It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Remeron anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #46
    cecropia
    (female)

cecropia HB User
    Re: Remeron anyone?

anxiousagain,
    I am on buspirone(buspar) like anxiousinj. I take 20mg. split into 4 doses. I tried the ssri's and couldn't tolerate the side effects. I have tried wellbutrin also, didn't last only a week on that one. I asked my dr. about remeron and she said no, because I have problems with dizziness too much. No one here has mentioned being dizzy on remeron so I don't know where she is coming from on that one. I was on xanax 14yrs. ago for about a month and I will never forget the side effects of coming off. I have not taken any benzos since then. I would take the benzos again if it meant saving my life because nothing else was working, but I would also want some guarantee that I could stay on it forever so I wouldn't have to go through the withdrawal again. Anyway as a last resort I have been taking St. John's Wort for my depression for about a month now and have just upped my dose to the allowed 3 per day about two weeks ago. It might be all in my mind but I feel it is working or else the buspirone is also finally working which also has some weak anti depressant qualities. I have been on the buspirone since July 1st, so I'm thinking it is also starting to work. It can take 4 to 6 months for buspirone to really take effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #47
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

ok ladies ----- here's the update on my remeron use. after about 4 weeks the 15 mg wasn't doing anything for me. i started eating non-stop and just laying around all day. went to see the psychiatrist on the 31 st of oct. and he said he was going to raise it to 30 mg. and added deseryl since i still wasn't sleeping good. only took the deseryl twice as he said to use it as needed for sleep. after taking the 30 mg. of remeron 5 nights i ended up as depressed as i was and laying in bed thinking constantly about what i could eat next. i don't no why it was great for 4 weeks and then this happened but i didn't take one last night and slept pretty good and will start today to wean myself of of them. am switching back to my PTSD counselor this wed and hope we can help me together without meds. I know w=once i start having side effects like this it will get no better until i am free of them so i am really hoping i can get it together through therapy and avoid going through this with meds. I have always had a horrible reaction to AD's and am just not willing to keep trying more since i have taken every class and multiple ones in each class. someone wrote and i can't remember who it was the remeron caused her to eat chocolate ice-cream out of the box at night. that's exactly what i felt like for the past 2 days.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #48
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

ICC,

OH boy-- I am sitting here laughing- yes- i am STILL eating ice cream right out of the container & it MUST chocolate !! MY jeans are getting tight & this has to stop.
    My doc just increased me to 30 mgm as I'm having health isues that really have me down. But if I continue to gain weight- that is going to get me down, so I'm not sure where I'm headed here either.
    I hope you do well with counseling because I am not hoooked on the iodea of these meds- I just don't know what else to do as I feel like I'm caught in the middle of it all.

I will write later as I'm at work & need to run....

anxiousinnj

Old 11-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #49
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

anxiousinnj****i thought it was you but wasn't sure. i was laughing at myself yesterday. laid in bed all day thinking about what i could eat next. have a trmemdous appetite for cake. i know it's the drug and being a dibetic i have to stop taking it beofre it creates problems i don't already have and believe me i have enough right now. hopefully i can wean myself off by tapering the dosage for a few days. i didn't take one last night and have had no reaction so i'll take a 15 mg tonight and then skip 2 days and take another 15 mg and then skip 3 days and take the last 15 mg i have. i hope that does it because as i said after a month the 15 wasn't doing anything i was back to befor i took it and after 6 days on the 30 mg all the horrible things i have going on were worse. when i first started it i had almost immediate positive results. don't know what happened but it's not new to me with AD. i saw my PTSD counselor for almost 2 years so i'm sure i'll get further with her than the new counselor they put me with. she was nice but very young and i did all the talking unless she was comparing her father's problems to mine. i felt like i was helping her at times. my PTSD counselor reads between the lines with me and if i can't come up with what's going on she helps. plus i think everything that has happened to me in the past 6 mos. is registering in my mind as a trauma so she would be the best to help me deal with it all. here's hoping i will stop eating. i started to become obsessed with it. always thinking about what i wanted next. could just lay there all day and eat. looking forward to hearing from you.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #50
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

ICC, If you are a diabetic you should never have been put on Remeron. This tells me that the docs really don't understand how real & serious an appetite stimulant it is--especially for sweets. You are doing the right thing getting off of it- but go slow...

When I discussed the apetite problem with my p-doc she gave me this looking down at me like I'm a child look--and said "Now you have to make wise choices-- have carrot sticks and drink lots of water". I wanted to hit her. I wanted to sceam..."Woman ! I'm talking I will go through a brick wall & sell my soul to get to a Dunkin donut!". She did not seem to understand at all.
    Now she is a bit over wieght-- I am not, but will be soon. She said to me you have to decide do you want to feel mentally better & be a little over weight or do you want a perfect body & feel anxious & depressed?

I spent all last year losing weight & for the first time in many years got into a size 3-5 jeans. I was happy, felt energetic & definately not depressed. If I gain that weight back I will be mentally sicker on top of being on these drugs which in itself makes me depressed.

so, do what you have to-- you know the counselor has helped you before? Go for it ! I don't have any other options right now- I am afraid if I go off the Remeron right now I may feel worse & I can't afford to feel worse because I have some intense health issues I am trying to cope with-- not a time for any big changes.

Do let me know how long it takes for you appetite to calm down. I need to know how permanent this is, or how long it takes to go back to a normal appetite without the sweet cravings.
    Let us know how you are doing.

Anxiousagain-- are you back on the Rmeron? Up to 30 mgm yet ?
    Thinking about you...

anxiousinnj

Old 11-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #51
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

aniousinnj********you do make me laugh. that's how i felt for days. i would sell my sould for a Krispy Kreme in a heartbeat. I haven't taken the remeron for 2 straight nights and appetite is normal. i'm curious to see what effect it has on water retention since my hands and feet are swollen. you're right with diabetes and HBP i should never have been put on it but i think since it's the only drug i haven't tried he was grasping at straws. i took the last one (30 mg) on sat night and don't have any withrawal syptoms. i remeber stopping elavil cold turkey after taking it for years and had a horrible time within 2 days. i have 3 15 mg. left so if i start to feel funny i will span them out until i'm over it. i just don't think i'm meant to be chemically altered because i have horrible side effects to all AD's. going to stick to my klonopin as needed since it's the only one that hasn't created problems for me and spend another year or two with the PTSD counselor. God willing i will put this all behind me someday. i really have to learn how to deal with unbearable stress. i'm not talking about the day to day stuff. you know what i mean. the stuff that really beats you down and you can't find a way out of. with me right now it's my health and the work injuries all happening at once. I know aht you mean about the weight. I was a sixe 2-4 until late 40's. hurt my back and had to take oral steroids and had many injections. gained around 50 pounds almost over night. and then the elavil for pain didn't help. I finally was able to lose 35 pounds and keep it off for two years. felt great and hubby said i looked great. could wear jeans with a zipper again LOL diabetes under control, HBP under control. felt great and then was injured at work. back to square one with the oral steroids and the injections. gained 25 pounds in a couple of months, feel like crap and think i look it too. all i want is to get well physically and mentally get the 25 pounds off and get on with my life. dr. after dr. and no answers to certain problems. even the work injuries are hanging. surgery on neck and shoulder?????? maybe but no definite answers. go to physical therapy 3 xs a week and one of the girls when she measures how far up i can get my arm pushes it higher. i told her never to do that to me again. i am so sick of arguing with people and having a fight everywhere i go. no i don't hurt as much as i did when i was first injured but am not even 50% better. people just don't listen MY PCP does but i have had so much aggravation with the staff in certain dr.s offices that i have started to do their job just to get it right. no one that doesn't feel well wants to put up with this but i have felt i had to at times to avoid more aggravation for me. i have since stopped worrying about it all. if i get treament great. if they don't know what they're doing to pull it together i tell the dr. i'm not doing anyone's job for them anymore. that's how i got injured in the first place. doing everything i could to make it work while others were on break. i;m fed upwith it all and have been telling people everywhere i go that i am sick of incompetent people taking care of things that pertain to my health. turning into a real "B". the girl who does my evals at physical therapy told me last week that maybe i should try focusing on the positive. i was so offended so when i see her again in 2 weeks i intend to tell her . she knows nothing about me except my work injuries and i will tell her i was offended in that there are times that i have no positive in my life. maybe if she knew all the losses i have suffered and they were hanging on me that day she would watch what she says to people she doesn't know. thanks for listening as i guess i have alot of pent up anger right now. be well.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #52
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

ICC,

It's really good to type & vent-- get it out !!!!
    You sound like me & I know how horrible it feels. You don't want to be this witchy woman- but situations make you that way.
    I go to PT 3 x week also- trying to see if strenghening the back muscles can help avoid surgery. One day I'm thinking I can beat this- then the next the pain is so bad I feel it's all a waste of time- & what I have to shuffle in order to get to PT is a nghtmare in itself. And then it's all the phone calls & health insurance nightmare- our plan stinks I I have put out over $11,000 now this year out of pocket. I don't make that much because I am working part time & having difficulty doing that- so it's a big viscious circle.

Sometimes I get so frightened thinking of what will happen to me if I have to have this back surgery-- they are talking triple level fusions. I don't think I can handle it. No one that can help me at home & my house woud be impossible to navigate wile I'm recovering-- AND there's no guarantee the surgery would help & may even be worse !
    Just want my life back.....so I know how you feel. It's like a bad dream.
    Then there's all the normals tresses- kids, sick parents, financial mess-- you know the drill I'm sure.

I really would like to get off these AD's & just take something for anxiety as needed like you said.But I was in such a bad state in May I keep remembering how I was- it was terror- only way I can describe it. Every momement felt like terror. I still get anxious & frightened, but it doesn't seem to get to that out of control degree. So that's why I keep plodding along on this Remeron & Buspar.

Sigh............let's hope better days are coming for us all

anxiousinnj

Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #53
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

anxiousinnj((((((((hugs))))))))) we do have alot of parallels in out llives. i went to PT today to be told i can't do aqautic therapy anymore since i have the routine down pat. i asked the therapist why i awas being penalized for having a good memory. no answer. so i can continue at my own expense. just started to pay my own health insurance premiums $1100 a month and they think i can afford anything else. so her i sit with the painful neck, back, shoulder and no one seems to want to listen. they took my blood pressure today at therapy and sent me to my dr. it was 140/85. by the time i got to my dr. it was 175/92. all of this BS is really taking it's toal on my health. they asked today why my dr. can't put me out on disablity. i told them he could but since it's a WC case i stand to lose alot of money. hubby and i have been talking about me just retiring on disability from my pension and giving the WC cae up. it would be economic suicide but all the stress involved with dr. who don't listen and attorney's who blow you off i am starting to believe economic suicide would be better than what this is all doing to my health. who needs the money if your half dead?

Old 11-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #54
    hamiltonkrewe
    (male)

hamiltonkrewe HB User

I just started Remeron (60mg) added to the already xanax I have been taking for about the past seven years. I must say I am having the strangest side effect ever from a medication. Health wise I can handle it, itís not making me sick like most other medications I have tried Paxil and almost every SSRI.

The only problem is I am having a very strange food craving. I know this sounds weird but I just canít stop eating pickles! The weird thing is Iíve never really been a big pickle eater. I would only average about 4 to 6 pickles a year. I would never in the past even order a hamburger with pickles.

Now I can sit down and eat a whole large jar of pickles at one sitting. Last night I woke up at night to use the bathroom and went to the kitchen and ate 5 pickles and had to force myself to quit and go back to bed. I went to the store and bought 6 jars. When there I actually opened up a jar and ate one. I could not help myself. The worse thing is I put that jar back on the shelf. I just couldn't buy the 6 jars knowing one was missing.

A few days later my wife bought me 4 more very large jars. (Samís Club) She also bought me bananas. I could hardly eat the banana the whole time thinking about those giant jars of pickles that seemed to be calling my name from the pantry.

I need to talk to my doctor but not sure how. How do I tell his receptionist that Iím having bad side effects from the Remeron and eating pickles non-stop?

I have a major health concern about eating a diet strictly of pickles. I started taking a multi vitamin but consume between 20 to 25 pickles a day. Is that unhealthy? Will the acidic juice hurt my stomach after awhile?

Iím thinking of just stopping the Remeron but I've taken many medications with much worse unbearable side effects. So I eat a lot of pickles. Maybe they are healthy?

I heard Remeron takes a week to really work. Maybe I will try it for a few more days and see how it goes. Anyone else have any strange food cravings from Remeron? This is so weird. strange. Will these side effects just go away? Thanks Dave

Old 11-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #55
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

hi dave*****that's what made me stop taking it. i was obsessed with food. just certain foods. but i couldn't get my mind off it. there are a couple of us that would sell our souls for certain foods. it stopped as soon as i stopped taking it.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #56
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Hi Dave,

Forgive me but I can't stop laughing. Yours in the funniest post I've ever read.
    But believe me I totally understand what you are saying.
    For me it is sweets-- I tell myself to stop & it is like I am a robot that just keeps opening that cookie jar-- it's disgusting !!!
    Everyday I say to myself--this is it! Protien, no carbs--- as I start nibbling anything sweet.

But pickles is just too funny. I am picturing you with the 6 jars of pickles , eating one out of the jar & putting it back-- this is like a comedy movie !
    I am not a pickle eater at all, but recently we went out for lunch & there was lrge pickle on my plate. Myhusband always takes my pickles-- but I wanted this one. Weird !!!
    But generally it's sweets that I can't resist.

Something that comes to mind is that you were started right off at a high dose. Most of us started at 15 mgm & worked up slowly. I've been on Remeron since May & I just went up to 30 mgm this past week.
    Maybe starting at a lower dose won't have quite as drastic effect--- watch out for the Krispy Kremes though...

anxiousinnj

Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #57
    hamiltonkrewe
    (male)

hamiltonkrewe HB User

Hi anxiousinnj Iím glad someone finds my side effects humorous I certainly don't and am 100% serious. Someone else told me that was a very high dosage I Ďm cutting it down to 15mg or nothing until I can see my P-Doc.

Why pickles of all things? I usually crave sweets normally I would think if this happened I would be camping out at our local Krispy Kremes.

Whenever I get bad side effects I usually worry that they will stay even when I go off the medication. This always put me in a panic whenever I've tried SSRIís Iím so worried that this very strange side effect wonít go away. Is Remeron very long acting? When will it be out of my system if I stop today? I need relief Thanks Dave

Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #58
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Oh Dave-I'm sorry-- I know you are serious & completely believe you & understand why you are concerned. But for just a minute, step back & read your post- you gotta laugh.
    I'm sure you will alright & doubt you will over dose on pickles, but I realize this isn't a healthy diet. There's just something in those pickles satisying a craving---.
    I have not gone off Remeron since starting it so I don't know how soon the cravings go away. But ICC said her sweet cravings went away quickly.

Why don't you try a lower dose first before giving up completely ?
    Again, I didn't mean to offend you-- I was laughing at all of us with all these cravings- sometimes you just have to laugh at your situation just to lighten things up a bit & make it more bearable. Does that make any sense?

I understand your worry about the cravings lasting even after going off a med- I do the same thing, but I really think #1, if you stay on a while some of the side effects get less- like although I still have sweet cravings, I am not gaining more weight- things are leveling out. #2, the groggy effect of Remeron goes away the longer you are on it- I was just upped to 30 mgm & I'm doing ok with it. I tried 30 mgm a couple of months ago & couldn't handle it at all. So if you had trouble with other AD's & are really wanting to give Remeron a try, go lower & stay with it a while...& watch for pickle sales ( only kidding with you..)

anxiousinnj

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #59
    edz61
    (male)

edz61 HB User

I took it for 4 months and hated it. I never gain weight but I did with Remeron, about 10-15 pounds. The 1st day I took it, I walked around like a Zombie. The 2nd-5th day I felt great and after the 2nd week, I saw no difference none what so ever. I hope it works for you guys. I have tried it all and none worked. I just excercise, try to eat and sleep well and I take Xanax and/or Ativan on as needed basis

Old 11-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #60
    hamiltonkrewe
    (male)

hamiltonkrewe HB User

No need to be sorry anxiousinnj I stopped taking the Remeron for now and back to eating somewhat normal. My normal diet isn't the healthiest either but this is not the forum for that.

I showed my wife my original post and asked if she thought it was funny? She said “Well sort of” I think some people think subconsciously it is sexy for a woman to have an insatiable urge to eat pickles. Therefore a male with the same urge would have the opposite thoughts possibly even comical.

Although I don’t think Remeron will be able to help my own Panic disorder or Gad, I find it a quite a remarkable medication. It should be able to help those with anorexia and its side effects should be studied to hopefully better understand other eating disorders like bulimia or just overeating.

I hope Remeron continues to work well for you anxiousinnj helping your anxiety with minimal side effects.
    Takes care Dave

Last edited by hamiltonkrewe; 11-09-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread