It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera - Others w. Adult Male Side Effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #121
    CursedforLife

CursedforLife HB User
    Re: Strattera - Others w. Adult Male Side Effects?

good thread, i am very conflicted at this point. dont want long lasting effects at any cost.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #122
    Ktownguy
    (male)

Ktownguy HB User

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]OK, so it's NOT just me. I'm glad I came across this thread. I am a 38 y/o gay male, just started taking Strattera 9 days ago. Am also on 20 mgs. Prozac (have been for just over a month) and 1 mg. Klonopin (since late August). I take both of these at night to get to sleep and to treat depression/anxiety.

As for the Strattera, I take it during the day and was told to start first dose at 25 mgs., next three days at 40 mgs. then up to 80 mgs. thereafter. Well, the first thing I noticed was the cotton mouth. The next and more unpleasant thing I noticed is the problem with urination and sexual side effects. I was at work on day 4 (or was it 5?) of the Strattera and went to the bathroom. I noticed that - like others on this thread have mentioned - my urination wasn't that strong, came in short streams, and also at one point, had this seminal consistency to it. I went back to my desk and started to feel the sensation that I hadn't quite finished urinating. That's when it happened: I actually had leaked a bit of a leak! Minimal though it was, good think I had dark pants on! I was embarrassed, to say the least, and naturally uncomfortable the rest of the day. I almost felt like asking to go home, but was too embarrassed to do so! I mean, imagine how I'd explain it - not to mention I've had enough problems at work due to mental health issues. I have started taking the Strattera after talking with my psychiatrist (who back a few months ago addressed the topic of ADD, but felt the need to get the anxiety/depression issues under control first) and told her of my poor performance at work - not checking my work, overlooking the obvious, making mistakes with routine work, general lack of concentration/focus, etc. I mean, I've always had these issues to a degree on the job, but they seem worse now more than ever before, and it's come to the point at work where I am going under mid-year review one month before anyone else is!!!! Either I worked with very understanding people in the past or members of the team in my current position are perfectionistic nazis! My employer knows about my mental health issues, but seemingly doesn't care as I had come back from a 3-week leave with no restrictions and, thus, feels like she shouldn't treat me any differently (though she witnessed first-hand 3 separate anxiety attacks/flip-outs and even drove me to the hospital on the last one).

I also feel like my sexual drive has been reduced to nothing - no interest even in self-stimulation!!! Needless to say, I don't like this at all and am thinking as I've just started taking the drug that I should just stop it immediately. I mean, I've been depressed/anxious and had no problems with sexual activity/arousal, but now that I've started on the Strattera, libido is non-existent. I'm wondering if "Jr. will ever grow up" again, you know? Help Mr. Wizard, my penis is Tutor Turtle!

The one thing I did seem to notice was a better sense of concentration/self-review of work - don't know if it's the Strattera or the threat of losing my job - perhaps both! Anyone ever just stop taking Strattera cold after a short time of taking it? I've also tried Adderall XR, but felt like my heart was going to explode when I took it. I don't know if it's also the combination with the Prozac, but was on Wellbutrin XL prior to the Prozac - didn't help with the depression - hell, I'm not even sure the Prozac is.

Wow, I'm babbling!

Anyway, now I know it's not only I who have experienced this problem with this obvious side-effect of Strattera - I think I'd rather be a potentially-unemployed nutcase than to have to live without a sexual drive!

Thanks for putting up with me!

Old 05-16-2005, 06:41 AM   #123
    dougmg
    (male)

dougmg HB User

I'm a 46 yo male. I have just begun Strattera. From day one I have had the discharge upon finishing up urinating about 4 hours after taking the pill. Then some pain/presure in my prostate area. How do I find out about possiblle long term side effects?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #124
    andie2005
    (female)

andie2005 HB User

My boyfriend takes Strattera and has for a few months. After we had sex I had an irritation. Thinking I had an infection for whatever reason I spoke with my doctor. Nothing was found but the irritation continues. When I mentioned this to my boyfriend he admitted to having a burning sensation during sex. I wanted to know if any of your partners have experienced pain or itching after sex.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #125
    jamesdennishoff
    (male)

jamesdennishoff HB User

I have to say that reading all of these replies it seems obvious that Strattera has som eosrt of serious affect on male sexual performance. I started taking Strattera about two months ago and just recently stopped. Although I felt more calm and emotionally stable, I saw very little improvment in my overall ability to concentrate, and, like so many other people on this list I also experienced a peculiar pain, as if I had to urinate, after ejaculation.

But here's the really scary part, and something that the makers of the drug should probably investigate.

I am a graduate student and to make extra money I donate sperm at a fertility clininc around the corner form my school. I usually donate twice a week or eight times over the course of a month. Usually all of my donations are above the minimum count level. Sometimes, if I am sick or under a particular amount of stress one of my donations might be a little low. When I was preparing for my orlas examinations and under an incredible amount of stress I actually had two donations in one month that were below the minimum. However, a month after I started taking Strattera I had a month where six out of nine of my donations were below the minimum sperm count. I can't say for sure that this is due to the drug but it seems like a very strange coincidence, and given the descriptions that I've seen on this board about sexual side effects, it raises a lot of questions.

Has anyone else noticed a decreased sperm count with Strattera?

Old 08-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #126
    jamesdennishoff
    (male)

jamesdennishoff HB User

I also noticed that the problems with ejaculation occured only after the first 3 or four hours, so that if I took it in the morning, I was fine to have a normal erection and orgasm at night.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #127
    Gremlin72
    (male)

Gremlin72 HB User

This board is a great thing. Almost makes you think the drug companies don't really care about anything but $$$$?

Will continue to follow this for more information.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #128
    jimnfl
    (male)

jimnfl HB User

Well, I had the semen in the urine today for the first time, I didnt take my pill for 3 days due to being out of town. I am 32 and have been taking strattera for about 2 1/2 months (now @ 60mg). I have noticed the more difficulty in acheiving and maintaining an errection and just thought it was due to the fact that my wife and I are trying to have a baby and are making love much more often. Now I am concerned that this will effect my ability to get my wife pregnant. We have tried for two months now with no luck. I have really liked the effects of strattera on my ability to stay focused, but I can't risk the ability to get my wife pregnant, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Please let me know!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #129
    StratDude1
    (male)

StratDude1 HB User

Been over a year since last post, so hoping this post may cause folks to check back in and post updates. Like others, I'm curious on longetivity of some of those side effects. Seems like some had them go away, others did not.

Either way, thought it might be useful to share my experience thus far, and welcome any feedback.

I'm a 28 year old male.

At age 18/19:
    Started smoking pot and drinking alcohol like most kids this age do.

At age 20:
    Get job in my career line (which I still hold today).

At age 21:
    Weee!!! Old enough to go to the bar. Started drinking decent amount, 4 nights a week or so. Still smoke pot maybe 4-5 times a week (2-3 hits at a pop....not enough to get comatose). Go to shrink as I feel signs that I understand match that of depression. Quickly prescribes Zoloft, and I ween myself off after approx 6 months due to no longer having emotions. While I know drinking isn't helping, feel I'm too young to entertain thought of stopping...at risk of losing my social life. Begin working out at gym on regular basis.

At age 22-23:
    See a counseler (thinking previous shrink was just a pill pusher). She thinks feeling related to alcohol consumption, asks me to stop for month. I refuse, and stop seeing her after maybe 4-5 visits. Still smoking pot at same frequency. See another shrink, and he tells me I have no prob...."everyone gets down now and then." Stop seeing him after 4-5 visits. Still working out (and in great physical shape), and enjoying partying part of my life. Still feeling "down" sometimes, uncertain if due to depression or normal. Have difficulty sometimes in social situations, especially when sober.

At age 24:
    Dating great girl for about a year (tying my dating sustainment record). Start calming down on going to bars, but still drinking at home same frequency. Gym stopped for about a year due to work craziness. Still possible feelings of depression, and some social issues. Work performance up to this point is great however, feel proud and confident in that area.

At age 25:
    Buy my first house. Realizing drinking is becoming an issue, and calm it down to 2-3 nights a week in favor of daily pot smoking. Ironically smoking motivates me to do things I otherwise have no interest in (house projects, etc.), however due to effects of pot, things probably go a bit slower than if sober. Job still going great (although kinda crazy). Still not back to gym. Depression & social issues feel same (still manageable).

At age 26:
    Back to gym. Still smoking daily. Getting bored of work (want to jump to diff career, even though quite successful).

At age 27:
    Realizing the memory issues and some other adverse effects from pot smoking are too much. Try quitting, and end up w/ sleeping issues for first time in life (and not aware of relation to stopping smoking). Also very irritable. See regular doc who chalks it up to low level anxiety and puts me on 10mg Lexapro. Pick smoking back up and either the smoking and/or Lexapro handles sleeping issue after a week or 2. Due to possible depression symptoms and what may be some small anxiety-like symptoms, decide staying on Lexapro may be good. Still dating same girl, and things are pretty good there. Back to gym.

At age 28, one week ago:
    Decide to quit smoking pot for good. I find myself forgetting stuff all the time, amongst other issues. Also have followup with doc about Lexapro and sleeping deal (no more issues, but just to check up). I go in, and admit the previous smoking habit and that I stopped a couple days prior. Doc makes possible correlation to previous sleeping issue when I stopped smoking then. I state concern of both another sleeping issue, as well as lack of motiviation to do things (again, house projects, etc.) when I'm no longer high. Doc eventually diagnoses ADD, and I'm utterly amazed on match against symptoms. Feel like maybe this is the missing piece to the puzzle of my life.

4 days ago (Tues):
    Start taking 25mg Strattera, and upped does of Lexapro to 20mg....both taken in AM. Feel awefully loopy, but will ride it out. Out of no where that night, sleeping probs are back. Lucky if I got 2-3 hours. Lack of appetite, and more sweaty than normal too.

Wed & Thur:
    Ball of fire at work. Talking to people, feel way more social. Switching on and off tasks with significant ease. In GREAT mood. Is this possibly cuz of meds? Seems to early to feel benefits. If this has been the piece of my life I felt missing all this time, I wish it had been discovered earlier. Still have sleeping problems though, and Lunesta doesn't help a whole lot. Started to have feeling of needing to urunate frequently, even though I know I don't need to....rather annoying. Also notice a different feeling with little buddy down below - things still work, just take a little longer to "wake up". Nothing like "output" issues explained by others. Appetite and sweatiness same as Tues. However by Thurs night, side effects have me concerned enough to consider stop taking Strat. Girlfriend (same one, 5 years!) convinces me to give more time, and I hesitently agree.

Fri:
    Up Strat dose to 40mg per docs orders. Will be upping again to 65 after 3 days. Loopy again today, like on Tues, although maybe not quite as bad. Urination feeling still bothersome. Little guy still working, but things still seem/feel different down there.

Today:
    Had borderline shakes today. Otherwise everything like Fri.

Sorry for those bothered by long explanation here, thought maybe the timeline would help folks understand how I got here. I really liked the positive effect from Wed/Thurs, and wondering if I should go back down to 25mg Strat. Don't see doc for another 2 weeks or so, and wanna ride it out in hopes my body gets used to things and side effects minimize or diminish. If so, this could be the answer I've been waiting for all these years.

Closed Thread