It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Pulse rate is scaring me is this normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User
    Re: Pulse rate is scaring me is this normal?

My anxiety symptoms vary from week to week, sometimes day to day. I had shortness of breath for a while. I just stopped thinking about it. You're obviously breathing, right? So just let your body function the way it is supposed to. You shouldn't have to think about breathing. I found that the only time I was short of breath is when I was thinking about it. In fact, just reading your post made me think about my breathing - not good. If it is really that bad, maybe you should call your doctor. I can't tell you that it is just anxiety, but it probably is. Try some deep breathing exercises. I hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #17
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

Daisy,

Try this deep breathing exercise when you feel short of breath:
    Inhale through your nose for a count of 5 hold it for 1 and then breathe out through your mouth for a count of five. If your chest discomfort doesn't get any worse than it is definately anxiety.
    The more deep breaths you do, the more oxygen is circulated through your body and it will relax your muscles and system more.

It is what my PCP told me to do when I was having chest pain and felt like I was going to sufficate.

good luck,
    lyl

Old 10-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #18
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

agree with lylone I remember the worst for me was the day I came home from the hospital after birthing my last child.I was tired of course and my chest started really hurting like someone was standing on it I thought "oh god what if im having a heart attack?" I just laid down on my bed and waited it out though because I figured ...oh no it is probably anxiety and stress I just had baby.I did exactly what lylone said while I laid there with the breathing in my nose holding and letting out my mouth and I noticed when I breathed in deep it was like the weight was lifted off my chest until I let the air back out....thats when I knew it had to be anxiety and stress.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
    bek262
    (female)

bek262 HB User
    Smile Re: Pulse rate is scaring me is this normal?

Firstly, what is your resting heart rate - this is what your heart rate is not one time but when you take it several times over several days.
    a normal pulse rate for an average person is 60 - 80. My pulse rate when resting is 60 and while sleeping it gets in the 40's this is perfectly normal for a fit person. i am no athelete. some atheletes have a resting pulse rate of 40 and a sleeping pulse of 20's!

A lot of people don't know that a slow heart rate is a symptom of anxiety - everyone always thinks about the racing heart - but it is and if you want to learn more about it a book by Clarie Weekes called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" talks about it.

If you are still concerned ask your doctor for a 24 hour monitor and this with put your mind at ease

Closed Thread