It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I'm Having Horrible Effects From First Lexapro...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User
    Re: I'm Having Horrible Effects From First Lexapro...

My stomach hurt last night, and then I had the worst pains that came two times for about ten seconds each... just this sharp excruciating pain. Then I had a very unpleasant trip to the bathroom. I felt constipated for a few hours, and then when I finally had to go it was the opposite.

Today I've become a bit worried about some of my symptoms... one is that I felt almost as though I could not stand up... I just felt weighted down, and when I laid down it was so very hard to get back up. I just felt like dead weight. Another one, I don't know how to explain other than just my mind hurts. I just feel like it's not functioning properly. These things aren't ALWAYS occurring but they last for hours.

Like you, I've also had a headache for all of the second half of today, hot and cold flashes (alternating from what seems to be minute-to-minute), very anxious, dizzy (especially when I bend over to pick something up), nauseated and stomach problems. I haven't had a "BMovement" all day today. It's only been 3 days and it seems like forever.

I am thinking about switching at night now... it sounds like it'd be much easier than during the day. But I just kind of have this fear of sleeping on it for some reason. I know you said you were having problems with it the other night, how is it going for you now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Yesterday was really good as far as side effects, I had hardly none. I was still very anxious and panicky, but strictly talking side effects of the medicine, it was very minimal. Now remember, I also have Xanax to take, which HELPS big time. Also, I had started out on 5mg to give myself time to build up to it.
    Ok, so last night I decided to go up to my 10mg, and today I feel AWFUL. I am so anxious, feeling like I'm going to crawl out of my skin, basically on the verge of a panic attack. I am also very dizzy, headache, and tummy is a mess, hurts really bad. I'm very hot too. I took a half a Xanax so hopefully it will calm it down a little. I kind of wish I didn't take the 10 and stayed at
    5, but I am hoping this is the only day it will be this bad, otherwise I'm going back to 5mg. I just don't know how much therapeutic benefit 5mg is?
    Yes, my symptoms don't last constantly either, just comes and goes. Let's hang in here, together, and keep our fingers crossed we'll feeling really good in 2 weeks. Take your pill at night, it really does help. Could you call your Dr. and ask them to give you some Ativan or Xanax for a week or two to help you get thru the side effects? It will really help.
    I literally had to make myself get out of bed this morning. I could just lay there all day, but I'm trying so hard to get better. I am going to go for a little walk too. I only take 10 minute walks, but that's better than nothing.
    Off for now, talk to you soon.
    Michelle

Old 11-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

How did you survive the day today? Mine got better as the day went on, but I was really tired all day tho. Due for dose number 5 in an hour. Michelle

Old 11-24-2006, 07:40 PM   #19
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

I didn't take my dose this morning, changing it to tonight... so I didn't feel too bad today, but I was also tired throughout the day. I think I'm going out tonight, so I'll be taking my 4th dose when I get home (Just to be certain things don't act up on my outing). Hopefully I'll be able to sleep through everything... but I still am a bit scared to sleep on it. I don't know why, part me would rather consciously experience all the side effects, I guess I feel more in control that way... stupid anxiety! I'll let you know how I do tomorrow, hopefully all goes well for us.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

So I took my dose last night, I think I like it much better at night... I slept very well. I had a short panic attack while driving this morning for a couple of minutes... I was able to keep it under control though, thankfully (for a moment I was really thinking there was something seriously wrong and that I needed to go to the hospital). When I got home though, those bad symptoms came up again... just feeling completely physically and mentally drained, but it only lasted for an hour this time and I spent the whole duration just laying down curled up. I started to wonder if I should still continue the medication. It's such a scary feeling, but I'm not sure if that's just my anxiety reacting to it. From there on I gradually felt better and better as the day went by. I'm going to give it a couple more days and if it persists I'm gonna call my psychiatrist about it. I'm just about to take my next dose. How are you feeling?

Last edited by JB68711; 11-25-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Same as you, off and on of feeling good, than feeling drained, then my afternoon I was feeling really good and very awake, almost like I drank a lot of coffee. I will be feeling fine and then all of a sudden feel really light headed. And my anxiety/panic is still here, I hope that goes away soon. Since going up to 10mg two nights ago I am more lightheaded, more anxious and really tired. I hope it's just my body getting used to an increased dosage. I know some people that do great on 5mg, so I hope 10 isn't too much for me. I am getting ready to take my 6th dose right now and go to bed. Talk to you tomorrow, Michelle

Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #22
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

Hey Michelle, my side effects have seem to decrease... I'm loving taking it at night (I sleep like a log now). Took my 5th dose last night, I haven't had any problems so far today, and I have an increase in energy too.

Question though, how have you been eating on it? I can't seem to get myself to eat much, yesterday all I had was a bowl of cereal in the morning and a small dinner at night. I've lost almost 3 pounds this past week, which would be great for some people but not for me... I had already lost a lot of weight due to anxiety/depression, and my psychiatrist told me that the medication would help me with weight gain (I'm male, 5'10 and now down to 115#). Hopefully I'll be able to eat more this week, other than that it's going pretty good.

Upping a dose shouldn't take too much of a toll since you're already getting use to the medication itself (I mean I wouldn't imagine upping the dose would restart the way your body has already adjusted)

Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #23
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi there, I'm glad your doing better on it at night. I woke up in the middle of the night with bad chest pain, heart racing (but remember, I have svt), hotter than heck and thought I was having a heart attack. I ran to the bathroom and poured cold water all over me and it went down.
    Today I can't wake up at all, and I"m cold and hot again. Still very dizzy. I'm going to post and see if it should still be going on like this. Today will be day 7 and it seems today is the worst as far as energy tired and lightheaded goes. I'm not noticing any differences in my anxiety or panic either. I hope it kicks in soon or I"m going to go crazy.
    I'm not eating much either and have also lost weight. I could lose maybe 10 pounds, but no more than that. Sounds like you don't have any to lose. I'm glad your doing well! Michelle

Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #24
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

Hey Michelle, it's been a few days... wanted to know how you've been doing. For me, the first few days of 10mg were bad... hopefully yours have gotten better. Sometimes I feel better, and sometimes I feel worse (I don't really have good days or bad days, just better and worse throughout the same day). Anxiety is still there, and I've actually been going out a lot less in the past week... maybe because when I do feel good, I don't know how I'll feel once I go out. I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow, who I haven't seen since I started the medication due to the holiday... so I'm looking forward to that. Are you seeing anyone? I hope you are doing better.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #25
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Hey there, well it's much better as far as side effects. I don't have any anymore. I too still have the anxiety, although today was not as bad. My days are like yours, the better and worse thruought the day. My huge problem is I got my days and nights backwards, so for me, maybe I might need to take my pill in the morning. I am going to bed at midnight and getting up all thru the night and at 6am I am WIDE awake, and then about 8am to noon I am sleepy and sometime take a nap. Then around 4pm to 9pm I am full of LOTS of energy. Mornings are still really rough for me. I wake up still anxious, so I'm hoping it will soon fade. I read on anothers post that someone believes that SSRI's can cause tachycardia and palpitations, and I hope that won't happen with me, because my whole anxiety is over my heart condition. But I guess I will just have to wait and see. I think for me I really needed something to help me cope, I just hope this is the right drug. I really don't want to take it for two months and then have to switch to something new. I read that a lot on here, where people have to switch different meds before they find the right drug. I couldn't imagine starting over.
    I am seeing a psychologist. I don't like going, to be honest, and I have to take a Xanax before I go. I feel like it's a huge waste of my money to go talk about how crappy I feel. He thought that was funny. He wants me to come weekly until I get some of my panic out of the way. So far I don't feel much from him, but he did say for me it was going to take some time because I obviously have a huge anxiety problem. He is hoping the Lexapro will work too so it can help me calm down to where I can let him help me too. I hope you like your counselor.
    Off to bed for now, where I can lay and stare at the ceiling, haha. I'm glad your sticking thru this, as well as me! Talk to you later. Michelle

Old 12-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #26
    JB68711
    (male)

JB68711 HB User

Hey Michelle... wanted to see how you've been doing since the end of November. I was definitely feeling a lot better during the 3rd week... but for a little more than a week now (since the very end of the 3rd week) I've been feeling the same way as before the medication, maybe even a bit worse. I had my follow-up appointment with the psychiatrist a week ago, about 2 days after I started feeling bad again, and told him that I was feeling better and that the medication seemed to be working, because I was hoping that I would start feeling better again. So then he wrote me a prescription (he had given me 4 weeks worth of samples before) and made an appointment for next March. I was thinking maybe I needed an up in dosage... I'm still on what I started, 10mg... but he didn't mention doing that. And I don't want to have to keep upping the dosage. I hope you've been doing better, let me know. I'm probably going to have to make an appointment for January if I continue to feel like I'm back where I started. I just hope this works... like you said, I'd hate to have to be on it for 2 months and then find out I need to "TRY" something else.

Last edited by JB68711; 12-17-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Closed Thread