It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall, Ritalin not working, now what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
    abster82
    (female)

abster82 HB User
    Question Adderall, Ritalin not working, now what?

I have been recently diagnosed with ADD, and my Dr. started me on Adderall, 60 mg/day, for about 6 weeks. It seemed to help my concentration a little, but not enough. Now Dr. has me taking Ritalin 40 mg/day, it has not had any affect whatsoever,...nothing. I've read about Dexedrine, is this a good one for me to try next? what else is out there? thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User
    Re: Adderall, Ritalin not working, now what?

I've tried all three in the nine years since I've been dx., and Dexedrine has been the most help for me by far. I couldn't take the side effects from Ritalin (plus I metabolized it really quickly for some reason). Adderall helped somewhat, plus gave a boost to my mood that the other two don't, for some reason, but I've been on the Dexedrine long-term because it simply works the best on the ADHD symptoms. I did add Wellbutrin to it for the mood-boosting effect. It does take some experimentation to get things right. Good luck! Sue

Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
    abster82
    (female)

abster82 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Adderall, Ritalin not working, now what?

Here's an update...
    Saw my Dr. today, and told her what was going on with the Ritalin. Then I said that I had done lots of research on the different medications, and that I would really like to try Dexedrine. She doesn't like to prescribe Dexedrine. And she said that Adderall and Dexedrine are exactly the same, and when I said they were not she said If the Adderall didn't do a good enough job, the Dexedrine won't either. I didn't feel like arguing with her. I know that Dexedrine and Adderall ARE different. I really think that Dexedrine might be the one for me, but she won't even let me try it. Please help, what should I do? Thanx

Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
    New2ADD
    Inactive
    (male)

New2ADD HB User

Your Ritalin dosage is way too low compared to your Adderall. Current statistics show that both types are drugs are nearly equally effective but the dosage must be adjusted. Ritalin dosage should be around 1.5 times the dosage of an amphetamine to get the approximate same benefit.

Some other options to pursue:
    1. Increase the Ritalin (probably something in the 70-90mg range). Try some of the better Ritalin forumulations such as Concerta or Ritalin LA.
    2. Switch to the more potent Focalin (Focalin is the cleaner form of Ritalin and only requires half of what a Ritalin dose is). [removed]
    3. If your doctor doesn't/won't switch to Dexedrine then ask for Desoxyn. Desoxyn is supposed to be one of the best and rarely used meds for ADHD.

If none of these work then get a new doctor. The doctor is supposed to work for you and help you out.

Good Luck,
    J

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-08-2006 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

I'd agree with the above poster that your Ritalin dosage is way too low compared to the dose of Adderall you were on. I'd also add that Dexedrine is the ADHD med that's been in use the longest, and is considered a very safe drug in general (depending on individual physical condition, of course). Try talking to your current doc again, and if she is still dug in about the Dexedrine, consider switching docs. I've never had a problem having it prescribed from any doc I've seen. Sue

Closed Thread