It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Need some advice, Please!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
    weaklin
    (female)

weaklin HB User
    Question Need some advice, Please!!

Hi there all,
    I have felt very tried for a long time now and also experience my hair falling out,fast heart beats,cloudy mind,ect,so I went to the doc and had a blood test which showed that my iron level was 1. Started taking oral iron pills for around 3 months,then stopped for a while, so I recently went to a different doc and had another blood test which showed my iron level 4 (ref range 9.0-30.4), ferritin 56 ug/L (ref range15-200), Hb 133g/L (ref range 155-165).
    The thing is that after reading this forum trying to make sense as to whats going on with my body I asked the doc for iron shots or iv iron,only for him to practaly laughed in my face with a "NO thats not needed" answer.He then told me to take Fefol iron pills for 6 months and watch what I eat.I decied to get advice from another doc who told me that when my iron level was 1 thats when I should have gotten the iv iron but level 4 iron is not low enough?????
    What do all you people think??. Should I take the iron pills for 6 months or seek another doc who takes me seriously.
    I'm 35 years old and a mother of a 5 and 6 year old. I do have my periods every 24-26 days apart and can be heavy,I'm not a fussy eater and love eating meat and vegetables,I cannot function like this anymore,any advice would be greatful thank-you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Need some advice, Please!!

I can only guess at what is going on but these are suggestions. The doctors know that iron shots and infusions are dangerous. The reasons being that if the iron does not get to the right storage area, it can collect around the heart and liver and become poisonous to the system. The doctors also know that the iron stores can be very low but if you are eating nutritiously at every meal you are getting enough iron to get you from day to day. Also, as you age you need less iron to function and there are iron related illnesses where the doctors have to take out iron which is expensive and difficult on the patient. So, I would recommend that you ask your doctor for a vitamin B-12 shot, it is about $15.00 in the US. You can also buy the liquid that goes under the tongue and take it several times a day for a while. This might improve your energy level. I had to take one Iron infusion, and I felt more tired and flu like for a month afterward. I would not take another iron infusion unless the other choice was to lose a hand or foot..... My opinion only. Not to be confused with good medical advice.

Last edited by Merimac; 11-21-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Closed Thread