It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• birth control after CIN III

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User
    birth control after CIN III

I was wondering if any of you have encountered this problem.

To give you a quick summary, I had CIN III and a LEEP done on 10/4/06. I had a baby back in June of this year (not sure that will make a difference here).

Anyway, I was talking to my gyn about birth control. I was on the nuvaring before I concieved my baby and was hoping to be put back on it. He told me that with "precancerous lesions" of the cervix this isn't a recommended form of birth control due to the hormones and gave me a pill instead. However, when I read the pill insert it came with the same warning as the ring. Now I'm a little nervous to use anything because I don't want to aggrivate the situation.

Have any of you taken birth control after the fact and did it have any negative effect?

(Sorry, I didn't post this in the birth control thread because many woman there may not be familiar with this situation. Thank you.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User
    Re: birth control after CIN III

Well, I was on the pill (ortho novum lo) and my gyn said she thought it was fine to keep taking it. However, I did my own research and saw that some doctors do believe that the hormones in any hormone-based bc can exascerbate dysplasia. I took that as a signal to flush my pills down the toilet. But again, it seems different docs have different opinions, so maybe the jury is still out. I just didn't want to risk it. I have CIS/CINIII and my LEEP wasn't able to get it all, so I want to take every possible precaution that I can to keep it from recurring or getting worse. But that's just me. Perhaps I'm paraniod!

Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

Thank you SippyCup! I felt like I was being paranoid when I posted the question. It's nice to know that there are others who understand.

After I read the warnings to my husband his first question was "did the ring help to bring it out?". I had a clear pap right before I started it and used it for 6 months. I went off it, got pregnant, and then it showed up on the pap they did for my first prenatal visit 10 months later. Maybe it was all a coincidence, but it has definately made me wonder.

I was lucky that my LEEP got it all and I want to take every precaution to ensure it doesn't come back. I'm going to go with my first instinct and not use anything.

Thank you again. I hope everything works out for you!

Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
    SippyCup
    (female)

SippyCup HB User

You know, I had a similar experience. I'd had two kids in a relatively short amount of time (they are 20 months apart) so for about three years in a row I wasn't on any hormonal-based BC. Anyway, at the pap I had in order to get on BC last May they found a minor abnormality in my pap. I went on the pill last June and five months later I was at CINIII/CIS. Now maybe the pap was just wrong and this stuff had been in me for ages. But due to my two pregnancies I'd been examined a zillion times, so you'd think they'd have seen something if the dysplasia had been there at that point. Anyway, it seemed like an odd coincidence, and so that's why I ditched the pill. If you google terms like, "Birth control and Cervical dysplasia" you'll see some interesting info that does support our theory.

Hope yours is gone forever!!

Closed Thread