It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• HELP!! Anxiety bad - Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
    HELP!! Anxiety bad - Zoloft?

Ok, today is day two with the Zoloft. On 25mg, and last night had something very stressful happen to me which made me really upset. This morning I woke up and am extremely nervous, and very very anxious. I am hot and cold, which is probably from the Zoloft, and very nauseated. What I am wondering is can Zoloft make me this anxious, or do you think it's from what happened to me last night? (Found out last night that someone had gone in my bank account and taken ALL my money out, so I was extremely upset) And, will the side effects go away? I know it takes awhile for Zoloft to work, but I wanted to know if the side effects stay with you or eventually go away. I'm freaking out right now. I really really want something to work for me. Thanks guys! Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User
    Re: HELP!! Anxiety bad - Zoloft?

miche31,

I have taken a lot of different types of SSRI's and anti-depressants and was never able to get through the initial spike in anxiety that they gave me. However, lately doctors prescribe a Benzo in parallel to get you through the initial anxiety the drug can cause. Everyone is different and some may find Zoloft to have no side effects, but I personally was not one of them. I would talk to your doctor about possible prescribing a Benzo to get you through the first month or so. If you are still having problems with it after a month then maybe Zoloft is not for you.

Personally, the only drug that helps me at all is Xanax and it has its problems as well. It is addictive and more difficult to stop than some of the other drugs out there. However, it eliminates the majority of my anxiety. I would avoid the Xanax XR version though, it makes claims to last 24 hours which I will attest is not true.

Anyway, moral of the story is, talk to your doctor about a Benzo to get you through the woods and see if that helps. After a month or so taper off the Benzo and see whether the Zoloft is helping. If not consider something else. I know it can be a real pain to find a drug that actually eliminates more symptoms than it creates, but keep at it and hopefully you will find your soon.

Later.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-19-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: LAST WARNING!...if you know a word is questionable enough that you have to @#@*&# it out then JUST DO NOT USE IT!!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
    Eve72
    (female)

Eve72 HB User

What happened to you would have made Mother Teresa anxious and stressed! But I would talk to the doctor anyway. Best of luck.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

Hey Miche31,

I just read another post where you said you were taking Xanax? Did that not work for your anxiety or did you decide that Zoloft would be better? Just curious. I take Xananx every day and it helps a LOT. I still have some crappy days, but nothing like before. Why give up somehting that works for something that makes you feel worse. Let me know.

Also, having your bank account raided is a pretty stressful event, so give yourself a few more days. That would definitely qualify as one of those crappy days I spoke of earlier. LOL. You can tell though if it is natural anxiety due to the situation or if you are going overboard. Usually there is insurance that will take care of that for you and all you have to do is wait. I hope your account was one of those.

Take care.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

I took a Xanax today. No it has not helped me since taking it. It stops the panic, yes, but it's like the thoughts are still in my mind, I just can't physically act out. It makes me very tired and spacey, and I'm only on 25mg. If I go lower, it does nothing, if I go higher, I'm asleep all day. And I do have depression too, over my heart issues. I'm really frustrated today. I know what happened last night would bother anyone, so it is difficult to tell what is causing this. I really don't think I could do this day after day on Zoloft, if this is what it is. Wow, how come some people are so lucky and don't have any single side effects?

Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User

Of all the SSRI's and other anti-anxiety non-benzo type drugs I've tried Zoloft was by far the worst for me. I was 10x more anxious and the other effects for me were insomnia, loud ringing in my ears to the point I couldn't hear anything else, horrible headaches, stomach and bowel problems, extreme dizziness, no appetite and nauseous all day - I had to quit after only 2 weeks. If the xanax isn't even helping you with the effects then most likely it's not the best med for you. My opinion only. It's a lot of trial and error when finding an SSRI. Also, 25mg is alot to begin with IMO, I started at only 10mg and had the bad side effects so 25mg would have killed me j/k of course but I wouldn't have functioned. Then again you have had something very stressful happen to you so maybe your stress level and anxiety is overriding the meds......maybe give it a little more time and see what happens. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this but you seem like a fighter and I'm sure once you're meds get straightened out you'll be feeling better Are you switching over to atenolol? How's the beta blocker thing going with you?

Take Care,
    Tori

Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi Tori,
    I am still on Inderal, tommorrow is my next check up, so I will discuss it with her. Last week I was able to get by on only 2 pills instead of 3 a day, so was doing a little better as far as the side effects with it, (until yesterday with the Zoloft). It just seems to bring my bp down too low if I need to bring the hr down. If I leave my hr mild/moderate, then my bp is fine. I have normal bp so this is hard with a bb. And I could be tired and dizzy from the anxiety/depression so it might not even be the Inderal, who knows anymore.
    I don't think I will take the Zoloft anymore, too hard, even with the darn Xanax. I don't think it should be that hard on the first few days! Are you on anything else Tori, or just the Atenolol and Xanax? I think I will try the Lexapro one more time, and not take the bb with it, so they are spaced out 12 hours apart. My stupid problem is I read the darn side effects, and Lexapro has an extremely rare side effect of A-Fib, and I am now scared of that, with my svt.
    I really would like to get out of this slump I'm in. I'm miserable.
    Michelle

Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User

Well, with the atenolol, if you do switch, ask for 25mg and start with that once a day and see how you do(it's the smallest dosage but can even be cut in half although it's very small and might be hard to cut). I'm on 25mg in the morning but used to take it before bed which helped more with the morning tachy I had but now I just take it in the morning because the morning tach isn't as bad. With me, my bp seems really good at home, sometimes even lowish 90's over 50's but I don't get dizzy or faint so my doctor said it isn't too low unless it is causing you problems like dizziness and fainting. Actually lower is better than higher from what they told me. But when I go to the doctor they say my bp is like 140/90! HUH?? So last time I brought my darn monitor with me and had her look at my memory on the monitor so she could see my bp is only high when I go to the doctor! She wanted to increase my atenolol cause she thought my bp was getting too high But after seeing my monitor's memory she said I had 'white coat induced hbp' and she doesn't even wear a white coat! lol - anyway, normally with just the atenolol 25mg and xanax 0.5mg 4x daily my bp stays within ok ranges even if it gets down to 90/50 she said it was ok. My pulse stays between 60-80 depending on what I'm doing. If I am really working hard around the house or out walking or playing with my kids it can get up around 110 or so but never fast runs like I used to have where it was going so fast I couldn't even count it taking my own pulse. The thing with benzos and SSRI's and the like is they can cause hypotension in some people especially the people who already take a bb. Your doctor should monitor you. I was also told by my cardio doc that my body will or has adjusted to the lower bp caused by the mix of the bb and xanax. Before the xanax I was on buspar and it lowered my bp and hr way too low and did cause dizziness and almost fainting so I quit it but it wasn't helping anyway. When I was on paxil for years I had no problems with the low bp or hr so each drug and reation with each person is different. Whatever you do, ask for the lowest dose and work up slowly(with the bb and SSRI) until you find the exact combo that works for you. For me, I will never take an SSRI again for many reasons - weight gain(gained 30 lbs in 6 months!, no sex drive, no orgasm, didn't give a crap about anything like I was emotionless. Plus I'm not depressed so my psych agrees I don't need an SSRI. Also, you said you were depressed and I felt I was too because of the anxiety but once I got that under control I realized my depression was gone, it was due to the anxiety, like a side effect of it. So maybe if you can get your hr(svt), bp and anxiety thing under control you'll realize you're not really depressed. I'm not saying your NOT depressed just my experience.

Let me know how your appt goes and take care!

Tori

Closed Thread