don't even realize it until we practice breathing correctly! I walk around feeling like I am holding my breath all day, as I mentioned to you before and sometimes I catch myself as well.. I am glad you are feeling alittle better today and now you are aware at what you were doing as far as your breathing pattern goes..
    You mentioned in therapy you learned about things from your childhood and the fear of death that was brought into your mind at such a young age. I found this interesting because a similar situation was brought up in my therapy session. I fear death and illness due to what I thought was a loss at such a young age, My grandma who was very special to me like a second mother in a way had passed when I was young and her passing was my first experience with death. I was with her when she passed and the image replays in my mind over and over again still till this day. My loss was so deep and the hurt was so great I missed her dearly each day that passed without her presence. And I kept having a hard time getting past the last moments spent with her. BUT my therapist seems to think it's not so much the "being there" with her when she passed, nor the hurt so much from the loss. But more the LEARN behavior I was taught about the fear of dying and illness. So you see as things are deeply brought up from your childhood that you never even realized effected you or never really came out as anxiety up until now you will begin to learn that anxiety can live inside us for many years knocking at the door to come in and when we are "less" aware is when it takes us over and comes out in symptom form. And after being in therapy for awhile you will see that it becomes an elimination process meaning you will go through things in your life that may or may not have caused you some anxiety or phobia and address them all individually like you did your grandma, and eventually you begin to eliminate each anxiety, each phobia, and each fear.. For example I am VERY claustrophobic, if someone is standing to close to me I feel smothered. I never could understand why and after years of therapy I realized that after my grandmothers funeral the coffin was closed and this instilled a claustrophobia feeling to me. And from that moment on I couldn't stand to be in a situation where I felt like I was trapped or closed in.. I never related the two together until I started therapy and was brought back to my past.. AMAZING how the mind works, amazing how the mind remembers!!!
    I just wanted to share that with you because I think you and I share a lot of the same phobias, fears and symptoms... I think therapy all though at times maybe draining in the long run will make you stronger, more aware of your feelings more aware of why you are anxious and in the end you will see how much it has actually changed and helped you for the better! Good Luck
    keep me posted and I am here if you have any thoughts or questions. Boxerlover (keep the breathing pattern going)

Old 10-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #30
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Please Read~If you are a Dizzy Suffer!

I agree totally.
    Yesterday like I said was a great day, I had not taken my xanax for 4 days which was good because prior to that I had taken them every day for a week!! Normally I take them once a month if that. Well like I was saying yesterday was a great day but the night was a differant story I got home and started cooking tea and the feelings started. Sudden fatigue, nausia, chest pain etc. I tried to breath through it but to not escape so I took my xanax - it took an hour to work and it was a bad hour!

I think that I might go back to taking one each morning whether I need it or not until I am feeling back on top of things. Each day it is a challenge at the moment and I want to stop that and if it means taking a xanax each morning for a week or to I am going to do that.

What do you think?

Closed Thread