It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• HELP!!!!!I am completely clueless about makeup.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
    QUEEN * DOJ
    (female)

QUEEN * DOJ HB User
    HELP!!!!!I am completely clueless about makeup.

Ok so i don't know much about makeup. I don't know how to manipulate it or even what kind i should be using. so maybe somebody can help. I was thinking about giving myself a little happy and buying the Alexis Vogel kit but i am worried that it will irritate my skin (sensitive, Oily, light acne). So i need some advice. HELP!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: HELP!!!!!I am completely clueless about makeup.

I haven't heard about the Alexis Vogel kit.. honestly I'm not sure what it is! What is in the kit?

Also, what kind of a look are you going for? I'm guessing something more natural since makeup is new to you.. but are you looking to even our your skin? Or make your eyes stand out? What kind of things are you looking to do. This can help us all give you some great ideas!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
    QUEEN * DOJ
    (female)

QUEEN * DOJ HB User

well i definetly need to even out my skin but i am affraid makeup might irritate my skin. I would like a natural look ( a fake natural look i suppose) but i would also like to learn how to do a really glamourous going out look. I have tried other cosmetics before but i didn't get good results. My mother and my sister don't wear alot of makeup (just the occasional blush and lipstick) so there really isn't anybody to teach me how to put on makeup.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
    eve40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eve40 HB User

For someone with sensitive skin, light acne and very little makeup experience, I would suggest mineral makeup all the way. It doesn't hurt sensitive skin, it's easy to learn to apply and very forgiving, it won't make acne worse and is good for the skin.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
    QUEEN * DOJ
    (female)

QUEEN * DOJ HB User

right now i am using bare mineral ( or bare essentials ,whatever) and i have a few issues with it.
    1) it comes of easily . it wipes of on clothes and leaves them stained.
    2) When my acne acts up the makup doesn't hide the redness very well although this could be do to my lack of experience with applying the stuff
    3) my oily skin shines through. i tried the tips for oily skin and i even use a face wash for it but a few hours after appling my face is all shiney and greasy.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I don't know how sensitive your skin is, but mine is somewhat sensitive and a lot of products make me break out.

I think the cream foundations are easiest to apply, rather than liquids. I think Cover Girl Aquasmooth is really good and inexpensive, plus it is oil free. It's very easy to use! I like to dust a little put of mineral makeup OVER it and it gives me a flawless finish. I just buy a good, soft makeup brush for this. I use Mineral Basics powder.

You should try going to a department store makeup counter. They have lots of good tips. I love going to Benefit and they make your skin look amazing. They have a lot of little blushes or bronzers that makes your skin glow. For you I would suggest a natural looking blush, you can get a peachy colored one or a light pink.. .something not too dark or wild. And it's definitely worth it to buy your own brush for the blush b/c the tiny brushes they come with never work as well and are harder to use. I bought a brush for pretty cheap and it works great.

If you are a beginner with makeup, you might want to skip the eyeliner since it can be tricky at first. You can always get a pretty eyeshadow with a tad of shimmer in it. I would get a tan/taupe type color for something natural. Then mascara would be a great way to make your eyes stand out. I love the kind with the spike brushes.. there is one by Max Factor and CoverGirl makes one too. I believe it's called Lash Exact. I know nicer brands like Chanel even make it. They are great to get a clump-free look.

For lips I would suggest a neutral lipstick or lipgloss. There are pretty light pinks, honey colors, peach colors, light mauve that are very natural and very pretty. I really like Maybelline Wet Shine lipsticks. They are moisturizing and the colors are really nice.

Hope this helps! I would try to stick to more basic things and nothing too fancy for now.. and of course if you want to dress it up for night, you can try a darker eye makeup or darker lipstick. Those thick eye pencils are good to get a smokey eye that isn't too hard to do. I get a metallic gray one and use it as eyeliner.. but sometimes these dont stay on as well, so keep it in your purse with you for touchups!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I second going to a department store. You normally have to make an appointment for makeovers, so when you talk to one of the ladies there make sure you tell her that you want to learn how to apply everything. More than likely she will be thrilled to explain everything (I should know, I've worked at a cosmetics counter before and it was so fun to give makeovers! ).

Department store makeup can be pricey, but no more so than that Alexis Vogel kit you were thinking about. I've never known anyone who used the kit so I can't say for certain, but just from the advertisements the makeup looks SO heavy. I wouldn't worry about having lip liner perfect lips and heavily penciled eyes.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User

One word - Experiment!
    That's the best way to learn to apply makeup correctly. You can easily research on the internet for different beauty websites that will give you great tips on particular looks that you want to achieve. There are like a million of them out there... and most of them are very helpful.

I wouldn't recommend that you go out and buy some expensive makeup that you don't know how to use yet. Go to a drug store, but cheaper brands and experiment till you get the hang of it. That's basically how I learned how to apply makeup and over time I got really good at it.
    Just practice and research different looks till you know how to apply it yourself.
    Trust me, you don't want to go out and buy a bunch of expensive stuff only to realize that you don't like it or it doesn't work for your skin type. I've wasted a ton of money that way. Not worth it.

You can also go to a department store and get a makeover, get some good tips, etc, but that won't exactly help you learn how to do your own make up right away. Just practice and you'll get it right.
    I agree with turRrRa, start with natural shades till you get the hang of it, and eventually you'll be able to create more dramatic styles.
    Good luck!

Last edited by MoonLight0; 11-20-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

^Agreed! I like to go to department stores to try out products or learn new tips, but I usually buy cheaper brands. I find plenty of inexpensive products that work really well. I will buy a couple of higher priced products if I really love them and can't find a cheaper version. You can always go LOOK and go home and think about it and come back if you wanted something. Sometimes you find colors you can't find in the drugstore or really neat products, but a lot of the stuff you can find very similar things in drugstores.

For example, I usually buy cheaper eyeliner and mascara. I replace my mascara often and use it a lot, so I'd rather spend less since I buy it often. I buy cheaper eyeliner because I always misplace it! Sometimes you have to experiment with eyeliner and mascara because some brands DEFINITELY work a lot better than others.

Closed Thread