It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin Studies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User
    Niacin Studies

Can anyone point me towards studies involving Niacin (ESPECIALLY SLO-NIACIN) and its effectiveness in lowering ldl, total and increasing hdl? I chanced upon one study at the University of Washington concerning Slo-Niacin and Simvastatin but it appears to ongoing (or I can't figure out the results .

I tried Niaspan which is considered extended release, but the flushing was so bad (at 1000 mg). I felt my head and shoulders were going to explode. The slo-niacin is not as bad but I haven't checked my labs with it yet (been taking 500 mg x 2 for about 4 weeks now). My big concerns are effectiveness and liver toxicity.

Thanks for any advise or info that anyone can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Niacin Studies

Judge,

I think you are being a bit too specific. I doubt that you'll find much info PRECISELY about SLO-NIACIN which is the brand name of the extended release product made by Upsher Smith and available without a prescription.
    In FACT, they are sprecifically prevented by LAW from making any medical claims about their product...only Niaspan (Rx) can make those claims.

I think you are on solid ground comparing SLO-NIACIN with any extended release niacin product, or indeed, with Niaspan, but probably not the inositol hexanicotinoate product which is really a different molecule than niacin.

Best is to try it and see what numbers you get.

I've been using it with Lipitor for many months now and find it just fine. Although I have just run out of my "cheapy" SLO NIACIN and switched to another time release formulation that I got in a bin at a discounter (about 20 bottles ): called DIXON'S Time Released Niacin. It is in clear capsules like those old time release cold preparations filled with the multicolored "beads." I got bottles of 100 caps- 250 mg. at $.99 each so I bought all they had.

The SLO NIACIN gave me a decent boost in HLD and, I think, a little further drop in LDL. Maybe a slight drop in Lp(a).

I take my niacin at night with my Lipitor and 650 mg. aspirin.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-16-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

I will attach the study that concerns slo-Niacin and Lipitor. Maybe you can decipher it!

[url]http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00194402[/url]

I think they must be doing it (did it?) with various statins!

Just when I was about to recommend you to be the spokesperson for Slo-Niacin, you go and switch brands! Oh well, maybe when it works its miracles on my numbers, you'll switch back (ha).

Last edited by jkhh; 10-16-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Judge,

Phase IV trials are POST marketing trials so I presume there is such a formulation out now: 10 mg. atorvastatin (Lipitor) and 1500 mg. Slo-Niacin. It looks like the trial period has finished as of July 2006...I wonder what results they got? They were testing the statin, the niacin and both together.
    It seems only Lipitor was used and Upsher-Smith was picking up the bill. Guess is that IF the results are good then they can get FDA approval to make the same kinds of claims that Niaspan makes...in fact, if side effects are low they might be able to aim the specific combination at a waiting public and one-up Niaspan. Hate to see it go Rx though...at 5 times the price.
    Perhaps they extended the trial beyond the anticipated date.

Anyhoo,
    I'll be the poster boy again for the SLO-NIACIN if my "old drug outlet" gets more product. They were selling the bottles at $2.99 per 100 tablet 500 mg. dose. This is a HUGE discount from retail...my hunch is that WALLMART is disposing of the near-sell-by's and that's what I bought.
    I have a hunch there MUST be several more bottles ferreted away in this apartment somewhere...I KNOW I bought more than I took!
    I'll look hard tomorrow.
    But in the meantime, I have no problem with the colorful capsules.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-16-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Could one call the manufacturer and find out? I"m not beneath doing it so let me know.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Could one call the manufacturer and find out? I"m not beneath doing it so let me know.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Judge,

What PRECISELY do you want to know?

Have they tested with statins other than atorvastatin?...I think the answer is a strongly likely: NO.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

I called and then received the following email today. Upon receipt, I will be glad to send a copy along to you.

Thank you for contacting Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc. regarding our
    product, Slo-Niacin (polygel controlled-release niacin) Tablets, Dietary
    Supplement.

Slo-Niacin Tablets have been used for cholesterol disorders in several
    studies that have been published in medical journals. I would be happy to
    send you a Slo-Niacin monograph and copies of these studies in the mail.

Please provide me with you name, address, and phone number (required for me
    to provide you with the requested product information).

Sincerely,

Justin Anderson, Pharm.D.
    Drug Information Associate
    Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc.
    6701 Evenstad Drive
    Maple Grove, MN 55369
    Phone: (800) 654-2299

Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Judge,

When you the data, summarize them here because we are not allowed to provide personal contact info.
    Thanx.

Maybe I'll call this gentleman and get the same info.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #11
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

I received the Slo-Niacin Monograph and the studies today. I can summarize fairly quickly but you may want to obtain them so that you can get more specifics (and give a better analysis than this C Biology student . Basically, as stated in Niacin for Lipid Disorders by W. Virgil Brown, MD (of Emory University), he notes that most patients tolerate sustained-release Niacin at doses of 2 g/day and Slo-Niacin (or other time released Niacin) has no more adverse effects than Niacin (at up to 12 grams/day) and gives equivalent efficacy in lowering LDL. One study at Mayo Clinic was most interesting to me; Low-Dose, Time-Release Nicotonic Acid: Effects in Selected Patients with Low Concentrations of High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol by Ray W. Squires, Phd (and others). In it, 63 participants in a cardiology program (rehabilitation-preventive) with a mean HDL of 34 and total of 223 were treated with low-dose, time release niacin (mean of 1,297 mg/day for a duration of 7.4 months. For the group, HDL increased a mean of 18%, total decreased 9% and triglycerides decreased 20%, among others. Of particular significance to you and I, at this mean level, uric acid concentrations were minimally increased. Also, that article mentions a study by Luria which studied 32 persons with a mean HDL of 39 and total of 232. The subjects were given 1000 mg/day of time released Niacin (my present dose . The HDL was increased to 28% (up to 50) but total was not affected by the treatment.
    The Brown study does mention gallbladder disease as a side effect of Niacin therapy??? Speaking of which, can you dig out that gall bladder flush recipe of yours? I'm thinking of doing it this weekend.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thanks judge,

That encourages me to up my dosage to 750 g. starting tonight.
    I HATE lines like:
    Quote:
    The HDL was increased to 28% (up to 50) but total was not affected by the treatment.
    It's so cheesy, like the "200 particpants in the Whiz-Bang Diet lost 'up to 150 pounds' in 6 months"...but (never mentioned is that the MEDIAN person gained 2 pounds.)

"UP TO" should be banned in any discussion of results, it is the stuff of car-salesman... "this car should last "up to 20 years." I feel similar about "mean values" and much prefer median values. Say there are 10 people in a poor village making $10,000/ per year with one making a million...the village is extraordinary rich with its mean income over $100 thousand a year, but poor for the median income earner of $10 thousand.

I was heartened by the absence of problems with dosages up to 12 grams.

Did the monograph say anything about concurrent use of statins?

I'd LOVE to see the breakdown of HDL improvement with doseage...perhaps, like statins, the largest marginal effects occur at the lower doseages.

Judge,

I'll post my method for the gall bladder flush on the Liver Disorders forum now.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-24-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
    jkhh
    (male)

jkhh HB User

Lenin,

Remember that the 12 gram result is with regular Niacin! There are 2 studies in the Monograph regarding Combination therapy.

1. 29 participants (whose baseline LDL was 215) took 500 mg Niacin (Slo-Niacin 1 g x 2/day was rotated after 12 months for 8 months x2) x 4/day with lovastatin 20mg/day and colestipol 10 g x 2/day. No clinical significant differences were noted between the Slo-Niacin and regular Niacin regimens in terms of uric acid, glucose, insulin or asparate levels. Basically, the results were +22% HDL, -39% Triglycerides, -54% LDL. The target LDL of 100 mg/dl was achieved at 8 months by those receiving the combo (with Slo-Niacin) while it was achieved by 52% by those who used regular Niacin.

2. The other was a 3 yr study involving 160 patients with extablished coronary disease and low HDL. There were 4 groups; Simvastatin + Niacin, Antioxidant Vitamins, Simvaastatin/Niacin and Antioxidant Vitamins, All Placebos.The winner was, drumroll please, Simvastatin and Niacin with -42%LDL, +26 % HDL, -36% TG, although the combo with Antioxidant
    vitamins achieved -15% of Lp(a). Also, the Antioxidant vitamins alone caused tryglicerides to increase by 36% but in combo with the statin and Niacin TGs went down a bit over 30%.

So, it would appear that combining the Niacin with the statin definitely has a drastic effect on the labs.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by judgejkh
    Can anyone point me towards studies involving Niacin (ESPECIALLY SLO-NIACIN) and its effectiveness in lowering ldl, total and increasing hdl? I chanced upon one study at the University of Washington concerning Slo-Niacin and Simvastatin but it appears to ongoing (or I can't figure out the results .

I tried Niaspan which is considered extended release, but the flushing was so bad (at 1000 mg). I felt my head and shoulders were going to explode. The slo-niacin is not as bad but I haven't checked my labs with it yet (been taking 500 mg x 2 for about 4 weeks now). My big concerns are effectiveness and liver toxicity.

Thanks for any advise or info that anyone can give me.
    Look for NO FLUSH Niacin that elimates those hot flashes. You ca find thes at most health food stores.

I've used it with NO fLUSHING FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #15
    johnnyo
    (male)

johnnyo HB User

I take the non-flushing niacin. My doctor is not fond of the side effects of "statin" drugs and recommended niacin to me. I did take the regular niacin for a while, but I was getting "head on fire", itchy body, and flushing about 3 times in a two week period. I have had NO side effects with the non flushing. I take 1000 mg [2 capsules] at dinner each day. In 4 months, I lowered my cholestral 42 points. I also had a liver test with my blood test and all was fine. I highly recommend this! John
    P.S. Walmart sells non flushing cheaper than anybody else I have found. [500 mg capsules] [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-22-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread