It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• My doctor told me Klonopin is the strongest benzo out there....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #16
    AnnabelleLee777
    (female)

AnnabelleLee777 HB User
    Angry Re: My doctor told me Klonopin is the strongest benzo out there....

Klonopin: My doctor recently switched me from 1mg Xanax 4 times daily to 1 mg klonopin 2 times daily. Well, I started taking the klonopin, and it had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever.

I went back to taking my xanax. I have major back issues (chronic pain) and I find that the xanax also works as a muscle relaxor for me, and actually works better than vicodine when I take 2 or 3 mg at a time (which my doc doesn't like me doing) but I don't see why it is so bad if it is helping my back pain. Thats why I have my anxiety most of the time, because I live in chronic pain and my future looks grim to me!

I just called recently for a refill on my xanax, and they said no-"patient is on clonazepam" even tho I explained why I went back to taking the xanax. So I am super ****** and really need to vent. I am sick of living in pain and fear all the time.

I am sick of always calling my doctor for more vicodine. I think she just thinks I am a pill junkie. But I am not. Xanax and vicodine are the only things right now keeping me from going off the deep end. It's the only way I can live any sort of life.

Just needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
    JONO IN DARWIN
    (male)

JONO IN DARWIN HB User
    Re: My doctor told me Klonopin is the strongest benzo out there....

Strength is relative - generaly, all benzodiazapines have similar absolute potency, although the relative potency per milligramme or tablet may vary between brands

Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #18
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

For many years I took .50mg of ativan as needed. I would sometimes go months without needing it and sometimes I needed it twice a day for months. It worked..but for very short times.

Yes, the half life is much longer for klonopin than the other benzos. And it is much longer than 8 hours. But it is correct that other benzos are about 4 hours tops.

Eventually my anxiety was pretty much a constant with panic attacks (after I had my daughter), I needed something on a maintenance basis. I have been on just about everything in the book during the past 15 years. All along never hearing of klonopin. I went to a new Psych and it was the first thing he put me on. It was my miracle!! I take .50mg in the morning and .50mg at night. No side effects. No anxiety (for the most part...I do have my bad days, but it is 100 times less intense and about 99 percent less frequent).

I fear that one day I will lose my Psych and I will have a hard time finding another as open minded, intelligent and willing to give my the Rx indefinitely. He says there would be nothing wrong with me being on it forever. And I have no problem with that either.

Anyway...that is my take on it.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
    Blackdog38ca
    (male)

Blackdog38ca HB User

I have been on it a couple times (Clonazepam) and right now I am on a dosage of 0.37mg a day (as well as starting Effexor). I have anxiety but also a lot of physical symptoms such as burning and nausea, so its hard to tell where the physical ends and the mental begins.

I found that it helped me a lot for about 4 days and then I started gradually feeling the way I was again - return of the physical symptoms full force. Still makes me drowsy though.

I did know that it can be habit forming and that the effects can wear off at the same dosage, but that soon?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #20
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

BlackDog,

The symptoms you may be feeling are probably related to the Effexor. Most times a doctor will prescribe a Benzo with an anti-depressant to ease the initial anxiety effects caused by the anti-depressant. Unfortunately, that is how people do things now. The best solution for anxiety is the Benzo on it's own as a long term solution. Very few side effects and it is more effective than the anti-depressants everyone is on. The only problem is the withdrawl can be very dangerous if done suddenly, so if you start taking the drug, you may need to slowly taper back off over a long period of time. I would be willing to bet that most of the rebound anxiety you are having is a direct result of the Effexor. They say the anxiety will decrease and eventually go away, but I have never made it long enough to see. LOL.

Good luck.

Closed Thread