It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• What is Lyrica and is it better than Neurotin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User
    Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

esplain wearing layers or you are soaking wet. do you have sweats at night? i do and they are awful. how does wearing layers help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Mss,

I hear you about taking pain meds and still living at high pain levels. THAT is NOT pain management. I read somewhere that you should reach at least 75% pain relief with pain meds and that most docs only prescribe enough to reach about 20%. I still have pain, but not NEARLY as high as before.

I too did well with Oxycontin (extended relief). However, from what I learned that you have to keep adjusting it higher more quickly than other pain meds for it to keep having same pain relief.

I'm taking Meth and am kinda concerned about liver problems in that Meth stays in your system (liver) longer than most pain relievers, thus the longer term effect after you take it for a while. Method does NOT give immediate relief, so if I'm having high levels, taking another dose of meth will not do the trick. Right now I use Vicodin ES for breakthru, which does help an itsybitsy bit.

Skooze/Mss - have either of you tried Methadone? It takes awhile to act, but from what I understand it last longer. There are sooo many different pain meds.

As for sleepiness.... Lyrica is notorious for that and the biggest problem I've seen from people taking it. But almost everyone who has used or is using it reports it helps their burning pain. And, yes, you are right about trade offs. The sleepiness does get better tho.

A good doctor is sooo hard to find. Especially a good pain doc who knows more about pain management than giving out pills... There are other ways to control pain other than narcotics to which we become tolerant of so very quickly...

Mss, what I've learned about injections is that they provide longer periods of relief each time you have one. I will pray you have a couple weeks of relief this time. I think each time our pain is relieved for a period of time, its gives our body time to "regenerate" which is so important.

This board is great in that we dont feel so alone in our pain. I joined the pain management board initially and you both might want to visit there as you wil find out a lot about the differnet pain relief techniques used for many different conditions.

Well, I had a migraine today and am still whipped from that. My post is probably repetitive and fuzzy as I lose my thought as soon as I finish it lol..

I think of you both and pray you will find good pain relief and good days soon.

Barb

Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #18
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

maybe i typed it funny, but i USED to have bad pain relief, but have had much better lately (except for the past two weeks, but we've had bad weather and i started my period - all of which affect my pain). i am on 75 mcg of fentanyl patches and oxycodone for BT pain (5-10 mg, but i think i could up that dose these past couple of weeks ). my doc suggested upping the fentanyl, but i'm not ready to make that commitment. i want to wait until the weather is stable to be sure it isn't weather affecting me so much rather than me needing to up my meds. before the weather changes were out of control here, i was finding 30-50% relief of pain (depending on the time of day really), so i think i was doing pretty well considering. i am at about 50-75% right now, but some days are better, especially when it is nice out, which is why i think it is the weather. it is just so variable. however, i still have a pretty sedentary live. i cannot do laundry, clean, or any of those types of things without getting a lot of out of control pain. only on days when the pain is out of control am i bedridden and usually just part of the day - after i rest a bit i can do more.

who was it that gets sweats? i was curious about that, as i get sweats at night and wonder if it is related. i also sometimes find my face gets real sweaty during the day out of the blue (and sometimes other places, but usually my face).

about the injections today, i was only able to have one. i was supposed to have two procedures today, one for my tailbone pain and one for the sympathetic block. i did the tailbone one, as i am having trouble sitting and since that is about the only thing i can tolerate to do long periods of time, outside of lying down, i needed that! so, i may try to go in next week for the sympathetic block, but it is hard to find childcare for four children (three of whom i homeschool)!

also, for everyone here, do you find you get migraines now more than before you got the RSD? i do and wonder if it is related. what do you take for the migraine, as my pain meds don't help. i have to take esgic plus (i can't take imitrex and things like that, as it affects my heart).

thanks!

oh, and thanks for the prayers and i keep everyone here in my thoughts and prayers, too. just knowing someone else is out there feeling as bad as i do, saddens me. this is not a condition in which you wish you weren't alone. i do wish i was alone sometimes, because knowing i'm not alone in it saddens me that others go through it!

oh, and i do go to the PM board sometimes and a few times to the back board and the spinal cord injury board, as those both apply to me, as well.

Last edited by msswank95; 11-03-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Msswanks and Barb!

I haven't been to the pain mgt board, but it sounds like it's worth checking out. It probably would do all of RSD'rs good to see how others cope with pain. Barb I haven't tried methadone, and after all that pattihabs went through, I really don't think I'd want to. Plus if it's harder on your liver, I wonder why that is, my liver can use all the breaks it could get. lol & crossing my fingers.

I get alot of sweats mssw. What i mean by when I wear layers, is a tank top with a sweater, with a jacket if needed. I take off to adjust to the temperature when I go out. AC is really hard on RSD, and here in Hawaii it seems like every store is freezing cold. I too, get really hot in the face from sweating.At night I I have a bed full of pillows, and if one gets wet, I just switch it with another. I constantly get up in the night to use the restroom, and if it's too cold or hot the fans come on. I'm 46, and I havent' had my period since I got RSD, not that I miss it, but according to my bloodwork, I not menapausal yet. I don't even want to hit that stage with RSD Plus there is enough hormones in my house with 2 teenage girls. How do you homeschool your kids?? I can't wait till mine leave the house to go to school or work. I think that would be a full time job and add stress. Well wishing you a pain free tomorrow. Aloha Skooze

Old 11-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Hi Skooze and Mss...

Wish we could sit down and chat in messenger or something... lol I am just going to respond to some of the stuff you guys have said. It's too hard to keep straight which of you said what ...

As for the ol' sweats, I am menopausal (soon to be 56). You both are too young for that. Although the 40's do begin with perimenopause. I still think that is too early for those kinds of sweats.

What I do know is many of the narcotic drugs causes sweats and sensitive skin. When I took Oxycontin I had sweats and my skin would get hives at the slightest scratch. I would just scratch an itch for a second and my whole forearm would turn red. I also found that when I used the brand instead of the generic, the sweats and itching got better. But when our insurance changed I found out the brand is over $100 per script - yikes !!

So, those sweats you girls are talking about may be a side effect of the pain meds you are taking. You will find GREAT information about pain meds at the Pain Management Site. That is where I first when to find out about the drugs I was taking. There are very many knowledgeable people there.

Weather affects we greatly also and Mss I think it is good that you wait to adjust your meds. Maybe we can all move to where Skooze lives and enjoy some sun for a change.

As for my liver... I don't know what is going on. I had high cholesterol for a while - around 280's. It used to be low. Then this summer when my pain levels had dropped due to pain meds my blood work showed my cholesterol to only be 174 !! I don't know what is going on with my liver. I have read an article here and there that said pain can affect cholesterol levels. May be true. I used to have my liver checked once in a while and in a few months I will have it checked again. I still can't believe that 174..... When my cholesterol was that high I tried some statin. They gave me more aches and pains than I already have, so no more of those things...

I've had migraines all my life. Finally, 4 years ago my neuro started using botox on me. It took a while, but I got success with it in 6 months. Since menopause, my migraines have lessened, but I still get botox injections every 3-4 months. As a migraine abortive I use Amerge. All the others had side effects. I have read Amerge works best for women who have migraines that are hormone related. Hormones were one of my bggest triggers. That and weather. Two things I can't control lol... Since my hormones are all used up now, that only leaves the weather. And I know a front is coming in before the weatherman does because my head feels it.

I can't do much around the house w/o adding pain also. My hubby is wonderful and does a lot for me. I force myself to do laundry, but know I will hurt more later for carying and reaching up to hang all those things. I am right handed, so I try to do as much as I can left-handed so I don't kick up the pain in my shoulder/neck/scapula/arm area. I have nerves that are entrapped in my brachial plexus and depending on much "crushing" of those nerves I do, I can keep my pain pretty much under control with my meds. If I ride in a car more than a half hour, that will kick up my pain levels also. Strange isn't it? I don't know why riding in car makes my pain worse.

OK... I'm blabbing now. In summary (lol). The things I can say for certain....

Pain meds can cause sweats because I had them with Oxycontin. Mss try Amerge as a migraine abortive if you havent tried it yet. It isnt used a lot so most migraine peeps havent heard of that one.

Those are two things I can confirm and offer help for. This Board is great as it is place for all of us to come and share our concerns and give support to others. I know it makes our problems seem a little smaller if we can help each other...

luv and prayers to you both.

barb

Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #21
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

thanks so much, barb! luv and prayers to you and skooze, too, from me!

I, too, wish we could chat somewhere! this board is sometimes too restrictive. i cannot believe they don't have PM, but i understand the sensitive nature of medical conditions and especially on sites where we are using opioids and other sensitive drugs that could be abused. i definitely know the logistics of it, so i'll just take what i can get!

about layering, i understand what skooze means now! i thought she was layering to avoid the sweats! lol! i couldn't figure out that one! haha! i need to layer on occasion, too. i actually have these strips on my feet to keep a record of the temp difference in my legs for a few days. currently, my right foot runs 6-8 degrees cooler than my left, which stays at a fairly normal temperature unless it gets cold in the house and i don't have on my fluffies! i love that word! ha! my right leg is the one affected. boy, i think i would love living in hawaii! i've never been, but have been bugging dh about going in the future.

having the sweats with meds makes sense. i was wondering about that for a while. ever since i found these boards i have also frequented the PM board and found it very helpful. sometimes i get a quicker response there than here. i wish this board was more active. no one around me understands and i need someone to "talk" to quite often. at least you and skooze are here fairly regularly to "hear" me out.

can they do surgery for you, barb, for the entrapment, or are they worried about the RSD?

weather affects my RSD, as well as my migraines! i need to look up about Amerge, as my heart is very sensitive to a lot of medicines. i have to be very careful with what i take or even try for that matter.

i wish my hubby would help out more, but he works awful hours, so i don't blame him too much. he is looking for a new job right now hoping that he won't have to work as much. sometimes he'll work 80-100 hours a week! the kids help pick up, which is nice, and we have someone come and clean the house every other week. i wish we could afford her once a week. right now, someone from my church comes and picks up laundry once a week for me. i wish i could have that forever, but i can't put that burden on them. i feel guilty every week she shows up! but she wants to do it for me. still makes me feel strange. i do a little, my underwear and sometimes sheets or towels or if my kids need something right away. i do homeschool, but two days a week they go to a private school that caters to homeschoolers and teaches them things like latin, grammar, math concepts, and such, and they have uniforms for that, so instead of having several sets of uniforms, i wash frequently. the baby goes to preschool twice a week, on the girls home days, so i can focus on schooling them more. they are getting more independent, so i can usually just list what they need to do and let them get at it and if they need help we set aside an hour or two for that later so i can rest if i need to. the private school has a curriculum that i follow, so i don't have to do lesson planning anymore! yea! we switched to this last year and so far love it, for the most part. i don't really like their math or phonics, but oh well. give and take. i hated lesson planning when i did homeschooling all by myself!

what else am i missing? i can't think.

if you think of something, just ask. my mind is blank!

oh, i've had a pretty good pain day today. all i have taken is my muscle relaxer (besides the patch of course) since about midnight! yay!

oh, i just remembered. i also can't stand to be in the car for long, especially driving. because it is my right leg, using that pedal so much really gets to me and i usually have to rest quite a bit after being in a car for a while. sometimes i have had to fly while my family drives (we can't afford to have a family of six fly most of the time). it was nice when the baby could fly free, but now that he is two he has to ride in the car. he is pretty good, though. although, he did get to be a bit of a toot in the plane and that is hard on the passengers! even flying, though, can be hard if they don't let me sit on the aisle with the extra leg space.

anyway, this is a novel again. ttyl!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Hi Mss,

Wow. Your average day just wore me out !!

Maybe you overlooked it cuz it was waaay back and, of course, this is an RSD board. I don't have RSD... at least I don't think I do. I've only had this pain for about 3 and a half years. My pain is severe. More severe than what can be explained by diagnostics. My doctor thinks its something similar to RSD in that he thinks with all my untreated pain levels over the past 3 years has cause my central nervous system to get "out of whack". He compared it to being in the "ON" position and not knowing how to turn off as my brain has been trained for pained (lol I'm a poet and don't even know it).

I think another diagnosis could be CRPD (Complex Regional Pain Disorder). Where a region on your body becomes very sensitive to pain because of bombardment of painful conditions.

My pain started in my neck about 1995... I really think that is where it began. In 2003 I started exercising and using weights. Then my shoulder began to pinch. I was misdiagnosed and mistreated with PT when I actually did have a bone spur and tear which was causing that pain. By the time I had that operation, other pain developed. My scapula started to wing.

Frankly, I think due to dyskinsia (using wrong muscles to compensate), my scapula started to wing and so on and so forth. After 3 years of continued pain, and one surgery under my belt already, I went to a University Hospital for another opinion. Immediately, that doctor told me after 4 EMGs my doctors still hadn't tested all the nerves involved with my pain.

He did another EMG and also gave me a cortisone injection in my brachial plexus. He was first doctor to do that even though I complained REPEATEDLY the worst of my pain was in that area. At this point, all I was using for pain was vicodin, and I only had enough in each script to use 3 or 4 tablets a day. So, you can understand how after 3 years of pain, I wasn't being treated properly for it....

Anyhow, that shot relieved 50% of my pain. I almost dropped to my knees and kissed his feet lol. Of course, it was the lidocaine working on my brachial plexus nerves. It actually helped the pain in my neck and scapula. Nerves are amazing in how they connect everywhere. It was an hour and half drive to OSU and I thought I was gonna die by the time I got there !! This shot allowed me to ride home in relative comfort. Amazzzzing. I thought I was healed ..... not really, but it felt like it.

My EMG he ordered showed brachial plexus entrapment and he then told me he was doing a "new" surgury to release BP entrapment and that the surgery would mimic that shot. I was also having a lot of tingling in my little finger. I elected for the surgery.

Now, this is where I wonder if I took the right path.... About the same time as I saw him I began with Pain Management (took docs 3 years to refer me). I was prescribed Oxycontin. The pain relief was amazing with that also.

My surgery wasn't scheduled for 6 weeks. When I was going for my surgery, my pain levels were being controlled quite nicely and I almost backed off. My only hope with this surgery that it would allow me to stop having to use narcotics. The surgery was VERY hard on me from a physical standpoint. The actual "work" on my shoulder was less invasive than my first where they had to reattach a tendon to my bone. This doc released my pec minor to make more room for my brachial plexus nerves and then he did some kind of nerve desection. It didnt help my pain very much, but what it did help was the tingling in my little finger which was, before that, almost constant.

So, here I am two surgeries later (6 months post-op from second), still with high levels of pain restricted to the right side of my body. Docs can't come up with a very good diagnosis to explain all my pain on right side. They haven't tried very hard in my opinion. A few MRI's which were messed up...
    and that is another longass story of things going wrong. I was even injected during an arthrogram and "lost" for almost 2 hours when they were supposed to image within 15 mins of this injection....

Sorry for long post, but this is just a brief. It's a long 3 years of going down the wrong path and doctors, not having an easy diagnosis with me, chose to just "move on" and let me hang with pain. That's why I went to OSU. I exhausted almost every doctor in my area... lol

I believe RSD is much worse than my condition and it seems to have symptoms I don't have, like the swelling and reddness in an area. I don't have any of that. The injections the doc wishes to do will help in diagnosis me further. Right now all they can come up with is Thoracic Nerve Outlet Syndrom, entrapment of brachial plexus, shoulder impingement and the Central Nervous System Pain Disorder (??). I hate not have a better explanation for this pain. To look at me and see my shoulder range, no one would believe I h ave this much pain. Its a deep, stabbing, burning, twisting pain. Like a hot spear has been driven through the right side of my upper chest and comes out by my scapula in back. When its bad, its horrible. Right now its breaking through and my right arm is aching horribley and I must stop typing... it was worth the "chat".

It's hard to get to know each other in these posts. But I enjoy getting to know you guys. There is a
    Oh, before I quit. Mss can't you check into having housekeeping for you covered by some kind of social service? With all you have to do, you might find some coverage for that.

Glad to hear you had a good pain day also. Those days of low pain are a joy!

hugs from your buddy,

Barb

Last edited by moderator2; 11-05-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #23
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User
    Re: What is Lyrica and is it better than Neurotin???

Hi Barb and Mss!

Msswank, do you have a nickname? Maybe we could call you Nurse Swank. I read on your other thread, before your baby hit the send key, about your nursing and medical background. I consisder tht a big bonus for all of here, because some of your dx's or things to have people's doctors check for kinda remind me of a House episode. lol. It's like whoa who would of thought that's what's causing this.

Anyhow Barb, I remember reading about certain disorders that mimic RSD, and thoracic outlet syndrome was one of them. That's what I was first DX'd with. I also have a shoulder impingement, subacromial Type 1. Barb which one is yours? My dr's couldn't decide which surgery to do first, the neck or the shoulder, and it was like this wicked game of ping pong being bounced back between orthos and neuros and 2nd opinions. In the mean time my condition was getting worse. So I took them to the dept. of labor, and 9 months later when my hearing came up the neck won. I too was being treated with 4 vicodens a day, which wasn't enough to treat my pain Long story short RSD can mimic many disorders, and not all the signs of it can be present at the same time. I sometimes have swelling, depending how active I am. I definitely have the color changes-red, white, blue, then purple--oWWW is the worst. Today I was at Macy's getting a makeover, and it was so cold in the store, that when I went to stand up, my left foot was completely numb and I almost fell face forward if someone wouldn't have caught me. The worst pain I still feel is in my shoulder and neck. It feels like someone ripped my arm out of it's socket and put it back in crooked. Like a Barbie doll. Kinda like what your describing. I pray that the doctors at your new hospital can help treat it. Thanks for your clarification on the pain meds & sweating. That makes sense.
    And Mss, you silly goose. Layering is dress in layers, so you adjust to your comfort level. Hey I have fluffies too. And flannel pj's. Fabric really matters with RSD doesn't it? I do admire you for home schooling your kids. I guess you keep plenty busy to keep your mind off the pain. Just don't overdue it.

And living on an island is hard in a car. The roads are mostly one lane each way, and if it rains, like it did 2 days ago, I was stuck in my car for 1 hour do to flooding. If there's an accident it can be up to 4 hours before they open the road again! So it hurts me too be in a car too for a long period of time. I think being in one position for too long isn't good for any of us. Especially when you're pain is in your right leg. So far that's the only part that hasn't been affected. Knock on wood. Glad to hear you're both having a low pain day. Must be the full moon. Aloha Skooze

Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #24
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

hiya Skooze...

Your pain sounds very similar to mine. I too have been bounced from neuro to ortho because my symptoms are vague. Duirng all of this time, my pain levels were never treated properly. And, this is part of my problem now. They fixed part of what was wrong (the tendon tear) but I was left with continuing pain for over 2 years and thats what my body has learned.

I may be in the early stages of some other disease process... I don't know. I have had people with MS suggest that is my problem also. I recently had a thoracic MRI which had CFS motion artifacts which might or might not be indicate of lesions.... they wouldn't repeat the MRI for me, so that is another inconclusive useless test I went thru... those lesions might be in my C5-6 - T1 area and can also be contributing to my pain.... who the hells knows right now. I can only sit back and wait until things get so bad they show better during imaging.

Howover, the next imaging I ever do will be sitting or standing... That laying down stuff seems unreasonable if you have a compressin problem. There is a place in Kentucky that does standing MRI's and I might check into that if ever I have to do another spinal MRI. I heard lots of things are found better that way that dont show up laying down.

Well, I did too much over the weekend and my arm is killing me (oh, its the right side btw). I even got unlimited long distance so I could start calling my online buddies instead of chatting online with them becaue my arm gets too painful to type many days.

I guess we all should give thanks we can at least do something in our lives. Many can't even type becasue of their limitations. That's how I cope many a day... think about those less fortunate and give thanks I have the ability I do. If my pain can be controlled, I feel fortunate that I can still see, walk, talk, and use my limbs to some degree.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

wishing you painfree moments...

Barb

Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #25
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

well, yesterday and today made up for my good day saturday. must have been the numbing stuff making me feel a bit better.

you know, you don't have to have redness and swelling to have RSD. if you look at the rsd foundation information (can't post addy so google it) they even have an open letter to the American Medical Association fussing at them for binding doctors and giving insurance outlets to deny treatment by making rigid diagnostic criteria that isn't really applicable. there are around eight signs and symptoms, but they don't have to all be present simultaneously for you to have it. some you may never have, some may come and go, etc.

however, that being said, i was thinking, in the back of my head, about thoracic outlet syndrome the other day after reading your post and couldn't think of the term! yes, that can cause severe pain!

i don't have all of the symptoms and some symptoms come and go, but mainly my body temperature in my right leg, especially the foot, is about 6-8 degrees less than the left, i have lost around 1 inch of muscle mass in my right calf so far. i have bone pain, or what feels like it anyways (sometimes i worry if i have bone cancer it is so bad!), muscle pain, skin pain. i have lots of skin sensitivity. it feels prickly when i am touched and occasionally really hurts to be touched. cold makes it really bad - it is excrutiating to feel the cold on my leg. my skin a lot of times looks mottled and my right foot is very pale compared to the left and it is quite frightening. i have never had redness or swelling. breezes can cause discomfort and even pain. weather strongly affects how i feel. i have really bad muscle spasms in my calf and it feels like the muscles are tied in knots. i do have burning pains quite often and sometimes they feel like a hot screwdriver is being jabbed into my muscle down to the bone. i can't walk without a cane most of the time and sometimes even need a wheelchair. very painful. i can feel all of this on top of the fentanyl and BT meds sometimes, so i can't imagine how bad it has gotten without the meds. i was on pain meds before i decompensated and got to this point due to the spinal cord injury and a back surgery, so thankfully i have had some coverage at least. anyways, i wasn't "diagnosed" until i went to a neurologist for a follow-up EMG/NCV when he was holding my leg and said is your leg always this cold? and look how small your leg has become! well that scared the crap out of me (the smallness part, i had gotten used to the cold part and thought it was a nerve problem, but didn't think much of it - i had so many nerve problems because of the spinal cord injury). anyways, he said i think we have something sympathetic going on here and sent me back to my spinal surgeon who sent me out to other doctors, etc. i responded to a sympathetic block, so they said it was sympathetically maintained pain and "likely" RSD. and that is where i am left right now, still getting workup done.

i do know there are some surgeries available for TOC, but from what i understand the success rate isn't overwhelming. maybe that has changed? i am not really sure. sometimes i think surgeries make things worse, though!

i wish you luck and a painfree day, and another day, and another . . .

in any case, i am glad you have a good doctor taking care of you now. sorry for the problems you have had!

oh, and what kind of social service could help me with housecleaning? not sure i understand what to do there.

barb, about the typing issue, i have a friend who had to get voice recognition to type and this helped tremendously. she was able to stay in touch on line that way.

Last edited by msswank95; 11-06-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #26
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

thanks, skooze. you can call me whatever you want, as long as it is nice!

i guess i do have some color changes. like i said above, the skin, especially on the foot, often looks mottled and blotchey and sometimes has even gotten a tad blue at the toes. so far, i am mainly affected in the right leg and lower back, but sometimes lately have gotten some mild symptoms in my right arm. i am right-handed, so i can't imagine if it goes full blown into my arm! yikes!

i was only on norco 10 mg four times a day for a while and finally asked my physiatrist what the goal of pain management was and explained how even with the meds i was still at an 8 most often and sometimes at a 10. he thought that is how i was off meds! he felt so bad for me and changed my meds up.

wishing you a painfree day.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #27
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Barb!

Yes I agree with your other friends that you are in the beginning of some disease, which will dx itself with time. I like the idea of a sitting up or standing MRI to show compression. I've heard of it too before. My last MRI in 2/2006, showed severe degenerative disc disease from C2- C7 with many bone spurs. How much worse can it get than that I agree with mss about getting via voice activated typing software. I have it. It'[s hard to set up, anyd time consuming. But at least your hands don't cramp up. Are the lesions you are talking about bone spurs are lesions?? I have pea size bumps on my left and right leg on the outer edge, and anything that touches them sends me to the moon. I wonder if anyone else has these visable signs. Should start a seperate post for that. I agree with you about being grateful for what we do have. I pray that yours doesn't spread. Mine is in my legs now and my jaw. I need some dental work, but I'm too afraid. Funny on my bone scan, it showed the jaw has hyper sensitive. Sounds very expensive to me, thus I procastinate.
    Nurse Swank, since you responded to your block, your dr. was correct that you have sympathetic maintained pain. I didn't, thus this monster is setting up house where ever it sees fit. Are they planning on giving you more blocks?? Thank you for backing me up about not showing all the signs and symptoms of RSD. That's why this is such a mystery. When were you dx'd? RSD brain. lol! I pray it doesn't spread to your dominate arm. You might then have to change your home school. Maybe that's what makes that right hand hurt?? Just a thought.

Sure is pretty quiet around here lately. I wonder how Ben is doing, and Patty, and Sharon, and Robbin and wow, looks like alot. I pray everyone is doing fine and please drop us a note and let us know. To a better tomorrow. Aloha Skooze

Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #28
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: What is Lyrica and is it better than Neurotin???

Hi Skooze,

Thanks for asking. I'm here . I basically come here every day, but might not post if there is nothing I can help anyone with. I'm watching the election returns right now...very early, but still interesting. I love Election Day! Take care, everyone and thanks again, Skooze.

Sharon

Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skooze

I pray it doesn't spread to your dominate arm. You might then have to change your home school. Maybe that's what makes that right hand hurt?? Just a thought.
    it is mainly my upper back, scapula, and shoulder and upper arm that are having some problems, not my hand yet. however, i don't do much physically with my arm with homeschooling. i teach and they write or whatever, and a lot of what they do they do independently and i just check and give guidance and tutoring when needed, since they get most of their new principles and information taught at the private school, so i only teach two days a week and with that not have to do much. we have been using this set up - part home and part private - for a little over a year now and it is so much easier than straight homeschooling! takes the pressure off, mostly anyways.

about the bone spurs, they can be dangerous. i have a friend who one day was found at the bottom of her shower nearly dead and paralyzed. they thought she had a stroke, but found that her bone spur was boring into her spinal cord and had done permanent damage. she got some use back in her body, but was almost permanently paralyzed from neck down (as it was c-spine) and they said she was lucky, but her hands are permanently frozen and she has trouble going to the bathroom and pain all over her body (like we don't sympathize with that). definitely not something you want to wait around about. keep an eye on that, okay!

about other members, i tried to post to some old posts and bring it up to see if more would post, but haven't seen anything so far. hope all are well.

Last edited by msswank95; 11-07-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #30
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

i hate election day!!! my husband is glued to the TV and i am watching dancing with the stars and surfing the net on my laptop.

i am about to have to quiz my girls on spelling, so better get off the computer!

Closed Thread