It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Has anyone suffered depression while on ortho tri-cyclen lo?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User
    Has anyone suffered depression while on ortho tri-cyclen lo?

i was on orth tri-cyclen lo for awhile. i had my tubes tied in Feb. and am going to have a reversal done YAAAA! i am thinking about going back on it after reversal. i never had depression while on it, but i have suffered from it since having tubal ligation(a common symptom i have learned), and i was jsut wondering anyone else's experience. i want to get on a pill t hat wil help with mood and depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Re: Has anyone suffered depression while on ortho tri-cyclen lo?

Birth control pills in general have the potential to have mood problems as side effects. This is because they deplete the B vitamins, which are responsible for the mood. When you go back on the pill, just take a good B complex and you should be fine.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
    destiny_hope70
    (female)

destiny_hope70 HB User

well i been on ortho lo for a couple months. When i 1st started I was moddy and depressed all the time.. I'd get sad over the smallest things and depressed. But I'm over it now for some reason for some odd reason. I guess I had my family and friends with me to make me feel better and I feel no need to think about stress or anything...

Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
    shannonkristin
    (female)

shannonkristin HB User

6 weeks after i had my son i was put on this, and basically i had pregnancy hormones all over again, if not worse. this pill is evil!!! i felt like i was going to go crazy. I know it had nothing to do with postpartum, because i was fine with my son. i have always had bad side effects with the pill, and i knew within a week of my first pack it wasn't for me!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My doctor told me that Yasmin has a pretty low risk of depression compared to some other pills. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Sometimes I deal with mood problems, but it's from events going on in my life and the way I look at things.. completely unrelated.. plus it started before I took the pill!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

All hormonal birth control pills can cause or exacerbate depression in certain women. This was definitely the case with me. I have a history of depression & eating disorders (this problem has been under control for many years now & I'm off antidepressants), but the depression I got on the pill was quite severe. It was different from the depression I had experienced pre-pill, but it was depression nonetheless. I'd wake up daily feeling this close to tears. I got super moody and anxious, even having panic attacks (no history of panic attacks pre-pill). I was crying daily and having severe mood swings all the time. I knew it wasn't normal at all. I had these problems on Ortho-lo, Ovcon35 (especially bad on Ovcon), Loestrin & Yasmin. Finally gave up on hormonal birth control. It was turning me psycho. I felt much better and more stable mood-wise just a month or 2 after I stopped the pill. No more hormones for me, thank you. I'm convinced if I hadn't stopped the pill when I did, I would have become suicidal again.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User

I had depression problems on ortho tri cyclen lo. I finally had to try a different brand. I was moody, angry, depressed, crying, etc. It was awful. It would last for a week or so. Now I only have those symptoms for one day a month which I guess is better. Every woman is different though.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
    bjz823
    (female)

bjz823 HB User

YES YES YES. I have tried maybe five different ones and for me that is the one that caused me the most depression. Actually I never noticed a mood change before that one.

Closed Thread