It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Do Not Take Lipitor!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
    texasbart
    (female)

texasbart HB User
    Angry Do Not Take Lipitor!!!

My husband (59 yr old) has been on Lipitor for about 2 years--not because he needed it but doctor said everyone should take it. His cholesterol is excellent and he is in very good shape. Goes to the gym every other day. Walks 3-4 miles every other day. 3 weeks ago he started feeling shaky and weakness in his legs. He started having flu like symptoms. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he is a stubborn man. He got so shaky and weak that he was afraid to even go outside to get the paper because he was afraid he would fall. He did not set foot out of the house for 2 weeks before I insisted he go to the doctor. I took him to the doc and he had to hold on to me to walk. In the docs office it took the doc and me to get him up from the chair to the exam table. He did a blood test and a few days later the doc left a message for him to stop taking Lipitor and to come in right away. The blood test revealed that Lipitor was breaking down his muscles and that the liver was of concern. He will have an ultrasound on his liver tomorrow. Since going off Lipitor, he is feeling alot better but not 100%. I don't know if he ever will. This is a dangerous drug that doctors are pushing. They consider it a wonder drug and for some it could be. But if you don't need it in the first place, DO NOT take it. The doc that prescribed it in the first place has just retired so we have a new doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User
    Re: Do Not Take Lipitor!!!

I can't believe a doctor would prescribe this just two years ago to a person with normal cholesterol. I would be so angry. I do know one doctor told a friend of ours that he wished they would put it in the nation's water supply so I shouldn't be surprised. I hope your husband makes a full recovery.

My husband also had a bad reaction when his Lipitor was increased--flu-like symtoms, could barely move, etc. He is fine now.

Jane

Old 10-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Lipitor should become a highly regulated drug, if it is even available at all.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by texasbart
    My husband (59 yr old) has been on Lipitor for about 2 years--not because he needed it but doctor said everyone should take it. His cholesterol is excellent and he is in very good shape. Goes to the gym every other day. Walks 3-4 miles every other day. 3 weeks ago he started feeling shaky and weakness in his legs. He started having flu like symptoms. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he is a stubborn man. He got so shaky and weak that he was afraid to even go outside to get the paper because he was afraid he would fall. He did not set foot out of the house for 2 weeks before I insisted he go to the doctor. I took him to the doc and he had to hold on to me to walk. In the docs office it took the doc and me to get him up from the chair to the exam table. He did a blood test and a few days later the doc left a message for him to stop taking Lipitor and to come in right away. The blood test revealed that Lipitor was breaking down his muscles and that the liver was of concern. He will have an ultrasound on his liver tomorrow. Since going off Lipitor, he is feeling alot better but not 100%. I don't know if he ever will. This is a dangerous drug that doctors are pushing. They consider it a wonder drug and for some it could be. But if you don't need it in the first place, DO NOT take it. The doc that prescribed it in the first place has just retired so we have a new doctor.
    First of all I would call your doctor incompetent , you do not take these drugs without doing blood tests every 3 months or so because this can happen taking these so called wonder drugs , this serious problem is called Rhabdomyolysis . These drugs can cause a myriad of problems and if you ever took the time to read the side effects it would scare you . They totally destroyed the nerves in both my feet , have little to no feeling left in both feet . I no longer take statins but problem never resolved itself , the damage was permanent . I feel for your husband , he is a young man to have these problems , I'm only 49 myself .

Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

My aunt was prescribed Lipitor for stroke prevention and she does not have a cholesterol problem, she is 62 years old. When she asked her pharmacist about it, he replied that her doctor is very smart to give her the prescription.

It really bothers me that the commercial for Lipitor states that a simple blood test to check the liver for problems is all that's needed to moniter a Lipitor user, and the CPK muscle test is never mentioned. Is the CPK test included in the full panel blood test/chem-screen panel blood test or is it a seperate test. I can't determine which test it is on the Quest Diagnostic blood test form, and I would like my mom to take the CPK test since she is taking 40 MG. of Lipitor daily.

Thanks.

Last edited by jacal5; 11-01-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacal5
    My aunt was prescribed Lipitor for stroke prevention and she does not have a cholesterol problem, she is 62 years old. When she asked her pharmacist about it, he replied that her doctor is very smart to give her the prescription.

It really bothers me that the commercial for Lipitor states that a simple blood test to check the liver for problems is all that's needed to moniter a Lipitor user, and the CPK muscle test is never mentioned. Is the CPK test included in the full panel blood test/chem-screen panel blood test or is it a seperate test. I can't determine which test it is on the Quest Diagnostic blood test form, and I would like my mom to take the CPK test since she is taking 40 MG. of Lipitor daily.

Thanks.
    My husband has to request the CPK test when his cholesterol panel is run. When he was having so much muscle pain more than a year ago and we suspected Lipitor we asked for the test. His doctor ordered it, but was on the phone with her insurance company after he made the request.

One quick question. What is the difference between a CPK test and the CRP test? Are they the same since they both measure inflammation? I have been confused on this.

Jane

Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janeslk
    ..... What is the difference between a CPK test and the CRP test? ......
    They are quite different tests. The CPK test measures levels of an enzyme found in muscle, creatine phosphokinase. And a high level of it suggests that muscle has been damaged. The CRP test measure levels of c-reactive protein, which is a general marker for inflammation.

Mark

Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #8
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

Thanks, Mark. I will have my husband request both tests when he goes to his doctor's office later this morning. His CRP number has been low in the past despite high cholesterol. His CPK was low, but was higher at his last test a few months ago. I am wondering if that could be caused by deep muscle massage, which he has for his leg and hip about once every few weeks.

Jane

Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

The liver test does not have to elevated to have severe damage to the muscles. It is now known that despite normal liver tests, a muscle biopsy can show the severe muscle damage. For an example, you will have an elevated liver test right after a heart attack. Approximately 6 weeks later that test can be back to normal, despite severe damage to the heart muscle.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I don't think the problem is necessarily the Lipitor, but the fact that many of you or those you are referring to, did not have high cholesterol and need it. I also think that many doctors prescribe way too high of a dose. The side effects, as with any drug, drastically increase with dosage increases. When my mom was diagnosed with HC five years ago they started her out on 40 mg. That blows my mind! It has been a miracle drug for me, but my numbers were 289 (it seems to be hereditary for me) and my doctor put me on it, but told me to start with 5 mg. He prescribed the 10 and told me to cut it in half. I have been on it for three years and have had no problems so far, probably because of the very small dosage which seems to work as well as the larger dosages. My numbers went from 289 to 198 in six weeks on the 5 mg.

Nancy

Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3
    I don't think the problem is necessarily the Lipitor, but the fact that many of you or those you are referring to, did not have high cholesterol and need it.
    Nancy

BioAdoptMom3,

With all due respect, I think it probably was the Lipitor that caused the muscle weakness/aches in the individuals in this thread. It certainly was for TexasBart's husband.

I was on Lipitor for over 7 years before I had a muscle problem 2 years ago... the fact that you've been on it for years without symptoms doesn't necessarily mean it isn't doing your muscles any harm... The damage may just gradually build and remain below the threshhold where you have symptoms for a long time.

I have reluctantly gone back on a statin recently, but I am very mindful of any sudden, unexplained muscle aches or weakness. I had that problem 2 years ago - and thought I would never be better again. Many doctors don't tell their patients about the muscular side-effects, so many don't associate it with their statin until they've incurred significant damage.

Everyone should be taking supplemental CoQ10 if they are on ANY statin - since they all deplete this nutrient, which is vital for energy production in the muscles.

I do agree strongly with you that any doctor that prescribes a statin to someone with 'normal' cholesterol levels is playing with the patients health. That to me is clearly irresponsible medicine.

HubbleRules

Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Have to agree with Hubble, as hubby was on Lipitor for almost 7 years, but it was in the 5th year he started having all the side effects. I on the other hand, had them after almost 4 months, so it seems to be an individual thing.

Unfortuneatly we knew nothing about statins, and had no computer till 2000, so that is when I started to research stuff and put 2 and 2 together and make it add up to 4. Hubby's dr. had a long talk with him and also came to the conclusion he couldn't take statins, so we just deal with it as best we can now. With eatin alot of oatmeal, taking some cinnamon, he has been getting it down very nicely. Last test it was 170, and although I forget the other numbers, they were good as well. WE both are due for bloodwork this week, so hoping all is still well. Hubby developed permanent PN, and yes, the cardio dr. said it was most likely from the statins. That part really makes me angry, as the other dr. should have seen the signs and taken him off, as now he suffers with taking all kinds of meds. for the PN, but is left with very lil feeling in either foot, and now it is spreading to his hands. Not a very nice way to live. For those that can take a statin, God bless them, but many of us just can't, and drs. should see the signs! JMHO

Old 11-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
    clerky96
    (female)

clerky96 HB User

Nancy, the highest dosage that I ever took of Lipitor was 10 mg. I took Lipitor for 7 years before I started having problems. I would be taking it still, if it were up to my dr. She does not believe it is the cause of my pain/weakness in my legs. After 1 1/2 years, my legs are still not back to normal. I have posted a thread about my dr putting me back on and after only 23 days, I was in so much pain that I stopped it again. I realize that you are only taking 5 mg, and I wish you the best of luck with that dosage. I hope you never have to go through what I have gone through, and am still going through.Never, never, never, will I take another statin.
    Donna

Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #14
    texasbart
    (female)

texasbart HB User

Do you ever completely recover from this? He is feeling better but still has muscle aches in his legs and some weakness. We're still waiting on the results of his liver ultrasound.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

TexasBart,

I wish I could definitely answer 'Yes - he will fully recover'. The problem is, all of us react differently to statin-induced myopathy. I believe it also depends on how bad the condition got before the statins were stopped.

I have recovered fully - but I did not feel much improvement for months, and did not feel to start getting back-to-normal for over a year.

I would recommend that your husband take CoQ10 supplements while he is recovering - and to be patient. I took 100mg/day of CoQ10 for about 1 1/2 years. Now I'm down to 30-50mg/day.

Best of luck.

HubbleRules

Closed Thread