It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back pain and burning in my thighs!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User
    Question Back pain and burning in my thighs!!!!

I am a 35 year old female, 4 years ago I fell in a hole that was about 3 feet deep, my entire right leg went in it up to my body, I fell backwards, off course on to my rumpshaker!! I could not sit for more than 10 minutes because my tailbone was so sore and pain was unbearable. Well it seem now that everytime I over-do-it a little, I suffer with low back pain and my leg tops burn like someone rubbed ben-gay on them. I'm scared to death, thinking I have MS or some other kind of dreaded disease, why would my legs only burn on the tops? I took a walk with my sister yesterday, and I am paying for it tremendously today, could this all be muscular? If it was a herniated disk or something wouldn't the pain only be on one side? Please, help!!! I'm worried and scared, any one familiar with anything like this? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
    Suzy-Q
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suzy-Q HB User
    Re: Back pain and burning in my thighs!!!!

Hello Jenny-
    I'm very sorry to hear of your accident and subsequent pain. Of course, it is impossible for any of us to be sure but I would say it seems most likely to me that you have suffered some nerve damage or injury to the spine if these symptoms go back to your fall? A burning sensation is a very common result of nerve injury or nerve compression. Disc disease can be one sided or on both sides depending on where the herniation is located - a bilateral or centrally located herniation will exhibits symptoms on both sides. And most of us here will join you in saying that we pay dearly for activity, exercise, and especially 'over doing it'! I am not familar with the symptoms of MS so I can;t speak to that. However, all that you describe fits a back problem to a 'T'. Have you had an MRI? I think it is time to get one, if not. Best of luck to you - Suzy-Q

Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
    Roy47
    Inactive
    (male)

Roy47 HB User

Hello Jenny,

In my situation I hurt my back several years ago. I think mine was from situps and pushups and the years of being in the Army. It hurt more than usual one day and I went to a doctor; he said lets do an MRI just to be safe. "This has turned out to be one of the best decisions" that I have ever made; and was diaganosed with the start of Degenerative Disc Diease. Since this is service connected I am fortunate finically, I have really racked up some serious bills that I have payed very little for. I spent some time with a chiropractor and took it easy for a while... Things were great for about 3 years; retired from uncle sam and then my feet hurt, then legs, and the thigs felt and still feel much how you describe them to be and finally stopped in my lower back.

I thought exactly what your thoughts were: Am I in a life threating medical situation: Another M.R.I. showed that things were very much worse than I thought and my pain and experiences have only gotten worse.

Most of the time it stays in the left side. but will travel to the right side. Then go all over the body it seems. I have had 3 different evaluations. Two from Neuro surgeons and that latest just the other day from a Spine Specalist. He said almost exactly what the first Neuro doctor said in Jan. of this year; I am scheduled for S1-L1, and L4-L5 fusion on Feb the 12 of 2007.

It is the earliest that I can get in for the surgery with this Spine Specalist. I agree that the spine specalist is the route to go if possible. I went through the other experiences as the others have for the most part.

I agree with Suzy-Q; I have read many of her postings and have
    learned a great deal of what to expect before my upcoming surgeries and know what to expect during my healing phase of what is to come as well.

This web site has been a blessing and the people here are the "best of the best"...

Good luck, my limited thoughts and knowledge are that you need a view of what may be going on in the inside of the body and get several views from several doctors and then go with your heart and mind. Something is wrong no doubt.

Roy47

Old 11-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User

Roy and Suzy-Q, thanks so much. When I look back, I think the start was actually when my son was born, 10 years ago. I had a horrible delivery, the doc yank and pulled on me, it was a forceps delivery, I couldn't touch my hips for weeks because of the pain, I felt bruised from my knees up to my pelvis. I also had a epidural, and the next day, my entire left leg was in horrible pain, the nurse seen that I was crying from agony, asked what was wrong, I told her, she said that sometimes they nick the sciatic nerve with the epidural and that the pain should go away in a day or two, well, it lasted 3 days, but ever since then, certain things would aggravate it, and it would feel like someone stabbing me in the butt cheek with a knife, not fun, and my ankle would get real hot. But, since the "hole" incident, its been downhill. Do you serioudly think that I could have a disk problem? I'm scared, but know that this is not right. I never had a MRI of lumbar, just of brain and cervical. I know one thing, I'll never walk that far again!!!! Thanks so much

Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi there. sorry to hear you have are experiencing pain. You can herniate a disc doing almost anything or nothing at all. It does not require major trauma for a disc to bulge or herniate. If you are an unlucky one such as many of us on this board.. and you have what I call "advanced DDD", since we all really have DDD it's just a matter of whether or not it causes some of us a lot of pain or not. Well just having DDD can cause it and is often the catalyst for making us more vulnerable to injury of the spine.

Based on the pain you described in your legs.. does indeed sound like nerve pain. I too think you could have a lumbar disc problem and you should consider getting an MRI to see if there is anything they can visually see from that. It is the most non-invasive form of testing to determine the overall health of the spine (discs, facets, dura, thecal sac, etc.) If a disc is bulging it will more than likely show up on the MRI as well as anything that might be putting pressure or pinching a nerve (that just might be causing your leg pain).You can do this through a regular MD at this early stage of diagnosis.

Then if something is apparent, I would then strongly urge you to seek an spine surgeon (ortho or neuro) for treatment.

You take care and let us know how you are doing. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
    Roy47
    Inactive
    (male)

Roy47 HB User
    Wink Re: Back pain and burning in my thighs!!!!

Jenny,

As far as the results from having the child; I have no idea, I understand somewhat of what you are saying and that is it in that department.

Disc problems, perhaps. My S1-L1 are sitting on top of each other bone on bone, with a nerve caught between the 2 discs. The Spine Specalist said that is why you are in such pain. The L4-L5 are on top of each other as well. My back muslces are tighter than tight trust me.

He suggested that I go to a swimming pool to "Walk in" and then do a " jaquezie / SPA my spelling is probaly wrong but I think that you get the idea. Perhaps this might relieve some of the pain untill you can get in and see what is going on with your body.

I went to thepary after the injections that I had in my back . Three days later the therapist said that lets see how you are doing with flexability since your shots. She went to bring the knee towards my chest and the pain that you described X 10 hit me. I told her to put my leg down and that I was done.... She asked what was wrong and I told her that I almost want to cry; she said that she was sorry and if I was in that much pain it was time to go back and see the Nuero=surgeon and that was that. I have done no thepary since then and have just been trying to hang on till the surgery.

You know as well as I, that all this takes along time from making the appt and finaly seeing the doctor and throw in the insurance and it even takes longer some times...

I am going to try this starting next week; I am really starting to put some weight on. I sit at a desk most of the 8 hours at my job currently. He told me to take it as easy as I could till after the surgery and the healing begins.

This is just an idea untill you see your doctor.. I will let you know by the end of the week if this is helping me at all.

Please do not be scared; find out for sure and deal with the things that you can control and let the doctors do there best...

Good luck and try to be positive,

Roy47

Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User

Jenny, its possible you have a disc problem, they can be caused by almost anything. it could be something else too as other things can cause what you describe. a MRI is the way to tell.

even if there is a disc problem it doesnt mean you must have a surgical precedure. many times discs heal themselves. PT, medications and shots sometimes help. if that doesnt do it, there are a variety of surgical procedures that can be done, some of them relatively minor. fusion or artificial discs (the major surgeries) are only used as a last resort.

Closed Thread