It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Does anyone else seem to be getting anxiety??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
    Does anyone else seem to be getting anxiety??

My PM Dr. wants me to go to/find a new Pain Mgmt. Dr./Center. He feels that he has just about exhausted his treatment of me during the last 3 1/2 yrs. Wanted me to try a large teaching hospital here in FL...well, after they lost my referral twice..and I could not seem to reach them..the phone would go to a message center that was not working..and some pretty unorganized calls...I finally got throught to the appt. desk..yikes...they wanted us to fax the referral and my papers AGAIN..I then asked how long it would take to get an appt....the answer was they are making appts. for MAY...I told them to forget it...another 6 months wait is not acceptable.
    New problem....I have had the chronic back/leg etc. pain for 4 yrs., since a bad fall...have been to Dr/Neurosurgeon/Pain Mgmt., on oxycodone 10/325..also, because of all of the steroid injections and prednisone use I developed secondary adrenal insuffiency.. My endro. Dr. says that the adrenals are recovering and has me cutting back on the Cortef I take for that problem..
    BUT, now I am finding that I am getting more anxious..
    MY PM Dr. is basically just doing palative pain mgmt. with the medication..nothing else..his words, not mine. I am so tired of all of this...I hate being in pain, trying to find a new PM Dr., guess I am discouraged. Anyone just feel that it's just too much, wonder what will my life be like in another year? A lot of you know that I am usually pretty upbeat..but this is just too much, and now the anxiety... Sorry, sounds like I am having my pitty party early...but I just needed to "say" some stuff...get it out..and know that you guys/gals will understand...
    Guess my question is how do you deal with the anxiety...I am going to call my PM Dr., and ask if I can take .25 of xanax...along with my other meds...Has anyone else taken xanax with the oxycodone??

Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User
    Re: Does anyone else seem to be getting anxiety??

I have been getting anxiety and depression. Hell, who wouldn't? Then when you admit that you are having those things, the doctors say...maybe thats whats causing so much pain. Chronic pain causes depression, and depression causes pain. which makes me feel like they are trying to say is all in my head, and its not.

I am sorry to hear what your going through. I understand, as I am having to go to the teaching hospital, and it is seems like I am getting treatment at a very substandard level. The teaching hospitals are so overfilled, that you are just a number. I have been going through the exact same thing, with faxing the MRI over and wait for them to call.Now I am suppose to drive over an hour to pain management and physical therapy, when sitting is what kills me the most.

Very frustrating.

I do take xanax usually at night. But have occasionally during the day and it helps, but not fixing the problem.....as nothing else is either.
    hang in there.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
    deeannek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deeannek HB User

Oh my yes i get anxiety. I can tell you that I feel that the ativan I take is just as important as my pain meds and it seems to make pain meds work better. If i am relaxed than of course I have less pain. If I were you I'd definetly ask for something. Plus the Ativan helps with the nausea I have from the pain meds.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Dear Sage,
    I'm sorry you're at such a low point right now. Chronic pain can be very wearing. Yes, definitely ask if you can take the Xanax, too.

Just a thought about the new PM. It's infuriating that the wait is soooo long, but if you went ahead and made the appt, you can always cancel it later if you don't want/need to go when the time comes. In the meantime, keep pursuing other options, but at least you would have that other appt on the back burner. Who knows what may happen between now and then. Also, many doctor's offices keep a list of patients who will come in on short notice in case another patient cancels at the last minute. They don't tend to tell you about that list, but when you make the appt, you can ask to be called if there are any cancellations. That's gotten me in quicker a couple of times.

Have that pity party! It's okay to feel sorry for yourself, even grieve for how your life has had to change, and vent as you need. Those are normal emotions! Then, hopefully, you'll work through it (again, if you're like me) and move on. It may take some time, but it won't always be like this. Do you have someone you could call to come spend some time with you doing something non-physical, like a board game, or watching a movie together? Some one who could just give you some company and be a distraction from your pain?

For me, prayer is the best thing for dealing with my anxiety. I hope you don't mind, but I prayed for you as I wrote this and will continue as I pray for others here on the board, too. I hope things look up for you soon. I understand so well what you're going through. Don't give up hope!

You take care!
    Blessings,
    Emily

Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
    elmoJ_1974
    (female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

Me too! I find it hard some days because my pain does rule my life. I also have 2 young kids to take care of. I'm constantly "edgy" and can't stand myself sometimes. Unfortunately no matter how much your family sees you in such pain all the time, they can never relate to you and that is the most frustrating sometimes. I'm anxious because of surgery and depressed because I never know how my day is going to go. I'm trying to hold out until the summer for my next surgery so I have more help with my kids.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

yvette777, deeannek, BlueAtlas (Emily!!), & elmoJ 1974...

Thank you all for your kind replies. I was having a bad morning today..and knew that if I wrote a note, I'd get some help..thank, you all...

I just lost faith in the teaching hospital..the attitude was just so unprofessional, that I wonder how they treat the patients once they get them! This hospital/university is almost 100 miles from my house..I would gladly travel this distance..even at the last minute, but I just got one of those bad feelings from speaking with the office staff...

I know that we all can get depressed from the chronic pain..who wouldn't..but I am now wondering if this new anxiety doesn't have something to do with me cutting back on the meds. I take for the adrenal insuffiency..and a trip that will require me to get on an airplane this Wed. I HATE flying...and I am only doing this because I do love my husband so much...his Mom lives up North and is 84..and he wants to spend Thanksgiving with her and his family.... I will drive anywhere....anywhere....BUT, if you suggest that we fly....yikes... Another reason I now think it may be the medication is that I am getting SVT's...not too many, but more than I've had in the last year....which cleared up when I was on the full dose of the med.
    I may have solved the anxiety issue somewhat...but I am still going to call the PM Dr., and ask him if it's ok if I take .25 of the xanax...I don't want to have him get mad because I took something without telling him. He is a good guy, and probably would not say much...but I don't want to take that chance.

I am so sorry we are in the same boat..it's not a fun ride. I thank you for all of your suggestions, thoughts and prayers....I really needed them today. I do hope you all are having a good day...

Sage

Closed Thread