It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Has anyone heard of Benfotiamine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
    Nancy1961
    (female)

Nancy1961 HB User
    Has anyone heard of Benfotiamine?

I was just reading a neuropathy article where they mentioned Benfotiamine for neuropathy symptoms. I know it's a B-1 supplement, but am confused because I always read about B-12 as being the helpful one. Does any body know abou this if so, any results for numbness? Thanks, Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: Has anyone heard of Benfotiamine?

Nancy....although i have never tried it...i too have been reading good things about it. What is benfotiamine...its the fat soluble version of B-1 thiamine...Thiamine is good for neuropathy but its water soluble versions do little in the fatty neurons and their fatty sheaths so this fat soluble can penatrate into the nerves (neurons) and restore them ....at least on paper anyway..
    I just read the other day on Science Daily about a study where benfotiamine was given to type-2 diabetics in one group who ate high sugar meals and thiamine given to the other group and the ones who recieve benfotiamine had no sugar damage compared to the other group who had the regular B-1.
    So you might want to explore this just make sure to take it with some fat like all other fat soluble vitamins.....

Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

It does help in a lot of cases . Works for me , take it daily . Helped a lot with the pain in both feet and even in the knees . Still have the numbness though , think that will be permanent...Check it out at [removed].

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-15-2006 at 08:14 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
    EDDIE10
    (male)

EDDIE10 HB User
    Pain in thighs legs and upper back

Im confused about my pain. Gallbladder removed 6 months ago. Getting burning pain in my upper back and pain in deep throat..history of acid reflex but this is a new pain burning in upper back and on end of ribcage now pain in legs. Had a CT done today. Going crazy here!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Not sure if this belongs on neuropathy and not on gallbladder threads but i'll answer this becaused you asked....Does it happen when you eat meals especially fats? The Gallbladder produces bile which emulsifies fats (breaks down) so consuming fats without bile could cause pain. Try to add Lipase enzymes with Lecithin as these will do what bile does and see if that helps the pain.....

Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
    Oceandivvr
    (male)

Oceandivvr HB User

Benfotiamine - I tried it and had no relief what so ever, after 3 months of use, and I do mean zero improvement - I gave it up.

My neurologist has told me that there are a lot of people and companies preying on the pain of others and "recommending" their pills with "testimonials: that offer you only the persons first initial and, most likely, a bogus last name. If the testimonials were true, why not make it possible to contact that person? And, if the treatment is such a miracle, why has it not been announced and sold on TV? As always, it states on the paperwork or the package - "these claims not evaluated by the FDA" - meaning, - the claims are bogus.

I became so upset with my neurologist that he offered to set me up with a referral to the Mayo Clinic, if their opinion would ease my mind. Instead, I went on the Mayo Clinic's web site and, guess what?, - no known cure or treatment yet for the 25+-% of people with neuropathy symptoms that cannot be diagnosed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings ......

Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Yep your right about false testimonials out there and benfotiamine possibly not helping people.I have never tried it so i cannot comment on it personally but what i have discovered is as much as i love supplements and their antiaging effects that i have seen on myself is that with neuropathy only radically changing my diet is what helped. So i beleive that changing the diet First then adding some of supplements like Methylcobalamin or Benfotiamine can help. In the end its all how our Genes/Dna/Cell Proteins respond as we are different.....

Old 10-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
    numbtoes
    (female)

numbtoes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 6foot3
    Nancy....although i have never tried it...i too have been reading good things about it. What is benfotiamine...its the fat soluble version of B-1 thiamine...Thiamine is good for neuropathy but its water soluble versions do little in the fatty neurons and their fatty sheaths so this fat soluble can penatrate into the nerves (neurons) and restore them ....at least on paper anyway..
    I just read the other day on Science Daily about a study where benfotiamine was given to type-2 diabetics in one group who ate high sugar meals and thiamine given to the other group and the ones who recieve benfotiamine had no sugar damage compared to the other group who had the regular B-1.
    So you might want to explore this just make sure to take it with some fat like all other fat soluble vitamins.....

Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
    numbtoes
    (female)

numbtoes HB User

I have been taking 2 Benfotiamine per day for 2 weeks. I believe that there is a probability that thiamine and B2,5, and 6 will help neuro function. Now, as to whether neuropathy can be reversed--that is the question. If I see an improvement, I will tell everyone!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

I believe its good for alcholic neuropathy as they are usally B1 deficent, but still the affender [ alcohol ] has to be taken away before any healing can be done, and thats a very slow process.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
    thylantyr
    (male)

thylantyr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie100
    I believe its good for alcholic neuropathy as they are usally B1 deficent, but still the affender [ alcohol ] has to be taken away before any healing can be done, and thats a very slow process.
    This is a good point. People diagnosed with a deficiency, when treated for it,
    may see improvement. If there is no deficiency, then it may not work. But there is no reason
    not to try it for a while to see if it helps. Sure, someone will
    make money but that is the price you pay for your quest
    for relief. Your money will be spent somewhere, either on
    diet pills or doctors.

Last edited by thylantyr; 10-24-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by numbtoes
    I have been taking 2 Benfotiamine per day for 2 weeks. I believe that there is a probability that thiamine and B2,5, and 6 will help neuro function. Now, as to whether neuropathy can be reversed--that is the question. If I see an improvement, I will tell everyone!!!
    Neuropathy can be reversed, i should know have done it myself.
    It all depends on what is causing the destruction of the nerves, as i mentioned in Alcholic neuropathy, same as the other over 200 [known] reasons for neuropathy.
    I do believe that the family of B vitamins do help, especially b12 methylcobalamin, cynocobalamin is still affective if you can't get methyl, many will disagree with cyno but thats all i used and some shots of hydroxocobablamin.
    Finding the cause is the answer whether neuropathy can be reversed.
    I had small nerve damage and some large as well, the cause was prediabetes, picked up with a 3 hour glucose tolerance test.
    When i was first affected with this disease, i went from one doctor to another all of them give a differant diagnoses, some i am sure thought i was a nut case because my feet looked pink and healthy.
    One professor of neuroligy give me a nerve conduction test and quoted that i did not have any signs of peripheral neuropathy, what an idiot, small nerve damage cannot be measured with NC test only large nerve.
    To cut a long story short, i found a neuro that was an expert in neuropathy, he found the cause in the very first visit [ after blood testss] i cut out all high sugary carbs and supplemented with Vitamin B complex and a b12 and vit C,
    good luck, i hope you find the cause.

Closed Thread