It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Do I have Depression, or Anxiety? And what do I do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
    mikeryanrebecca
    (male)

mikeryanrebecca HB User
    Do I have Depression, or Anxiety? And what do I do?

I know that I have 1 of these, but I'm not sure how it's classified. I get very nervous and insecure in most social situations, not like a normal shy person though. Actually, when I go to class I have to wear at least 2 layers of shirts because I sweat A LOT when I am around others. The more people there are, the heavier I sweat. I have a lot of trouble sleeping, to the point where I go to bed at 1AM and don't fall asleep until 5AM, and wake up constantly. I also have recurrent dreams where my hair is falling out, my acne gets bad and everyone talks about it, and other very stressful dreams. Sometimes my heart just starts racing, even when I'm just sitting down. I worry constantly about EVERYTHING, almost to the point of obsessiveness. That is definitely at least partly why I can't sleep at night.

Here's where it seems like I veer towards depression too. I just get so down in the dumps sometimes and feel like my life is going nowhere. I have sad thoughts when I worry about when my parents are going to die and how devastated I'll be (I'm 19 years old btw). I try my best to avoid contact with people and sit in my room instead of going out because I'm so worried about looking like a fool. I'm a perfectionist, but at the same time I put things off because I feel so unmotivated. Even when I found out that there were girls in my hall that are attracted to me, I just couldn't accept that and now I avoid them as much as possible and worry that they'll see me when my acne looks bad. There's like 1000 other things that are constantly going through my head and I'm not sure what to do. I don't think I can take these feelings much longer so I'm probably going to see a doctor when I get the courage.

My question is: What do I have, Depression? Anxiety? Both? Also, what do you think I should do about it, especially medication-wise? Is there different treatments for Depression and Anxiety? Any insights would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User
    Re: Do I have Depression, or Anxiety? And what do I do?

Well let me first start out by saying I am not a Doctor so I can not give you a diagnosis. But I can tell you this "Most' Anxiety disorders work hand in hand with depression. Meaning some may have an anxiety disorder, but it doesn't create or trigger depression while others may become very depressed with living with anxiety, and the same for depression someone may be depressed but don't have an anxiety disorders. You mentioned your problems around people that sounds to me like some sort of Social Phobia, you then mention that you have trouble falling asleep and you obsess about thoughts that are negative this could mean you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder along with your social phobia. Which isn't uncommon~ meaning you can have two different types of anxiety disorders at the same time..
    Now thinking about your parents dying and "negative" thoughts about how you are going to feel when this happens is you projecting your fears into reality. Almost everyone fears death and fear of loosing a loved one,
    some more than others, but your anxiety is creating you to live in these fears now, before they even happen which is unhealthy and can and will cause anyone to feel sad and anxious because you are greaving a loss of your parents that hasn't even happened. You need to talk to your parents, see a doctor get a diagnosis and hopefully find a good therapist that could help you through the root of the cause. To answer you next question most anxiety medications in the SSRI family meaning anti~depressants treat of course depression as well as most anxiety disorders.. Your FIRST step is to talk to your parents, tell them how you feel.. Isolating yourself in your room will only make the anxiety worse and create more of a depression You need to address these feelings because they are REAL!!! and remember your not alone, there are so many others here on this board that are feeling the way you feel! Good Luck Boxerlover227

Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Only a doctor can give you the proper diagnosis but in my opinion you seem to be suffering from some type of anxiety. As far as meds go I would imagine something in the benzo family

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
    cutiepie70
    (female)

cutiepie70 HB User

it sounds mainly like Social Anxiety Disorder...a friend has it and she takes Paxil. Not sure if that's what you have...the sweating when you're with large crowds is for sure a symptom.

College students/people around your age are ripe for anxiety. It comes with the territory of "entering the real world."

There must be a quiz for that online somewhere. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
    cutiepie70
    (female)

cutiepie70 HB User

My friend with Social Anxiety had this info on the symptoms:

Intense fear of situations in which you don't know people
    Fear of situations in which you may be judged
    Anxiety about being embarrassed or humiliated
    Fear that others will notice you showing physical signs of anxiety
    Anxiety that disrupts your daily routine, work, school or other activities
    Blushing
    Profuse sweating
    Trembling
    Nausea
    Stomach upset
    Difficulty talking
    Muscle tension
    Confusion
    Palpitations
    Diarrhea

Any of these familiar?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
    mikeryanrebecca
    (male)

mikeryanrebecca HB User

Thanks to everyone for all of your great posts.
    cutiepie- I have almost all of those symptoms in social situations, with the exception of the stomach problems and diarrea. I completely freeze up, and try to avoid all people as much as possible. Another thing that I do without really noticing, is shorten my breath or stop breathing altogether when I pass by people on the street or just near people in general. I finally do notice when I have to catch my breath! There's so many other things that I do that I could probably fill up 5 pages. I'm actually getting really anxious about what I'm going to say when I finally meet with a therapist. I feel like I'll draw a complete blank, and forget to tell him all of the important things, and I won't get help.The thing is that I have a lot of symptoms that are associated with depression as well. I'm not even sure if that's possible. They seem like they would be almost opposites.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
    suzie8112
    (female)

suzie8112 HB User

I can so relate to what you're going through. I've had panic attacks most of my life, didn't realize that's what they were til I was 19 and they got really bad, to the point that I could only go two places: work and home. I've been dealing with this on and off for years (will be 35 in a few months) and they're worse over the last couple months. Especially social situations, highway driving (esp at night), sometimes going to work....I'm constantly obsessing, I have trouble sleeping at night (I could sleep til noon every day!) I feel sick, my heart goes into palpitations, I get hot and sweaty....I've tried a variety of meds, some good, some bad...I'm going to see someone next week and try and get on a course of treatment because right now I just take Xanax (to sleep, and when an attack hits) but that's only good for a few hours...I need something to help me FUNCTION again. I remember that feeling....it wasn't too long ago that I could take long drives without feeling out of control, that I could go out and have FUN, now tonight my bf wants to go to some bar to see his friends for a Halloween thing, and I'm scared to death about it. I've been sick all week which doesn't help (something going around) but then I don't know if part of the queasiness is my panic, or the bug??? So I'm praying he won't want to go after all, and I know I should trust him and say Hey, I'm not feeling well, you go...but I obsess over how hot he is, what if he meets someone else, etc...
    Sorry to ramble on about myself, I just wanted you to know I feel your pain...I also obsess about my loved ones passing, and I have to calm myself down...I'm glad I'm not the only one, because sometimes I honestly feel like I'm "unique" in the situation, no one understands, and I'm truly losing my mind.
    Good luck, I guess I shouldn't recommend meds because in doing research it seems that I've read some that haven't worked for me have worked for others, and vice versa....but I did have a good experience with Zoloft, I forget why I went off it, I think I thought it "stopped" working or I didn't need it....it's been so long and so many meds!
    Wellbutrin helped my moods, I'd like to go back on it, but I'm afraid it might make me more panicky (I was on it before but in conjunction with another med that made me gain weight)...so I see a new therapist next week.
    Let me know how you make out, and good luck. Hang in there. At least we all have each other and this board to "talk" about it!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

Mike, don't worry about what you're going to say to the therapist. I was really worried, I just started therapy 3 weeks ago. And there are times when I draw a blank, or my mind is racing with all these different things I want to say and I can't seem to put them in order. The best thing you can do is write these things down on paper and have it available with you just in case you freeze up with the therapist.

It is very possible to have anxiety and depression at the same time, and if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Anxiety will make you feel insecure, which lowers your self-esteem... which is related to depression. Anxiety will take a lot of energy away from you, which can cause depression. You can be depressed because of anxiety.

Go to a therapist, it'll help a lot... you'll understand things better. Until then, if you want to know more... you can look anxiety and depression up online, and learn more about how they work together. Good luck!

Last edited by JB68711; 10-27-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
    mikeryanrebecca
    (male)

mikeryanrebecca HB User

You guys have no idea how much your posts help me out. It feels good to know that maybe I'm not so crazy and I'm not alone.

Well, here's an interesting update: I just found out that BOTH sides of my family have a strong history of anxiety. My mom just told me that my grandparents on my dad's side of the family are both on Xanax, my grandpop on my mom's side has anxiety (this has always been pretty obvious). Also, my mom's sister takes Zoloft, and her brother is on Prozac. I think I heard somewhere that these things can be genetic. Is this possible? My mom told me that my grandmom can't even go into a grocery store. I had no idea.

Closed Thread