It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin Flush

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #16
    Iajc_2006
    (female)

Iajc_2006 HB User
    Re: Niacin Flush

I am taking Niacinamide (I don't know if I can say what brand), 500 mg., twice a day. I do not have any problems with flushing. And in about a month's time, my HDL has risen almost 10 points.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #17
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Iajc,

That's AMAZING because it's not supposed to happen with niacinAMIDE.
    Certainly a way to eliminate the FLUSH.

Is it possible that HDL reading was a fluke?

If you get another reading that is +10, let us know and I'll try a bottleful.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #18
    Iajc_2006
    (female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

Lenin,

I suppose it is possible that the reading was a fluke, just like it may have been a fluke that my HDL DROPPED drastically (instead of increasing) when I began a regamine of vigorous exercise. I will be having it checked about every three months.

I did stop taking the Policosanol because I think it may have caused my glucose level to spike (see other thread). However, when I was tested, it did not appear that the Policosanol was doing anything for me. My other numbers (total cholesterol and LDL) increased slightly, but were still within an acceptable range.

I will let you know what happens the next time I'm tested. By the way, a naturopathic doctor recommended the Niacinamide.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #19
    buckeyesyd
    (male)

buckeyesyd HB User

Hello
    my doctor had me start up with 1000mg Niacin OTC, w/325mg aspiran 1/2 hr prior to taking Niacin OD. The 1st day or 2 will flush, but did go away with regular use. Have done this for last 6 months, blood test done 12/7 waiting results - if interested, I will reply. I am 43, hope this will relieve your anxiety - no known side affects with doing this to this point.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #20
    Manke
    (male)

Manke HB User

I got this from a web site. I was looking to try some Inositol Hexanicotinate myself but haven't started as yet. Apparently it has been used in Europe for years.

"According to the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP), Niacin or vitamin B3 is the treatment of choice for normalizing the blood lipid levels. Several double-blind placebo-controlled studies have found that niacin increased HDL (good cholesterol) by 30% or more while reducing total cholesterol by 10-25% and triglycerides by as much as 50%.[1],[2],[3],[4],[5] A common side effect of niacin is flushing which is the result of blood vessels opening wide. However, another form of Niacin called Inositol Hexanicotinate (IH) or “No-Flush Niacin” is proven as an effective and safer alternative to niacin.[6] In one study, Welsh and Eade reported that inositol hexanicotinate was more effective than niacin in regulating cholesterol levels"

[url]www.loweringcholesterol.net[/url]

Old 12-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #21
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

So syd,

What were your results? HDL up?

Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
    Iajc_2006
    (female)

Iajc_2006 HB User

I would be interested in knowing your test results after 6 months on Niacin. Other side effects listed are changes in blood glucose levels and liver problems.

Closed Thread