It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ADHD and Adderall question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
    nzkiwi
    (male)

nzkiwi HB User
    Re: ADHD and Adderall question

Finding the right dosage of medicine is the key. With the stimulants there seems to be a therapuetic window. If the stimulant dosage is to low, lack of effect, to high and the side effects are troublesome. Higher doses of medicine are not always better. Perhaps a lower dose of medicine is better than no medicine at all. I think people need to try and get bye on the lowest dosage of stimulant they can, when you start elevating dosages you are going to start to see more problems, i.e tolerance, dependance,withdrawel, etc. Just my two cents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
    Rozebud
    (female)

Rozebud HB User

I am an adult who was diagnosed with ADD just a few years ago. I am now 50 years old. I am currently taking Adderall XR 30 mg. Before that I was taking the immediate release tablets, 10 to 15 mg 2X a day. When I finally saw a psychiatrist who specializes in the treatment of ADD, he recommended I try the extended release.

My response: I feel more like a "normal" person than I ever have in my life. I like the even release over time much better than the immediate release tablets. I feel more like I am managing my own life and less like I am dependent on a drug.

On another note, I recently spoke to a mother of an ADHD boy who was wanting to try her son on the time released Ritalin (Concerta) because she felt his dependency on the Ritilan was growing. He was starting to ask for it before the set dosage time at school.

Based on that and also on my own experience, I think that sometimes the time released stimulant drugs are better that the immediate release. I also believe you have to make careful decisions and monitor closely when putting children on the stimulant medications.

-Rozebud

Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

Amberlinas: Dexedrine is not the same as Adderall. Dexedrine is pure dextroamphetamine while Adderall is a mixture of 4 amphetamine salts (1 of which is dextroamphetamine). Dextroamphetamine is actually the component that acts directly on the brain to help us ADD'ers. Adderall's mixture is designed to give longer lasting effects (but increases the risk of side effects).
    So basically Dexedrine is the "clean" form of Adderall just like Focalin is the "clean" form of Ritalin.

J

Closed Thread