It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• post laminectomy/ibuprofen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User
    post laminectomy/ibuprofen

I had my 3rd back surgery in 3 years just 9 weeks ago, and it was a laminectomy (No. 2 was a laminectomy and No. 1 was a fusion). I've been suffering with extreme leg and buttock pain and getting very little relief from my regular doses of vicodin, soma, and lyrica. I have an appt. with the surgeon on Jan. 30, and I've been thinking, "Oh, no, here comes another fusion!"

Yesterday a friend suggested taking ibuprofen, and I've done that for over 24 hours now. I'm still taking the lyrica and soma, but will try weaning myself off them. The improvement in my pain is remarkable! Will it last? I don't know, but some of you who have the same problem might try it. This is definitely NOT for fusion patients! No nsaids for you!

Carole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
    Lisa123526
    (female)

Lisa123526 HB User
    Re: post laminectomy/ibuprofen

Hey Carole,
    I will be 4 weeks post op this thursday. I had a laminectomy also. Then the next day after surgery had to go back in the OR for a blood clot.
    I'm in so much pain in my right hip & leg.. It gets so bad that i can't walk i have to lay down..
    I'm taking Vicodin & Flexril for my pain.
    So your saying that the ibuprofin is working?
    Should i take the vicodin with it or no?
    I called my doctor last thursday because the pain was so bad. Of course he was in Florida at a conference & was due back that day..
    To my suprise i got a call from him from floriday.. He said my MRI 1 week post op looked great.. He said it is probably nerve pain.. And he told me if the pain doesn't decrease between now & my next visit which is Feb. 1st to call him...
    I'm gonna give it another week & hopefully things will get better before i call him... When i think about it.. What could he possibly do...
    I hope things get better & better for you...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User
    Re: post laminectomy/ibuprofen

[QUOTE=Lisa123526]Hey Carole,
    I will be 4 weeks post op this thursday. I had a laminectomy also. Then the next day after surgery had to go back in the OR for a blood clot.
    I'm in so much pain in my right hip & leg.. It gets so bad that i can't walk i have to lay down..
    I'm taking Vicodin & Flexril for my pain.
    So your saying that the ibuprofin is working?
    Should i take the vicodin with it or no?
    I called my doctor last thursday because the pain was so bad. Of course he was in Florida at a conference & was due back that day..
    To my suprise i got a call from him from floriday.. He said my MRI 1 week post op looked great.. He said it is probably nerve pain.. And he told me if the pain doesn't decrease between now & my next visit which is Feb. 1st to call him...
    I'm gonna give it another week & hopefully things will get better before i call him... When i think about it.. What could he possibly do...
    I hope things get better & better for you...[/QUOTE]

Well, Lisa, this is Day No. 2 of taking the ibuprofen, and I must say that it isn't "working" as well today as yesterday. I quit taking the vicodin because I didn't think it was doing any good at all, but I certainly can't tell you what to do in your case.

I know what you mean about the leg pain. You don't want to stand up and put your weight on your foot, right? And the butt pain is tough, too.

You're right about saying what can the doctor do? I'll just tough it out until January 30th when my next appt is scheduled. Hope you do better!

Closed Thread